"Cream" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Been listening to a lot of old "Cream" lately which has made me realize again what an increcdible group this was.

Cream featured Eric Clapton's best work IMO, Jack Bruce is one of the best rock singers of all time, and Ginger Baker is an amazing drummer, with power-rock and jazz chops. He really had a way of 'swinging'.

Not to mention some very well written songs by the group and other writers.

Comments on Cream? Favorite records, songs and pressings. Cream stories? Anyone here see them live back in the day?

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I was in my high school band around 67-69. The band director played flute and sax at night with various jazz bands.

One day a friend and I mentioned Cream to him ( I have no idea how Cream came up ) . He mentioned that he had played a party with them.
    Huh ? What ??

Anyway, he mentioned that he had played a society party on Chicago's North Shore. His band played for the society folks and Cream played for the kids , at their request.

I remember we asked him what he thought of Eric Clapton's playing. He said that he couldn't tell because they were so loud. He wasn't being an old fart or being sarcastic, he just couldn't tell well enough to comment.

I remained skeptical about his story for years. I assumed that he had the bands name mixed up or something .

A few years ago when Cream books started appearing with tour details, sure enough there it was in black and white. I have the date and details at home. I may post the details later for fun.

Daddy can you get Cream to play for us ? Pretty please. Will you daddy ?:laugh:

P.S. I "saw" Cream in 68 I think it was , but I had the worst seats I ever had at a concert. I can't offer much valid commentary about the concert because the sound was a blur and they were a million miles away.

3. The loud part doesn't surprise me. Bruce and Clapton used to turn up their amps quite loud--similar to the competition that marked Wetton and Fripp in King Crimson. Don't they know louder ISN'T better?:laugh:

4. My brother saw them a number of times live at the Fillmore. He also saw Clapton fronting Derek and the Dominos. As impressed as he was with Clapton then, he stated that Clapton was on fire with Cream what with the inspiration from Hendrix and competition within the band.

My favorite version of the Wheels on Fire album is Steve's remaster with the "secret" bonus tracks. He does a terrific job of bringing better focus to Bruce's sublime singing.

5. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Been a fan since I was a kid (many moons ago) My favorite is probably Disraeli Gears- too bad DCC never issued a remaster of that one. The Mofi CD sounds quite good, and the recent Japanese reissue sounds better than my 1970's RSO pressing, which is very bass shy. Every early issue UK vinyl copy I've come across has been beat to death. :shake:

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yep. The loudness part doesn't surprise me at all. The fact that Cream played a private party for society kids surprises me though . Money talks and Cream was just on the way "up" I suppose. I'll post the date when I get home, for those who need to know these things. :)

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

'Disraeli Gears'-original Atco pressing.

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:tsk:

9. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Agreed-
    a true 'power trio' really sets a standard, IMO.

10. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I'm truly glad they'd reconciled recently and gave us that much-needed Reunion Tour! I thought,truly,it would never happen..I'm so GREATFUL I was proven wrong,'tho! THANX AGAIN,ERIC,JACK & GINGER!!:love: Michael Boyce

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I tend to think Cream is a bit overated...I believe the Jimi Hendrix Experience was far superior at the time. IMHO, JD

12. I love both Hendrix and Cream, both had serious chops, and serious songcraft, an embarassment of riches for all fans.

13. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Cream was my first rock concert, at the LA Forum in 68. Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

14. Tone

Well no one can compete with Hendrix. He was on a whole different level.

But Guitar aside, overall I think Cream was probably a Better Power Trio than the Experience.

15. Tone

Nice! What a first show.

16. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I am a big Cream fan. I love their early albums. Their studio work is terriffic and their live jams are amazing. Disraeli Gears is still one of my all time favorites.

I bought nearly every one of their albums as they came out and when they came to town (Detroit) in 1968 I went to see them. It was a great show. The band Friend and Lover opened for them and were very good. Then Cream came on. Wow! What can I tell you. Clapton was at the height of his prowess, so to speak. Amazing guitar solos weaving over the top of Bruce's lead-like bass guitar, and Baker's drumming sounding like there were two drummers on stage. A real wall of sound from three musicians. And for part of the show, Bruce did a long harmonica solo (Traintime), and of course Baker did a long drum solo (Toad), but the highlight was really EC. His guitar work was really incredible.

I highly recommend getting the live Cream albums in addition to the studio recordings. Although Wheels of Fire features live recordings, be sure to check out their other live releases as well. They will give you a good idea of why they were one of the greatest live bands of all time.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com

17. glea

glea Forum Resident

I saw them at Winterland, the week they recorded Wheels. Only a bit of Toad on the box set was recorded the night I saw them. They were good. I love the sound of the studio tracks on Wheels. Takes me back to my younger days. It was a big surprise at the time, and it still sounds fresh. All four albums are great in my book.

I won't join the Cream v Hendrix argument, as I like them both on their own merits. If you check dates, I saw them a few weeks apart at the beginning of 1968. (and not much later that year Jeff Beck, The Who, Procol, and a whole bunch more)

Hard to beat the combination of the two voices, two of the best in rock. The song writing was never ordinary, something that brought down a lot of lesser bands.

Maybe someday we'll get Fresh in mono. I have a pretty clean Atco original, my original copy. The stereo version deconstructs the sound in a way not intended. Right now I've got my DCC Wheels turned up loud.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Play DESERTED CITIES OF THE HEART on the DCC Gold CD as loud as you can. Report back!

Still proud of that one..

19. glea

glea Forum Resident

The Detroit show from 1967 is unlike any other live recording of them I've ever heard. I think they got the right medications that night.

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

They really need to consider releasing that show. Most fans think it is the definitive Cream document.

21. glea

glea Forum Resident

hahahahh yes, that is it.

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If any of you want to get a REAL NICE copy of Fresh Cream LP without spending a mint for the DCC, look for the Import Polydor called "Cream", 2384 067 Standard. It includes Wrapping Paper and Coffee Song. It was originally sold in the UK for about $4.99 (1.49 Euro).

Sonics on this one are really good. I own the DCC but I take it out rarely. Call me sentimental.

23. glea

glea Forum Resident

Yes, got this one... should give it a listen. I foolishly sold a comp I had called Blue Cream... it collected all the blues numbers on one lp... Might have been a german pressing. The copy I had was sort of trashed, and that was enough for me to sell it.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The common 1970's British FRESH CREAM LP, sold all over the USA as a JEM import was made with the true master tapes and sounds great. (Missing "I FEEL FREE" though).

Skip the British LP's of WHEELS OF FIRE and GEARS (pretty cover though). Since those were recorded in the USA at Atlantic, the domestic versions actually sound better (if you get the right cutting and that can be a real struggle).

25. Tone

Thanks for the tips Steve. I'm working on a Cream vinyl set.

Anyone know of any special Deadwax info to look for in the ATCO releases?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.