Covers Versions that are outrageously creative/inventive.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Use the "film" icon on the toolbar and just paste the youtube URL (not the iframe code) into that popup.

2. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I got it working now. But thanks! :righton:

uzn007 likes this.
  3. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

This version of ELO always comes to mind when I think about a cover outrageously creative.

Joy-of-radio and Jazzmonkie like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Don't mention it. :) I like the song and forgot the sound effect was even there.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Talking Heads 'Take Me to the River'; '78 cover of Al Green's '74 original

6. van1

van1 Forum Resident

deodato's cover of 'also sprach zarathustra' (2001 theme)

Razer and willy like this.
  7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

interesting what film is this?

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

An animated film called Kubo and the Two Strings...an interesting work that certainly looks nothing like a typical Disney/Pixar product....

Chris DeVoe and a customer like this.
  9. Eleki band, Munutaka Inoue and His Sharp 5 with their surf interpretation of the classic koto and flute composition "Haru no Umi".

Here's a more traditional performance for comparison:

HaruNo Umi

willy and Rooster_Ties like this.
  10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

A few of my favorite r&b female covers, slowing down the pace to heighten the drama compared to the original versions. I'll start with Margie Joseph's "Stop! In The Name Of Love." It's very difficult to remake a Motown classic and improve on it, but depending on the day I prefer this over the Supremes' version. I am sharing an edited version here. The original album version with the preceding rap is about three minutes longer.

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

A very humorous cover of what was originally "Go Away Little Girl," penned by Goffin-King and a top 20 hit three times in the '60s and '70s, reaching the top spot by both Donny Osmond and Steve Lawrence. In the hands of Marlena Shaw, who precedes the song with a rap called "Yu-Ma" and flips the gender to "Go Away Little Boy," the song transforms into something else entirely.

rockinlazys likes this.
  12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Maybe not as inventive compared to the original in terms of arrangement, but Nancy Wilson's vocals on "I've Never Been To Me" certainly make it something quite different than Charlene's original version.

14. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

15. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Many people, including myself, are having trouble reconsiling the evolution of music over the past several decades, but I doubt few of us could imagine how older folks felt about the development of music in the late 50s and 60s. The love ballad "Blue Moon" was written in 1934 by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, and has been recorded by many performers throughout the years. It was in 1960 that it was adapted to the rock 'n' roll style by the doo-wop group called "The Marcels" that really set the pop world on its ear! It was radical for the time, and such that Rodgers personally took out ads in major news and entertainment publications urging people not to buy the record. He obviously hated the new rendition. You can't stop progress though and it topped the pop chart!

john hp likes this.
  16. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Regarding Rodgers, it was not a case of getting older: he had already expressed his "concern" in 1939 - aged 37 - in "I Like To Recognize The Tune" (lyrics by Hart).
    I wonder if he ever commented on Elvis' version by the way (no mention in his autobiography IIRC).

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  17. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

The Beatles' Here Comes The Sun by Nina Simone
    The Bellamy Brothers' Let Your Love Flow by Petra Haden
    Bob Dylan's If You Gotta Go, Go Now by Lyme & Cybelle (Warren Zevon & Violet Santangelo)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

BDC likes this.
  19. I was pleasantly surprised by this:

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sometimes the original artist does that to the song, especially if they are just plain sick of the original:

... they'll play it on a ukulele as a mash-up with Wimoweh.

Razer likes this.
  21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Pretty awesome and along with George one of the first to get a Moog....

rockinlazys and BDC like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

The Gregory Brothers did a number of covers where they changed songs from major keys to minor (and vis versa):

23. Chris DeVoe

It was mentioned on the first page, but it really needs to be linked to to convey it's full awesomeness. It's like Kate took a bet that she couldn't cover this song in a reggae beat, and she decided to not only do it but to use every most hated instrument - ukulele, Steinberger bass, Simmons drums, accordion, bagpipes - all on the same track.

Moshe and willy like this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

TNK from 801 live

the segue is killer

Bill MacCormick takes over with the most funky bass improv
    Simon Phillips goes lock set with him
    Phil Manzanera in the buildup brings in guitar counterpoint

then a incredible nonchalant Eno vocal

Phil rips into a worthy solo

a whole different feel

Thread Status: