Conflicted about Zep?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by michael landes, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Ok, now the thread has officially derailed.

2. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Glad we can provide you with some good laughs, and also with the blues music that you understand and appreciate so much better than we do.

I've never been to your fair country, but my time in France, England, and Italy has demonstrated to me that Americans have no monopoly on stupidity.

Macman and Murph like this.
  4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

We had a thread just recently started by a European member - about the nebulous 'blues purist'. When I think blues purist, the first thing that comes to a mind is someone who's not American.

As a 19th century social historian once said: generally the farther one is from the subject they're interested in - the more they tend to assert their expertise. Asserting the academic is often to make up for the lack of actual experience.

5. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

It's not even worth mentioning in any discussion about Led Zeppelin "borrowing".

6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

That is probably true - but it does not rule out a great deal of knowledge on the part of the adademic. Would love to read stories about "real-life blues experiences" on this forum, but they seem to be scarse unfortunately.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You're welcome to come over to Mississippi and hit the juke joint with me. Wouldn't be the first Euro-dude to make that pilgrimage.

dino77 likes this.
  8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Perhaps they were confused by the fact that you did not use the word "influenced" in your previous post. You used the word "borrowing". It's a very different word with a very different meaning.

Of course your argument wouldn't have gone anywhere if you had used the word "influenced" from the start. But I suspect that you knew that...

9. Raunchnroll

No doubt. I'm with ya. I'm sure we could get together and have a few laughs over glug about the lesser aspects of our respective cultures. Sweden is not so mysterious where I live because a sizable part of the population trace our ancestry to the nordic peninsula and isles. Plus, I have a couple friends who have summer cabins there up north, and split time between the countries.

dino77 likes this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

When I first heard Led Zep, ages ago, I was turned off by the seeming exhibitionism of it all. Then I heard their models from Chess and wound up being impressed—Robert Plant does a pretty mean Sonny Boy Williamson. Now I find the band among the most musically interesting of its time. The earlier music—the first 2 LPs—gave me more problems, the blatant rip-off [to my mind] of the Chess "sound" being at the top of that list. Now I find them particularly interesting from "Houses of the Holy" onward dues to how much they "appropriated" from "Prog." Very interesting group.

dino77 likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i would venture that americans have a better insight into the ethnographics of sweden than swedes in general.

12. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

I'd love to hear your experiences on the subject.

My advice is to quit while you're ahead. Insulting an entire country that you know little about isn't going to gain you any favour in this debate.

13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Not sure how you mean there...? I highly doubt it but don't know what people you know.

14. Raunchnroll

That... I disagree wholeheartedly with. But we're off subject.

15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Ouch, better watch out for your allies the Norwegians then. Anyway, I do bow out so this can get back on topic.

16. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

You can bet your life on the forum Zep haters coming out of the woodwork for these threads, I could list them all off by heart, it's funny.:laugh:

dino77 likes this.
  17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I think he meant that that statement was just as silly as the notions that Swedish blues fans have more of an insight into blues culture than the Americans who live it and created it do.

Kevin j likes this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

holy crap, it was a JOKE based on your assertion that swedes know more about the blues. sorry...next time i'll t y p e s l o w e r.

19. Raunchnroll

I didn't take his post as an insult. (In fact there is some truth to it.) To be fair, some of my favorite historical works & treatises on American culture and history are authored by historians / writers from Europe. Having a different vantage point and perspective is extremely valuable. I should mention though that all of them immersed themselves in America (i.e. lived here). We are a land of foreigners after all, some of us having docked a bit earlier than others.

20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny or cutting? Thought so.

21. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

I asked a friend to help us get back on track...

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

ah man, i should have checked with you first since you are the expert on what's funny. sorry.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and to the subject at hand, count me as one who is conflicted on zep. i loved them as a teenager but eventually sold off all my cds. now i have most of their discography on vinyl and i'll play a record every once in a while, but it doesn't move me the way it used to. i guess i've moved on.

24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Exactly!

25. Raunchnroll

I wish I could recall the source but I remember reading this wonderful review of the Allman Brothers, about the sources of their music, what it was like to grow up as a kid in the south of the 40's and 50's. The point was that no kids from that period ever had to 'study' their heritage and culture, they were steeped in it, they naturally absorbed it, consciously and subconsciously, whether black or white. The Allman's et al played southern music with its gospel and blues and country flavors as naturally as they were bred on its air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.