Cool Edit Pro questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Caldwell, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi,

Over on the DCC forum, I asked about editing software. Everybody seemed to agree on Cool Edit Pro as being very good.

Before I go out and spend $400, I would like to ask a few questions about it...

Will it allow me to do the following:

Crossfade two stereo songs by putting them on four separate tracks and "mixing" them together? Can this be done from separate cds without going through the analog input of my computer (keeping it all in the digital realm?)

Let's say I can do that, and I have the two songs placed on four tracks. I want to move one song a fraction of a second forward or backward. Is this possible?

Say I am making a compilation CD. I have fifteen songs recorded at fifteen different "volumes". Can I adjust the volumes to be consistent on the final product?

Let's suppose for a second that I am a deranged satanist, and I want to hear my ELO "Face the Music" CD backward... Can I reverse the tracks and make them play in reverse?

Say I have a copy of a soundboard recording from a 1976 Jethro Tull concert that plays too fast. Can I adjust the "pitch" so that I can finally hear it in the right speed??

FINALLY... Where is the best place to purchase this software?

Thanks to all the guys who have helped me with this question!

I will try to give it a rest for now.

Take care,

Tony

2. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I'm not sure about the procedure for cross fades. I know you can do them but I never had a need. But basically to all your questions - yes! What you should do is get the demo for Cool Edit 2000 and try it out. It's very close to the functions of Pro.

http://www.syntrillium.com

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Tony,

You can do all of those functions with Cool Edit Pro (except rip a CD/staying in digital realm). The program is very easy to use and after a few months even easier. You can do non-destructive volume/pan/crossfades/splicing/etc. in the multitracker (64 tracks) and destructive (or not if you save as a new file) processing in the editor. It comes with a lot of "Cool Edit" specific pluggins (eq's/comp/reverbs/delays/pitch/plus tons more) and it allows for other product ones too (Waves/Sonic Foundry stuff/TC Native highly recommended). Crossfades from one song to another (or rearranging sections/takes) is very easy with splicing/dragging/etc. I think you can order it directly from Sytrillium.com.

Todd

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, It's best to order Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillum directly, as they're not distributing anything but their software themselves, and I haven't seen Cool Edit - Anything - in a box for years.

I tried Egghead for you, and they're not selling CEP.

What I usually do, is take both songs, load em in, and then import both into the multitracker. You can drag the second song right under the 1st one's tail, timewize, and just keep testing the way both come together until you're happy.

Then, downmix. Bam! Done.

Been using Cool Edit even before 16-bit sound cards were affordable! That was.. 1995? Wow. :eek: Been using it practically every day since.

Get the demos to play with, for those who haven't toyed with Cool Edit.

5. Tony Caldwell

downloaded...

Thanks guys,

I have downloaded the 30 day trial version...

I will check it out!

If I order the "pro" software, does it come with a real old fashioned printed manual, or am I at the mercy of the Beast??

Take care,

Tony

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm not sure. You could email them and ask. Their tech support is the best. Other than that, i'd say, download the PDF manual and load up paper in your printer and print it all out.

They have free, downloadable video tutorials from their website on many different subjects. Also, check out their user forum. It's bustling with activity.

One more thing, don't ask how to remove vocals from recordings. there is a cat there named "beetle" who will tear you a new orfice if you do! You can feed him but be careful!:D

7. Beowulff

Beowulff New Member

LMAO! Yea, beetle is really a trip. I swear though, I don't think a day goes by that someone doesn't ask that question. I sometimes wonder if people aren't doing it just to get a rise out of him.:D

8. Beowulff

Beowulff New Member

Tony,

Here's a good palce to start. It their tutorial page. Will help you get a jump start on using the software. In addition, the user forum mentioned by Grant can be accessed from this page as well.
    Good Luck.

http://support.syntrillium.com/tutorials.html

9. Tony Caldwell

Thank you for the links and advice, guys. I have the software on order, so I will be needing all the help that I can get!

Take care,

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.