Copying from CD to CD-R----Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dob, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dob

Dob New Member Thread Starter

OK, how do you do that?

2. Dob

Dob New Member Thread Starter

I was talking about the code that gets burned onto the CD-R along with the audio data - table of contents and so forth, all that "redbook" stuff. It might not be bit for bit identical with the original. I seem to remember another poster stating that the copy will rearrange some lines of code, or maybe add gaps(?)

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I'm in way over my head talking about this...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In the early days of CD, pre-emphasis was used. It is where the treble is boosted and decoded upon playback, kind of like a digital Dolby. The idea was was the same, lower nosie by boosting the treble, then reduce it correspondingly. Dumb idea! Anyway, pre-emphasis is no longer used, but a few CD authoring software packages still offer it. Cool Edit Pro does.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

This is about all the help I can give:

http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/digests/V5.400/D469

"Burn with CDRWin using BIN files/CUE sheets, but first edit the CUE sheet by putting the command "FLAG PRE" on every track, between the TRACK command and the first INDEX command. This is quick and painless, but easier still if you use CDRCue editor."

I'm not sure if EAC supports this when burning or not. It's worth a shot, though.

Jam on the Mac lets you do this easily - there's a box for each track you can check for PE.

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

After reading this tread, I tried to dub my copy of Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town and got the same result with EAC. I noticed that EAC does not flag the disc as pre-emphasis, so I tried a few other early CDs that I have. I tried the first Abbey Road, Steve's "Aja" and Buddy Holly FTOMT. All of the discs were pressed in Japan before say 1985. On all of these CDs, EAC stated "No" for pre-emphasis. But when I compared the dubs to the originals, ALL were brighter and louder (FTOMT was the least). It does not matter how I rip them, single tracks or the whole disc at once. EAC does not seem to recognized pre-emphasis on my system. Has anyone else using EAC experienced this? I also get the same response on my computer at work :(

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Actually more like digital RIAA - or even more like a digital version of FM pre-emphasis. It's just fixed EQ, whereas Dolby is dynamic.

Sorry, Grant, I'm just... what's the polite term, er, Obsessive.

7. John

John Senior Member

Make sure you use a high quality blank. The best I know of, is the Mitsui Gold. Very nice sounding. You can get them from www.mediasupply.com. Best of luck to you.

8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Sorry, but I have to ask if you have EAC set to Normalize the tracks when you extract? :confused: I'm hoping we're past that now. :)

9. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Not I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.