Cowsills MONO 1st LP - CD Reissue coming soon on Now Sounds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by now_sounds, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I used to have

THE COWSILLS IN CONCERT/THE COWSILLS COLLECTOR'S RECORD (Razor & Tie)

Been kicking myself for letting it go.

Darryl

2. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident

I ordered this new one from the website, can't wait...

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Yes.."Poor Baby" is in Mono only..I don't think the Multi-track Mastertapes exist anymore..shame,I'd love to have seen a Stereo version of that track myself!:shake:

4. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken I think that was proven to be wrong. I personally compared the CD to a friend's stereo LP copy and I didn't hear any phase difference at all. I remember reading on a website somewhere that the strange sound was just due to the mixing style on that particular album. Please correct me if I'm wrong but it actually doesn't sound all that bad to me. I think the noise reduction on the Now Sounds Captain Sad reissue is certainly more of a issue than the supposed phase problem on We Can Fly.

5. Is the Collectors Choice We Can Fly differently mastered from the Cowchip?

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The best way to hear the "We Can Fly" album, is on this rare promo only, MONO LP...

Chris C

7. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's great to see so much discussion about the Cowsills here. The original mono masters sounded fantastic, as did the masters for the singles (with the exception of "What's It Gonna Be Like," which the tape source had some minor issues). That's to be expected from masters of this vintage.

Also, we've included a 24-page booklet with loads of rare photos and a great track-by-track with Bob Cowsill.

No noise reduction was used on this release. We are always extremely judicious and sparing in its application and avoid it whenever possible.

Thank you all for supporting/purchasing Now Sounds releases. It's the support from true fans—like here on this great forum—that will keep physical product and intelligently produced reissues alive in the coming decade.

javilu77 likes this.
  8. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

Actually, the We Can Fly mono LP was issued commercially... I have a stock MGM black label of it as well as the promo yellow label. But you're right... the mono version is great! Steve, how about a mono Now Sounds version to complement the CChoice CD?

9. now_sounds

Hi Mark! You're reading my mind. I'm hoping to do exactly that (with the Milk EP and relevant singles as a bonus).

BryanW likes this.
  10. MCE1965

MCE1965 Senior Member

Wonderful, Steve! Thanks for the good news...

11. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

May I join in the applause for Steve and Now Sounds, his little corner of the Cherry Red world? I've made sure to pick up each new release on Now Sounds...despite the diversity of artists, the sound of each release is of a piece. I haven't been disappointed yet and have discovered some great lost treasures (The Parade, Tina Mason, Tuneful Trolley) and revisited some old friends (the Cowsills, the terrific new Roger Nichols CD, the Janis Ian reissue). Keep it up! It's nice to be able to trust that you'll like a release based on its label alone. :righton:

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

First, thanks to Mark for setting me straight about a stock commercial MONO copy of "We Can Fly". I always thought that the promo mono was the only released version, I stand corrected!

Second, thanks Steve at Now Sounds for considering a MONO CD release of "We Can Fly", which would be great! Steve, you've got to find a way to get the MONO 45 version of "Hair" on CD, as well, if you're going to do anything to further the COWSILLS, being properly captured in sound, on CD.

Great to have a label such as "NOW SOUNDS" on the scene, releasing a lot of great material. A small suggestion while you're digging around in the MGM library, but, if there is a chance to do some sort of David Rose "singles" set, that might be fun? With great songs past the classic, "The Stripper", David had a long run on MGM with other overlooked gems, such as "Quick Before It Melts (The Happy Penguin)", "The Grasshopper" and "Bird Brain", all of which could use a CD mastering. Another MGM artist that has been almost completely overlooked on CD, is Robert Maxwell. Robert has a couple of classic albums on MGM, that would be fun to hear on compact disc.

Chris C

13. mr_mjb1960

Outside of the original 45 EP I've never had a CD copy of "The Milk EP"..it's pretty much a "Wanna-Have" in my collection! I'm also hoping for a TRUE Mono 45 Version of "Hair" because of its different,"Non-Crowd" ending! THANX SO MUCH,NOW SOUNDS,For keeping the Cowsills flame alive! :righton:

14. now_sounds

Thanks, JMarch, for your kind words about Now Sounds. I'm so glad you've enjoyed our CDs thus far. I'm really excited about next year's releases. Feel free to send suggestions to me about future reissues if you are so inclined!

15. now_sounds

Will try and include the mono version of "Hair" on a future Cowsills release. Great idea! Will investigate the David Rose and Robert Maxwell! < edit by tf >

16. now_sounds

Just received some promos of the new CD and it looks and sounds amazing.
    Amazon U.S. now has the CD—a U.K. import—for $13.98:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cowsills/dp/B002NUYKCO

Looking forward to Hoffman members' commentary!

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Amazon isn't listing the first track as The Rain, the Park etc.. It shows Pennies as the first track and Rain only as the 45 mono mix bonus track?

18. now_sounds

Amazon track listing error

Hi mcow1,

Ah yes, Amazon has an error with the track list. Yes, of course, the LP version of "The Rain, The Park" starts out the CD. (How could it not?) And it's a 20 track CD. Sorry for the confusion.

They screw up ALL THE TIME with track listings. Anyone else notice that about Amazon?

Best,
    Steve

19. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Sadly, the price is now $24.98

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Gotta get this ordered this week.

Darryl

21. now_sounds

22. mr_mjb1960

Now Sounds,did you work your label "Magic" on the CD label of The Debut Cowsills album the same,WONDERFUL way you'd did with the "Captain Sad" CD? And can you give us the Pix of the label? I'm getting both! THANK YOU for these beautiful Cowsills Reissues! You're #1 with me!:righton:

23. rym9

rym9 Member

How is the SQ of this release? Can I get a few people to comment on what the sound is like.

I'd be picking it up primarily for The Rain, The Park And Other Things (in particular the mono version) but wanted to make sure it has great SQ before I buy it?

If the SQ is top notch then I'll buy it immediately because "The Rain ..." is one of my all time fav. songs

24. now_sounds

Hi MJB,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I used the classic MGM design for The Cowsills CD label as well. But I can't seem to find a way to upload a jpeg of the label when replaying to a thread here. Imagine the Captain Sad label with the first album's tracks on it.

25. mr_mjb1960

Thanx so much for answering my question..now,I've gotta get my Hot little hands on 'em! LEMME AT 'EM!:goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.