Connecticut: Turntable setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ceddy10165, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

I am in Connecticut.

I recently got my first "grown up" turntable--a project 1.2.
    It was a discontinued floor model from Tweeters--it has never been setup, and I have never had a table that needed setting up and calibration.

Having done research and attempted to correctly set it up, I have reached the point where I've decided I need a pro, or non-pro pro, to setup my table so that I don't do damage.

Can anyone suggest a good place to call or take my table to be setup properly in the area?
    any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

2. JMT

JMT Senior Member

He doesn't sell these, but you might give a call to Todd over at Todd the Vinyl & Headphone Junkie. Todd is a buddy of mine and knows a lot about the proper set up of turntables. Good luck.

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Hi
    I had the Pro-ject 1.2. I remember it being pretty easy to set up, as it is already fitted with a cart. I think you just had to balance the arm, set the tracking force and then fit the anti-skate loop weight on the correct notch, as stated in the manual.

Do you have the manual with it?.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

What is wrong with Tweeters, they are all always advertising that they know audio / video gear, why can't they set it up.

5. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Actually, i just looked at the manual online for the US version. Mine was the UK model and did not mention any adjustments for Tonearm height & vertical tracking angle, as listed in the US manual.

This makes the set-up more involved, but it seems straightforward enough if you follow the manual.

I would have thought the tonearm height & the VTA would already have been adjusted at the factory to a set level, so you may just need to check that it is ok.

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

thanks for the chiming in folks.

Tweeter's may say they know audio and video, but if you've shopped at my local store, you'd understand why I would never trust them. My wife bought the table for me as an anniversary gift, they swore it worked, and they even "tested" it for her. Come to find out there's no belt on it when it comes home, so how they "tested" it i'll never know. anyway, I get tired sitting on hold to finally talk to some burnt out dude who obviously knows less about what they're selling than I do.

anyhoo, yes, I do have the manual and followed the directions accordingly. It still doesn't sound like I got it right. We could have never afforded the gear were it not on clearance, so I don't want to mess it up in my ignorance, and end up trashing the cartridge.

I figured if there was some one recommended in the area, I could get it set up correctly, and hopefully get a tutorial in the process. All of my previous turntables had the speakers and cassette deck attached, so I'm feeling a little overwhlemed. just wanna play LPs with the big boys! : )

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'd be shocked if any of the people at my local Tweeter stores could set up a turntable properly. Outright shocked.

8. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Somehow in the last few years, Tweeter has become the McDonalds of Audio Stores.

progrocker likes this.
  9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I understand your point, but if Tweeter is McDonald's, what is Best Buy? 7-11? :D

When I got into audio five years ago, Tweeter had a much better selection of components. Yes, they still have Sony ES, Denon, and Pioneer Elite, but they have nothing else. Five years ago, Tweeter carried Adcom.

10. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Tweeter? What's Tweeter? Am I the only Northeast member who doesn't know Tweeters? Are they the restaurant with the buffalo wings and scantily-clad waitresses? :D
    Seriously, never heard of them.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

why don't you tell us specifcially what trouble you're having and we can walk you through it. i had a 1.2 a while back, it really easy to set up, but there are a few basic steps you need to follow.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

you might also want to look in the yellow pages for a used stereo/stereo repair shop. they usually sell tables and have somebody who can do basic set up for a few bucks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.