Conical fans, .6 or .7 stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 33na3rd, Apr 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been playing the Paradox rebodied Shure SC35C/M35X with the N35X stylus, and am still surprised how pleasant this modest setup sounds. The modern Shures use a .7 conical, but in the past used a .6 conical. Jico's conical replacements are .6 mil.

Has anybody here tried the Jico .6 conicals? Do you prefer it to Shure's .7?

I would imagine that the .6 would have more HF information, perhaps trace the inner grooves more easily too?

Is there an advantage to the .7?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    2xUeL likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sorry maybe off-topic but I bought a Jico replacement for my NOS M44C and it's .7 . No .6 option but I love the way mine sounds so I wouldn't risk the change even if I had the option to. I'd say if you want to retrieve more HF info you should go elliptical ? Is there such an option for your cart as there is for mine ?

regards

33na3rd likes this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm. Well, I thought I had read that the Jico conicals were .6 mil. But now I can't find the information to confirm that. I checked Jico's website but don't see it there either.

Thank you for letting me know about your experience with your M44C! I appreciate that!

I may get an elliptical or higher, but I wanted to explore the conicals a bit too!

beat_truck and The Pinhead like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like having both tip sizes. Sometimes one does a better job with a given record than the other.

sami and 33na3rd like this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

If I use conicals it mostly is an old AT with 0,5mil tip, it´s very good sounding. Have limited experience with Shure.

33na3rd likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have an old AT made Pioneer cartridge with a .5 mil tip, the old PC-35. I also like having this option available. A big advantage to owning a tonearm with headshells.

Rolltide, 33na3rd and sami like this.
  7. muskrat

muskrat Well-Known Member

vintagelectronics.com they have nos .6 stylus. Got a sc35c last week, works great. Not sure if it's better, yet. They have many choices in shure stylus, got an n75ed also. Not expensive. Ebay seller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.