Coronet Blue headed to DVD!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally! I can get rid of the ones I have which are a mix of film transfers, some black and white, 2 from TV Land and some from off-air records from Australia. Being released by a company called Kino Lorber, whom I've never heard of as they've never released much TV before, if any. Apparently they are big in movie releases but I don't collect that. The show itself is a great example of network incompetence. Filmed in early 1965 for a fall premiere, CBS yanked the show and didn't put it on until 2 1/2 years later in June 1967 as a summer burnoff. The ratings were very good but by that point the star had been signed for another series so they couldn't continue the show.

misterjones, Vidiot and jamesmaya like this.
  2. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

This show was a favorite back when it aired. I'm happy it's finally coming to DVD.

3. All I remember are the words Coronet Blue :tiphat:

jamesmaya likes this.
  4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

My memory of this show is kind of fuzzy, but I do remember Movin' On with Claude Akins and Frank Converse

5. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

James, I don't see this release listed on Amazon yet. Do you have a link or any release date information?

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Vidiot and jamesmaya like this.
  7. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks! I really never thought this would ever get released. Order placed.

jamesmaya likes this.
  8. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Now, if someone would release the completed episodes of Normal Life with Moon and Dweezil Zappa, my wish list will be almost complete.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Same here!

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

This certainly was off my radar. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

It had a cool theme song but yeah, "Coronet Blue" are the only two words I remember.

13. Myke

Same here, and I was 8 years old (9 in November), and experienced my first in a very long line of deaths ( my father ). Weird what sticks with you.

jamesmaya likes this.
  14. I was being a bit snarky. As I recall, the premise of the show was that the main character only remembered those two words; coronet blue. And the show ran on his search for the meaning of those words.

jamesmaya and rogertheshrubber like this.
  15. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Don't rush out and order from this link. This isn't the Kino Lorber set. There is no release date or pricing information yet.

jamesmaya likes this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup:Impressive! Someone from the 60s actually remembers something. :D

Mazzy and Myke like this.
  17. Myke

As I was 11, when the decade came to a close, I only remember mainlining junk food, and discovering Bogart, W.C. Fields, and Universal horror.

18. I was 12 almost 13 in San Francisco during the sumner of love. Too young to get high yet.

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

News item from TV Shows on DVD with link to Kino Lorber's announcement on Facebook:

Coronet Blue DVD news: DVD Plans for The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

The link that was posted earlier was to a seller on iOffer, who is almost certainly selling a DVD-R set sourced from multigeneration VHS copies that originated from a TV broadcast. When that's all that's available, OK, but when Kino Lorber's just announced an official release, there's no reason to jump on inferior copies.

20. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Yeah, I thought they might be DVD-Rs when there was no mention of Kino Lorber. I'll wait for this new release.

21. James Slattery

There was no final episode produced unfortunately but the interview with Larry Cohen, creator of the show, will reveal what the mystery was regarding his identity.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Cohen revealed some years ago that the twist is that viewers always believed the lead character was a good guy being pursued by evil agents... but in fact the reveal was that the lead was a Russian spy who was trained to act like an American, and he was actually up to no good. That's a huge twist for the good-looking star to turn out to be a very bad guy. I think the ultimate plan would have been for him to be a double-agent who informed on the Russians for the Americans, but the show never got that far. It really was a good show, kind of a serious Ipcress File serious spy series as opposed to the various spoofs going on in this era (Our Man Flint, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Get Smart, etc.). Good theme song, very flashy & stylish editing... it deserved a better fate.

23. James Slattery

2 of my favorite short run series, both of which I've had Frankenstein sets of for many years, will be getting a well deserved release soon. Now if we could only get someone to do the same with T.H.E. Cat and He and She!

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.