Constantine...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fjhuerta, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I watched this movie yesterday. I was looking forward to it - the trailers looked like what Reloaded should have been like.

I'm a bit undecided about it...

I thought Keany Reeves doesn't have to worry about typecasting. It's painfully obvious he can only play one role - the confused, monosyllabic "dude". I wonder if he could play a role like the one he did in "The Devil's Advocate", or memorizing more than 3 words would be too much for him.

The movie is... I liked it. I guess I would have to watch it twice or three times in order to really decide whether it's a great one or not. The fact that I would actually watch it more than once is not that bad.

My wife hated it, though.

(Spoilers)

I thought the ending was lifted straight off "Bedazzled".

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw Constantine last week. I thought it was quasi-religious supernatural claptrap...although I found it to be largely entertaining quasi-religious supernational claptrap.

Is that a thumb's up? Not sure myself. Proceed at your own risk.

3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Looks like waiting for dvd or cable release is the deal on this one.
    Seems like the time between theater release ad dvd release is growing shorter all the time.

4. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I saw this movie last Wednesday. I wish Hollywood would attempt to be more biblically correct when doing these type of films. Either make it Hollywood or make it religious. The two realms are basically incompatible.

Overall, I recommend waiting for DVD in order to see this one. It was ok, but not really all that good. IMO.

5. fjhuerta

I was reading on the IMDB Nicholas Cage was supposed to be John Constantine.

I wonder - how much better would the film be with Cage?

Also, I agree with GammaSpace: make it Hollywood or religious, but not both...

6. RDK

RDK Active Member

Could you elaborate? I have no idea what you mean by this... :confused:

7. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

If you go by the comic book that it was based on, Sting should have played Constantine.
    Always stick to the comic book!

8. fjhuerta

Well, the movie tried to portray Gabriel (an Angel) as a hybrid living on earth, who turned his back against God... or a supposed Bible that said the Devil would rule the earth when his son lived here... that's Hollywood-meets-religion in a clash of weird and possibly insulting ideas.

9. Well, like with all things, an individual just has to decide for themselves. I thought Keanu was good in Devil's Advocate, and I think that movie was pretty much panned by "the critics" too.
    I like it, and want to give Constantine a shot.

10. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I like Constantine quite a bit. Not an oscar winner, but good fun. I had no problem with the Gabriel/Satan/Hell/Bible/Hybrid/Bush thing.

stumpy likes this.
  11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Or that guy who played Spike on "Buffy". Really ****** movie though.

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Saw this last night and enjoyed it very much. I've been a John Constantine fan ever since he first appeared in Swamp Thing, and then his own book (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I've got originals of the first and second runs of Swamp Thing and about the first three years of Hellblazer) so I was a bit wary at first. Even though he wasn't Sting I think Keanu did a good job. There was one huge failure of internal logic at the end that bugs me, but apart from that a decent film; I think it succeeded in its aims in the genre.

John K.

13. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I guess there is going to be a TV show now? I really liked the comics but I don't know how well it translates to film and TV.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Series started last night. 'S alright. Might develop into something decent.

Why the two English leads though? Bugs me a little. Matt, okay, doesn't matter that he's Welsh I guess. But Lucy Griffiths isn't hiding her accent very well and there's no reason for her to be speaking with one. I'll get over it. . . .

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

For the movie, I have two words....... PETER STORMARE!
    I could watch him playing Lucifer all day!
    So wonderfully evil and weird.

stumpy likes this.
  16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The pilot was also directed by a Brit. Neil Marshall who did The Descent, Centurion, Doomsday and some episodes of Game of Thrones.

17. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Lucy Griffiths is off the show now, the Producers decided very on after the pilot to go with another female actress/character

lbangs likes this.
  18. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I watched the pilot and had to turn it off after five minutes. Couldn't deal with the U.K. accents. And the guy they picked to cover Reeves from the movies was just BAD! Maybe I need to see a complete show, but I don't think this is going to make to the end of the season. As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of the movie mostly because of the characters and the actors. Great "B" movie title.

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, he's got a British accent because he's supposed to be British--at least he was in the comic. Reeves couldn't do an accent if his life depended on it, so he played it as an American.

I think the lead was overplaying, again in comparison to the comic, where no matter what's going on Constantine always appeared nonplussed by the proceedings. In spite of that I kind of liked it and will stick with it for a few episodes to see where it goes.

John K.

20. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

He's British in the Hellblazer comic.

norman_frappe likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

As a recreational reader of Hellblazer and other Vertigo titles, I thought the premier was decent. It's got potential -- as do a lot of Vertigo titles, actually -- so I plan to give it a chance.

One thing that's kind of exciting is that with SFX getting so good these days, titles like Hellblazer have a real shot at getting made well. I'm still holding out hope for Sandman one day...

norman_frappe and chrischerm like this.
  22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That would be great if done well!

chrischerm and jriems like this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think it's just a bit too late.

Shows like Buffy/Angel/Supernatural/Dresden Files/Grimm/Lost Girl and even True Blood have already gone over much of what's going to be covered here. We watched it and found nothing new. At least they got the lead character about 85% right.

Annoying as the source material pre-dates most of these by a long chalk.

24. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I like the humour in this show. And the ambiguity of the ending of the second episode.

"There are those that pray for you, and those that prey on you..." What a great line.

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I kinda bored with it I give couple more times . But , when can I predict
    the whole episode it's gets stale real quick.
    Minor grip wear different clothes your not friggen superman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.