Cool Edit is now part of Adobe

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grant, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

The press release from Adobe:
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200305/051903Syntrillium.html

And, from Syntrillium:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The next version of CEP aint gonna be cheap!!

3. Grant

We don't know that yet. Hang on...

4. RetroSmith

wanna bet me?

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I'm apprehensive.

6. RetroSmith

Now we have to pay for all that advertising adobe does in every single audio and video magazine on the face of the earth.

Mark my words, the next version of CEP will be over 300$

7. Grant

Well, actually, you're probably right. Right now it retails for about $279. That's close. Synt/Adobe, whatever, now has the recources to add things they couldn't do before. They will go into the stores, will undoubtedly support video/DVD, and will advertise bigger than ever. I believe they will push harder than Sony will for Sound Forge.

The good news for the Cool Edit guys is-and it's also my speculating-that Sony will not preserve the integrity of SF in the long haul, and exploit it for their own ends. Sony really has no experience in the consumer/professional software biz. Adobe has been there since the early 80s.

Adobe does recognize the Cool Edit user and I believe that Cool Edit 2000, or such similar upgrade, will still be around for those who want it.

They may change the name, finally.

But, we'll see...

8. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I tend to agree with Grant. They could have done a lot worse than go with Adobe. I think Adobe are one of the great innovator companies in the software world. Perhaps the price will go up, but let's hope not by too much.

Actually, in the graphics area (an area my wife works in), Adobe has been very competitive on pricing of its major programs. Their bundles (eg. the "Design Collection") are an absolute bargain for small operators. In the Macintosh area, Adobe is gradually gaining more market share with InDesign, as frustrated designers await an OS X compatible version of Quark XPress.

I too am looking forward to making pdfs of my LP collection;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.