Community (former NBC TV series, now Yahoo)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 8tracks, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's an interesting article on Community season 6 with comments by Dan Harmon.

What I found interesting was this comment:

"Community‘s sixth season has been well received. And thanks to its switch from broadcast television to the world wide web, it’s audience has never been bigger".

Another sign of the times in the demise of broadcast TV?

Harmon: “Everybody in the world watches Community, now we know, now that we’re not being measured by Nielsen … Surprise, surprise, you know, Yahoo knows how to count the clicks.”

Harmon doesn’t share exactly what those numbers of clicks might be, but that Yahoo has the data and it’s “two or three” times more than he would have guessed. “I always knew,” he adds, “there was like way more people watching this s**t than what ever that .9 represented.”

OldSoul and heatherly like this.
  2. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

As a fan from the beginning, I would like to watch the current season, but Yahoo doesn't seem too interested in making that happen. I'm just not going to sit in front of a computer to watch TV beyond a youtube clip. My tv has the Yahoo Screen app, but the show is not available on it. It should be unavoidable on launching the app, this is their big program... yet not there. Still.

3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

It was unavoidable on my Yahoo Screen app, for the first few weeks.

Go to channels. It is the first one on the list on my app.

Good luck!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

My computer is connected to my TV so thankfully I don't have to worry about apps.

5. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GullGutt and Deesky like this.
  6. progrocker71

yes, I'm serious, Chase hasn't been funny since the 1980s.

7. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Thanks, I browsed every option and nothing. I haven't tried in a week or so, but take check in from time to time.

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

That's incredibly frustrating.

Good luck!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

9. progrocker71

What device are you trying to watch it on? Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc?

10. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

The app is via tv directly. I plan on getting a Roku sometime soon because the tv doesn't have the HBOGO app and neither does my Sony blu ray player, but it's just annoying that
    the Yahoo app available on my tv doesn't have access to the show.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I like Bill Murray better.

12. progrocker71

I have a Panasonic blu-ray player with ancient apps on it that they no longer update, at this point the only remaining ones that still function are the Netflix app (though it only displays the queue, no ability to search) and the Amazon Prime app. I've thought about buying a different one but since I usually just watch via my browser (my Mac mini is hooked up via HDMI to my TV) I keep deciding I don't need to spend the money on another app.

These are the supported apps for Community on Yahoo Screen:

• Apple TV The Yahoo Screen app for iOS supports AirPlay, meaning you can stream "Community" episodes from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV box. Update: Apple TV also has a Yahoo Screen channel, so there's no separate iDevice required.
    • Chromecast Although Yahoo Screen for Android doesn't currently support Google Chromecast, you can enable the latter's screen-mirroring option to "cast" from your Android phone or tablet to your TV. I tried this with the just-released "Community" season 6 trailer, and the playback was smooth and sharp (though a little pixelated during scene transitions).
    • Roku Do you a own Roku box or stick? You're all set: Just install the Yahoo Screen Roku channel.
    • Xbox 360 Likewise, there's a Yahoo Screen channel for Xbox. Once installed, you can stream "Community" straight to your TV.

13. progrocker71

Bill Murray still totally has it.

Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd both seem to have gotten less funny with each pants size increase. :D

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yahoo Screen for Android has been supporting Chromecast for over a month now. Make sure you have the latest version of the app.

15. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Okay, another funny episode with a nice twist, though that stinger at the end was really odd.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Very funny and clever episode, brilliantly executed. There were so many funny moments coming thick and fast that it's hard to single any one out. Loved Britta's impersonations of Garrett and Aubrey Plaza; Chang's speech at the end; Abed's behind camera comments, and much, much more.

17. progrocker71

"My name is Elroy Patashnick and from 2006 to 2009 I was addicted to encouraging white people." :laugh:

"Everybody stay and eat cake....or GO TO HELL!"

Hard Panner likes this.
  18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

^^^^^ Now there's someone who knows how to quote lines from an episode of "Community"!

(as Elroy would say)

--Geoff

19. progrocker71

"Now there's a guy who knows how to marry his cousin!"

Hard Panner likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Amazon.co.uk are showing November 2 as release date for the Season Six DVD set.

For those of you who can't get Yahoo.

The release date will probably be the same in North America, or possibly even a week or so earlier. Fingers crossed.

21. progrocker71

I have to admit the finale got me a little sad, I really don't want this to be the last time we see these guys together in one place. But, if it is the end, I think they did a nice job of wrapping it up.

rainspainplain and guy incognito like this.
  22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Now the drumbeat for a movie will begin in earnest. If such a thing does come to fruition, I hope there's a way for Shirley, Troy and Ghost Pierce to be a part of it.

23. progrocker71

The disclaimer for the Community board game was brilliant....

"Dice not included. Some assembly required. Lines between perception, desire and reality may become blurred, redundant or interchangeable. Characters may hook up with no regard for your emotional investment. Some episodes too conceptual to be funny, some too funny to be immersive and some so immersive they still aren't funny. Consistency between seasons may vary. Viewers may be measured by a secretive, obsolete system based on selected participants keeping hand written journals of what they watch. Show may be cancelled and moved to the internet where it turns out tens of millions were watching the whole time. May not matter. Fake commercial may end with disclaimer gag which may descend into vain, Chuck Lorre-esque rant by narcissistic creator. Creator may be unstable. Therapist may have told creator this is not how you make yourself a good person. Life may pass by while we ignore and mistreat those close to us. Those close to us may be those watching. Those people may want to know I love them but I may be incapable of saying it. Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus."

Evidently Dan Harmon himself did the voice-over of the "disclaimer".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Hard Panner likes this.
  24. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 22h22 hours ago
    The finale airs in a couple hours. I'm gonna delete my Twitter app and take a couple weeks off the internet and no interviews and I love you

After I read his tweet from last night I woke up a little earlier this morning because I couldn't wait to watch the finale. I was glad they seem to have left the possibility for another season. Otherwise I'd be completely depressed. My heart sank big time when Abed said he was going to LA. That one caught me off guard. That show that Abed said he is joining was from a pitch of Harmon's for a show he had mentioned on an episode of his podcast.

25. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Wonderful finale for the season (or series). Sad and funny as heck...

Hoping for a season 7... or a movie...

If not, it was a great ride and I'll miss Greendale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.