Considering buying new headphones. No idea about impedance or ohms

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by billy1976, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billy1976

billy1976 Member Thread Starter

In the past when I've bought new headphones I just picked up the best I could afford. I've never looked at the specifications. However over the last few days I've been looking online for a decent pair and really can't decide what to go for. The main thing that's really confusing me is if I decide to buy some Beyerdynamics (which I may or may not do) what ohm do I go for?

I'm going to be using these to listen to records. I have a Technics 1200 and a Sony TA-F270 amplifier. This is it Sony TA-F270 powerful Amplifier in black, 12 Months Warranty | eBay

I was considering going for a pair of 80 ohm headphones. Would that be too much? Or could I get away with an even higher impedance? I just want to plug the headphones into the amplifier without having to purchase anything else. The sole purpose of these headphones will be for record listening.

I'm in my early forties and have been buying headphones for years but when it comes to specifications I have no idea. I've never spent a three figure sum on a pair either.

2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

3. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

What is your budget for the headphones? Somehow I doubt you want to spend $1000 on Audeze headphones using a $150 Sony amp.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup; I'd loose that amp if I were you.

rodentdog likes this.
  5. harby

harby Forum Resident

On what basis? That it is made in Japan instead of China like anything else you'd get these days? That it has frequency response to 100kHz with 0.007% THD? It has lower signal-to-noise than a CD? That it has no DSP or built-in tuner to affect the sound, it is just pure analog? It includes phono with a selectable subsonic filter, and bypassable tone controls that you'd object to?

Or just brand snobbery?

The straw-man response here seems to be "but have you heard it?"; I won't sink to that level.

Headphone outs on this type of receiver are usually just padded versions of the output on the speaker channels, suitable to run down to 8 ohms or lower. They still give ample drive current from the 60W output transistors, and unless you are running the most esoteric headphones, the headphone jack will work fine (and in the latter case, you hook them up as speakers).

[​IMG]

Value returned on your money invested in headphones stops right about here: Etymotic Research | NEW ER4 Earphones

dchang81, LarryP, H8SLKC and 2 others like this.
  6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Just love this photo - Jecklin Float Electrostatics. I had a pair - my kids used to take their friends in to see me wearing them. Never figured out why they all invariably burst out laughing. Absolutely NO deep bass, but great dynamics. A little harsh. Stax were FAR better. The lower impedance Beyerdynamics may be better for you - e.g. the T5P gen 2?

7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Look at some reviews. Head-fi.org is a very good place to look. You might consider a headphone amp. I like Schiit but there are many others. The Magni 2 Uber will drive just about anything and you will have a volume control within arms length. What is your budget? You don't have to spend a bunch of money on phones but there are things to consider. Open vs closed back. Detailed vs warm. Big bass?

rodentdog and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The standard headphone output for most devices is designed around 32 ohms being the load. Check out Grado as well. The SR225e is exceptional in sound and value. They work great as a hi-fi set at home and as easily into a portable player without the need for a headphone amp.
    -Bill

rodentdog likes this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So are the sr80's for that matter. I got a pair on massdrop for $80. The massdrop fostex are pretty outstanding. Comfortable, but colored.

10. billy1976

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I want to spend much more than about €150 (which is about $170).

I don't have super sensitive audiophile ears or anything so I just want something that reproduces the sound fairly accurately. I don't want headphones that adds bass but if what I'm listening to should sound bassy I'd like to hear it if that makes any sense. I'm currently using a pair of Sennheiser 449 headphones. Even they sound decent to me but really they're designed more for iPods or phones so I think I could do better.

My amplifier is fine by the way. I just bought it recently to replace my broken Technics. I have to turn the volume up a bit more than on the Technics but apart from that I can't hear anything about it that would make me want to get a new one. I think it could sound really great with the right headphones. I think it has more potential than what I'm hearing.

The main reason I was going to go for 80 ohm Beyerdynamics is because they seem to be the easiest to find on eBay (eBay Ireland at least) and I found a few pairs in my price range. I didn't have my heart set on them or anything, they were just more readily available than anything else. I'd have no problem with another brand or using 32 ohm if I could find a good pair.

Thanks again for the advice. It's much appreciated. One more question - how much sound would open back headphones let in or out? Although I'll be listening at home there is often noise outside. If my obnoxious neighbours are shouting at each other or there's a bunch of drunk people walking past the house at 3.00 AM shouting at the top of their voices would the headphones let in the noise? And if someone is sleeping in another room would the sound from the headphones be enough to wake them?

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

You don't state what model Beyers you are considering? Please do.

In your budget, I highly recommend the Audio Technica ATM-50X . They play nice with things like a computer or IPad, and are really great with higher quality AVR's and of course dedicated headphone amps. They are closed back, which ends to give you more low end, and you are less likely to be disturbed by those coming home from the pub!

