Cool Vintage Record Shop Signs - Photos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Mar 29, 2017.

1. arem

arem Forum Resident

That shop wasn't in the Bay, it was K Street Records in Sacramento, which has been closed for a long time. The LP cover was taken in a different shop that is just called Records. That one is still open.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

There is always a record store lurking in the background.

3. Tribute

4. Tribute

5. Tribute

6. Tribute

This store has had other photos posted, and is indeed famous, mostly due to its location and the fact that tourists in Greenwich Village could see some extremely overpriced records on display behind the register. But I REALLY did not like this store.

[​IMG]

emitex and groundharp like this.
  7. Tribute

The last surviving mall branch of a once legendary Canadian shop

[​IMG]

Retrovertigo and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Tribute

I wish the USA had record stores where you could directly swap your old records for beer

[​IMG]

abescan, Mazzy and jason202 like this.
  9. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

10. Tribute

This store's owner is named Herman MeLPee

11. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I've spent a lot of time sailing the aisles of record stores looking for that elusive WHITE WHALE (which is whatever record I need and don't yet have). You could call me Captain A-habit.

Stone Turntable and Tribute like this.
  12. Tribute

My records have not killed me (yet), but moving them around has caused me to need two hernia operations.

13. Tribute

I had a dream early this morning that I was in the Ernest Tubb Record Shop in the early 1950's and came across a 10 inch 78 inside a special cardboard record jacket titled "Ernest Tubb Souvenir Autographed Record" and inside the 78 was indeed autographed by Ernest himself.

We have posted many photos of this shop, but nearly all photos on-line are post-modern "internet era" photos taken when Country Tourism has been promoted by Nashville. Photos in the era of true country music (early 1950's), after the store started (1947) are scarce. Actually it seems that any exterior shots before the mid 1960's are scarce

[​IMG]

Live gigs in the back of the store were broadcast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1965: Party for Opry's 40th anniversary below, second has Roy Acuff on left

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

groundharp likes this.
  14. Tribute

Some more semi-vintage shots from the interior of the Ernest Tubb Record Shop. Still hoping to see some shots circe 1947-1954 (before 12 inch LPs of country music became the standard). This one is definitely 1950's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this picture below sums up what has happened to not only the store, but to country music itself

[​IMG]

WayOutWardell and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Tribute

So the original location (where the live broadcasts were made) was not even the current location on Broadway, where all the tourists go to see history.

Here is original store at 720 Commerce Street, according to one webpage, with Ernest out front

[​IMG]

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. Tribute

Interior shot. I'll guess circa 1957, but I don't know the date of every LP on the wall

[​IMG]

john hp and Vinyl Addict like this.
  17. Tribute

Middle to later 1950's inside the shop

[​IMG]

Retrovertigo likes this.
  18. Tribute

One of the more common "early" photos of the second, current and more famous location. Probably circa 1967 (can anyone date that car?). After 8 track tapes became popular

This is the first of many over-the-sidewalk guitar signs at that location, obviously pushed over the top of the original painted lettering on the building, which was later sandblasted off

Posted before, but good to see in this context

[​IMG]

19. Tribute

You can see the sign changes in 2016-2017. Building facade next door was restored. Why put Tubb as an old man on the sign?

[​IMG]

Retrovertigo likes this.
  20. Tribute

Does everything have to become a chain with mall stores?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

groundharp likes this.
  21. Tribute

History (answered my earlier post)

[​IMG]

22. Tribute

Now here is a 1950's shot of the second, most famous location. It looks like they took the neon guitar sign from the first location and put it here

[​IMG]

groundharp likes this.
  23. Tribute

Another 1950's shot, different tour bus...which is earlier? I guess this one

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    groundharp likes this.
  24. Tribute

As country music died, maybe they thought that the sign should be bigger and bigger, and gum up the facade. What is the date of these cars and van? Circa early 1970's? I'll just guess 1971.

Notice the pawn shop next door. Those just encourage theft and burglary. Nashville at a low point. See the boarded up windows of unrented space. I once went to a tourist town that also had many pawn shops, the gutters of the sidewalks were littered with broken car window glass from cars that had been busted into.

[​IMG]