Complete Black Adder DVD!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by quadjoe, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all! When I went to the Mall this evening, I discovered much to my delight that the Black Adder series from the BBC are now out on DVD, it's a bit pricey, but I think I'll ask for it for Christmas. For those of you who don't know, Black Adder stars Rowan Atkinson (of Mr. Bean fame), and the shows are fall-down and roll on the floor funny. Are there any other Black Adder fans here? BTW, here's a link that shows price comparisons for various on-line retailers:

http://www.shoppingaisles.com/produ....jsp?referral=overture&search=black+adder+dvd

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I have had the box set for a couple of years now. Classic stuff. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was certainly less than $80. Why so expensive?

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

The Blackadder series ranks along the all time comedy classics - the end of the final show in series 4 was voted as the most memorable moment in a comedy over here in the UK (note not funniest - it does raise the hairs on the back of your neck though even if you don't have them).

There are also another two DVDs available alongside the 4 series - these are

BlackAdder - Back And Forth and
    Blackadder's Christmas Carol

All the best - Andrew :)

4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I LOVE the Blackadder series. I've had the box set for just over a year now and I've been through it nearly 3 times. FWIW, I bought my set through NORTH AMERICAN DVD, a Canadian vendor, for around $70.

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Agreed. It's right up there with the end of "M*A*S*H" season three, the sort of moment that's virtually unimaginable on 99% of TV sitcoms or dramas.

I got the complete series DVD about a year ago, and I know I didn't shell out $80+ for it. Maybe it's going out of print and supplies are dwindling?

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I have enjoyed it a lot overall - sort of slow and not always funny at the beginning (the initial part of the series), but it gains momentum as it goes, and the Butler/Prince Regent/Baldrick episodes are truly hilarious - comedy at its best. The previous (Elisabethan) installment is quite good too - lots of funny moments there, and Mirandah Richardson is great as the wacky queen:)

The final episode in the WW I part is a different matter... I can see why it was voted the most memorable moment in a comedy.

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, I had no idea that this had been out so long. I guess that when you live at the end of every distribution chain, that's what happens. As for the difference in price, I am at a total loss to explain it unless the one I saw in the store and on the web is a new release (I doubt it). I'm glad to hear that you all have been enjoying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.