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rethink your budget. Don't try and justify being cheap by saying that you don't have golden ears. Everyone, no matter their hearing ability hears more through better speakers and headphones. You have to live with your decision. If you buy another mediocre pair of headphones, you'll then just have two pair, neither of which being what you hoped for. My advice is to buy a better set and sell the cheaper one to recover some of the cost.

Definitely get a 32 ohm pair (38 is OK) to get the most versatility and best performance. Open back headphones, in general, sound way better than closed back headphones. You have to pay a lot more to get better performance in a closed back design, and then at some point on the price scale there is no closed back option that can outperform the more expensive open back models. Open back designs sound effortless and clear with a very natural and spacious feeling to the sound. Closed back cans sound constrained and have this pressure chamber that make your ears feel and hear things unnaturally, like when you have your hands cupped tightly over your ears or place a seashell or a literal can over one, it just feels different than the uncovered ear. Open backs allow equal pressure on both sides of the driver so that they sound almost as if nothing is covering the ear. They leak a tiny bit of sound, not enough to disturb anyone through a door or wall, and no the drunks won't disturb you either unless you sit on your front steps.
    :)
    -Bill

Jack Flannery likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I recently bought both Beyerdynamic 880's and 770's, and because I'm an audio nerd I figured I had to get the highest impedance versions of both, which are 600ohm and 250ohm respectively. The 250 ohms just need a decent amp, where as the 600 ohms basically require you connect them to a car battery; I'm not sure why these even exist as people say the difference between the 600 ohm version and the lower ohm versions are subtle at best.

I don't think you'd have anything to worry about with 80 ohm, you could probably even run them off a phone and get them as loud as you could stand. If they're the path of least resistance I'd go for it.

I wouldn't suggest the open back Beyer models to be honest (and note that "semi open" = open). Very shy on the bass, and basically require a silent listening space as they block out absolutely nothing.

14. billy1976

To be honest I currently have a three figure sum in the bank so $150-$200 is an absolute fortune to me.

I didn't have a specific Beyerdynamic model I was looking for. I was just searching on eBay for the best deal I could get and wasn't too fussy about the model. For some reason the cheaper ones are 80 or 250 ohms so I think I've now ruled out Beyerdynamic.

I had been looking at Audio Technicas too. There's a pair on eBay for a reasonable price. I might go for them.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s. I love their sound and their comfort. They can be on my head for an hour without any irritation.

16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Like pillows on your ears? :D

timind likes this.
  17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

No wonder extraterrestrials won't contact us.

18. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Bill, how would you summarize the difference(s) between the SR80s and 225s?

Maybe it's silly to say that a brand is "better" for record listening than digital , but I "like" my 80s for CDs (maybe wishing for more richness or whatever), but love them for vinyl, almost as if they themselves are getting into the grooves.

19. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

There are lots of great headphones out there. It would also be helpful to know what music you like. Do you want a well balanced headphones or bass heavy or ???

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A good budget headphone that I like is the Brainwavz HM5. It's available at Amazon UK for a nice price. There is also the LINDY HF-100, which is essential the same headphone (same OEM makes them).
    BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (£79.50)
    LINDY HF-100 Premium Hi-Fi Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (£62.77)

They're 64 ohm, but efficient enough to be driven by a laptop and get plenty loud. They're a closed headphone, but have a good open soundstage for a closed headphone. Frequency response is neutral and flat. I have a couple pairs of the HM5. They're my go-to headphone for plugging in directly to a computer or other source that isn't amped well enough for my other headphones. You can find reviews for the HM5. The LINDY HF-100 doesn't have many reviews due to it not being distributed as widely.

The Beyer headphones tend to have a little bit of a smile curve with more bass and treble in comparison to the HM5 and HF-100. The HM5 is more neutral and flat in comparison.

The HM5 does have a lot of plastic parts. Some people have complained that the plastic parts on the headband can crack and break. I've owned the HM5 for about 5 years and haven't had any problems. It may depend on how rough you are on the headphones. The Beyers have more metal parts and are more sturdy and will take more abuse. The Audio-Technica M50x would also be more sturdy and take more abuse than the HM5. For primarily home use the HM5 is plenty sturdy for me.

rodentdog likes this.
  21. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Aren't Sennheisers made in Ireland? The HD558se or whatever is pretty affordable and good I heard.

22. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Better drivers. Or better closely matched drivers. Wiring has been upgraded. Then for 325 the housing is aluminum instead of plastic and also the headband is padded.

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The SR225 has a warmer and smoother sound than the SR80. It is the best value in the entire product line. I think that it is also the best headphone in the Prestige series. The Reference series are eve better, but also much more expensive.
    -Bill

rodentdog, H8SLKC and whaiyun like this.
  24. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I bought the SR225e a week ago and love it! Tempted to get the RS2e now

H8SLKC likes this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

If you like it, that's all that matters:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.