Cooking show hosts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pocofan, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

[​IMG]

Dan Ackroyd as Julia Child...

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm a fan of Good Eats. I like that not only does Alton Brown show you how to cook but also the history and science behind the dishes, while also doing it with a sense of humor.

3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

PBS has a sub-channel, Create, which is filled with good cooking shows, plus a smattering of crafts, travel, etc. As far as I'm concerned The Food Network has been useless since it became All Guy Fieri All The Time.

MikaelaArsenault and danner like this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Food Network Star is fun to watch. These folks are actually cooks vying at a chance to get a show.

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yeah, but those were made 10+ years ago when FN was still about food.

6. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What station are you watching? You might want to try P.B.S, they have the classics.:cool:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

FWIW...

Sam the Cooking Guy's site and previous show archive
    STCG ONLINE ARCHIVE

Funny, quirky, with easy recipes that are good.

8. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Anything is better than "Man Hands" Contessa.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Do you mean Ina Garten? Can't think of anyone else who uses Contessa in the shows name.

10. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Some pretty good shows on there. Nick Stelleno I think is his name. Just adds credibility to watch a professional chef and have them walk you through the meal. the person that has done it for a living has knowledge about cooking the home cook doesn't have. Sure somebody is coaching these actors but it's not their skills they are blabbing about. Guy Fieri may be one of the biggest douche bags ever to walk the earth, but dude knows what he is talking about when it comes to cooking

11. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Ina is always making meals for Jeffery and his male friends. I don't mind her. She just makes a lot of things that I wouldn't care to. Same way with the Farmhouse Rules lady Nancy. A professional chef but she has only made a few things I would care to make.

12. arley

arley Forum Resident

If you have a Roku, there are all sorts of free oddball cooking shows, mostly by amateurs. I've enjoyed watching what appears to be real people making real food.

danner and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I first saw her show when I lived in the UK. There would be marathons on one of the channels of certain cooking shows and I was mostly used to the British ones. I think her show was the first American one I saw. I used to think yeah no wonder people like your cake!...take a pound of butter, add 2qts of heavy cream...it all looked so good. :)

I was addicted to cooking shows for a while there in the UK. It was a good way to just relax while still picking up some tips on cooking. There were some great ones in the UK. I don't have any channels that show cooking shows anymore though. Don't miss those competition type ones though. Not really a fan of those.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I wonder if Alton Brown would allow Good Eats to continue with a new host (in the first new episode have Alton regenerate ala The Doctor into the new host).

15. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Don't forget about Steph Curry's wife. Her show is on Saturdays after Eddie Van Halen's ex.

16. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I, unfortunately, had to suffer through Rachel Ray (and The View :drool:) while waiting at my dentist's office. Could someone explain why the mopes in the audience burst into spontaneous applause after every third ingredient or so that she adds to the dish? I guess they're getting paid but unless it was a substantial sum, I, as a grown man, wouldn't be caught dead applauding wildly because some TV chef threw paprika into a dish. Do these people have any self-respect? :rant:

:wave:

arley and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The Food Network stopped being about any sort of serious cooking years ago. Finally, several years back, they pretty much stopped being about *cooking* food and focused mainly on shows about *eating* food.

One of the recent shows blew my mind, because they actually took the Guy Fieri "Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives" concept, already vapid and hilariously inane, and did something *even less substantive" with a Fieri clone hipster guy doing a show called "Ginormous Food."

Unlike Fieri, who apparently at some point was an actual cook and even on his awful shows occasionally makes vague references to actual cooking techniques or experiences, this guy literally just *eats* oversized food for 30 minutes (or more like 20 after commercials). It's literally not much more than "whoa, that's a really big pizza", followed by footage of it being cooked and then the guy chopping it up and trying to eat it, eventually giving pieces out to other diners who also basically say "yeah, that's a really big pizza."

[​IMG]

18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Ginormous is a weak imitation of "Man vs. Food" from years ago, where the engaging host (Adam something?) would visit some town, tour a couple of eating places, then take on a local challenge like the 5 pound steak or 12 dozen oysters or the ghost pepper chili. I saw today they are rebooting that one with a new host starting next month, the old guy is probably still working off the weight he gained by doing the show for a couple of years.

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

Create has basically become the channel we turn to when nothing else is on. Lots of great cooking shows. I recently watched a little bit of Food Network for the first time in years and found it nearly unwatchable. Too many stupid competition shows, and even the actual cooking shows are so amped up with obnoxious reality TV editing.

I actually miss the Saturday morning lineup CBS had a few years ago with Recipe Rehab and Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals.

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I love Julia Child. Memories of cooking classes in high school.

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Justin Wilson

Ginger Ale, Jimbo62, arley and 2 others like this.
  22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

it's entertainment

23. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

One of the local SD channels shows episodes of the Dione Lucas cooking show from the 1950s. They are excellent; she was a world class chef.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

Speaking of the Create channel, have any of you seen the Jazzy Vegetarian? It's hilariously cheesy. Each show usually features an original song by her with very literal lyrics about what she's cooking.

MikaelaArsenault and Suncola like this.
  25. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It was Adam Richman, who is from the neighborhood I live in now in Brooklyn. He had a new show ready to go after Man vs. Food, but he made some comments on Instagram that pretty much killed his TV career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.