Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

IIRC, @lukpac mentioned that the likelihood of additional jams being released is slim because of issues pertaining to publishing (i.e. which parties should receive composer's credit). That said, I suppose it is possible that another Layla set could be produced because technically there are additional unissued studio recordings/jams plus additional recordings from the Fillmore East reels, but I would not be surprised to see the 50th anniversary come and go without a new release.

2. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Indeed a gem. But I’ve listened to this one for years and I just cannot believe its Clapton. Everything about those guitar parts are wrong. Phrasing, tone, repeats. No. Sorry.

3. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Indeed a gem. But I’ve listened to this one for years and I just cannot believe its Clapton. Those guitar parts dont sound like him at all. Phrasing, tone, repeats. Sorry, not to these ears. I’d loved it because its a fantastic listening experience, but no.

4. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

This isn't Derek and the Dominos. Renee Armand with Jim Gordon made a very rough recording in ECs home studio. EC is on guitar. The rough mix was discovered years later in the trash at I believe Olympic Studios and unknown musicians overlayed and cleaned up. It's not Derek and the Dominos. And BTW, Renee told me personally that EC was there, and it was a very rough take. And she was surprised to hear this "polished" version.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I've spoken to a source very close to the situation, and so far nothing is planned for the 50th Anniversary.... the 4oth Anniversary "almost" covered everything but according to the source, "Most everything has been issued but there is always something else to include!"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Yes, I know she said that, and I believe she’s the source for Roberty’s claim as well. Without speculating, it could be wrong anyway. I simply dont believe its EC because of what I hear, and I also think it would’ve been released earlier if it was certain that EC was playing on it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm also extremely skeptical that it was done in a home studio, and not Olympic.

tdavis0903, its ec and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

This info isn't from Roberty....

9. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Although information about this is in Marc's book as well

10. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

This is from Marc: "This was part of the infamous Olympic dumpster tapes. Many tapes were stored there and when labels did not retrieve them they were thrown out when Richard Branson bought the property in 1988 for Virgin. That is were all the boot stuff from Delaney and Bonnie at Olympic comes from along with Dominos material. Not all of it was master tapes, some were just safety copies, but this jam was the master."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Was the recording cleaned up to the extent that Eric’s guitar was completely removed? I think I remember some speculation on this some time ago. It could be that EC contributed to the first recording but another guitar was added later?

12. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Once again, "Renee Armand with Jim Gordon made a rough recording in ECs home studio. EC is on guitar. The rough mix was discovered years later in the trash at I believe Olympic Studios and unknown musicians overlayed and cleaned up. It's not Derek and the Dominos. "

Marc added "Don't forget that both Eric and Jim were, to put it very bluntly, smaked out of their heads. This is what Renee told me, and as we know she was there when the session happened. I have often wondered if that explains the playing."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Thanks for great information. I was just trying to make some sense if it all, considering I find it hard to believe that what we hear on that YouTube clip is Eric Clapton. Btw, I love the playing!

Matthew Tate and Mullin like this.
  14. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

No problem... I also found the post where Renee Armand herself says that the rough mix was done at "Eric's studio at his house."...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

Perhaps its not completely off to suggest that;
    - it not EC on the YouTube clip
    - RA is telling the truth, EC played on the original recording
    - it was cleaned up and altered
    - its someone else on the clip

I wagely recall someone on this forum compared the song to a track by Bobby Keys(?) That it was really similar, and seemed to suggest that the song ended up in someone elses hands at some point. Cant remember details.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

This answers your question...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. its ec

its ec Forum Resident

And I translated that into ‘its not eric playing the lead guitar here’ :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think it's fair to say if it's Clapton, he went to a different place with his playing on this and never really went back there again. The solo around 4 minutes definitely sounds like Eric to me and how he was playing the wah during the 2nd album sessions. The last one...when it starts, I could see how it doesn't sound like him, but then towards the end, it sounds like him again.

All this confusion where even Rene doesn't know what it is means we'll probably never see an official release. But thank God we have it, it's a great piece of work, however many people were involved.

Mullin likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The 2nd album outtakes of Domino's are out there in bootleg form, (the tracks not already released,) albeit the ones I heard 15 years back were mainly instrumental which is a shame as the music sounds very interesting. Please, no need for the Jim Gordon tracks to be released, he attempted the same songs again the very next year during the sessions for Low Spark of High Heeled Boys when he joined Traffic, they didn't see the light of day then either.

I did raise a question on another Clapton thread about those 2nd album sessions, how Clapton and Pete Townshead revisited them in 1974 with a view to release before they abandoned that project and Clapton pressed on with the 461 Ocean Boulevard sessions. I wonder if there is a record of what Eric and Pete did to the tapes, if anything??

Layla 50th does seem unlikely and as someone who has the 2oth and 40th and SACD I probably don't need to spend out for another new set with likely a handful of extras.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a 50th, if I know I would. :sigh: Would prefer a 50th of All Things Must Pass......but that's for another thread!

20. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

From Marc Roberty: "The Dominos second album reels had overdubs done in the early seventies including a few with Pete Townsend. I spoke with the engineer who was present at the sessions but other than Pete does not recall who else was involved. Even Tom Dowd got involved with the second album tapes in early 1974 and even compiled a potential set for release but was abandoned in favour of 461 Ocean Boulevard."

Almost Simon and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No idea on specifics, other than:

1) Somebody added a clavinet to Got To Get Better In A Little While at some point.

2) On 11 April 1974, Tom Dowd and Karl Richardson either mixed or compiled mixes of the Dominos' second album tracks at Criteria, including the aforementioned Got To Get Better with clavinet (titles as written):

Chocolate
    It's Hard To Find
    Till I See You Again
    Karl And Me
    Evil
    Snake Lake Blues
    I've Been All Day
    Mean Ol' Frisco
    One More Chance
    High
    It's Got To Get Better
    Jim's Song #3

22. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Save some $$ for Cream's WOF Deluxe Box Set

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also:

8-track to 8-track copies were made of some of the second album tracks at Apple Studios, apparently on the same day as the work at Criteria. Whether they were copied in London in the morning and immediately flown to Miami for work in the evening, the London and Miami work was not directly related, or one or both sets of tapes is dated incorrectly is unclear.

Dondy and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You have to wonder if there were also business considerations and concerns behind the decision not to continue developing and finishing the Dominos material circa 1974. There could have been issues with the distribution of royalties because unless Radle, Gordon and Whitlock were salaried employees during the recording of the 2nd LP and not entitled to a percentage of revenues from the music in question, they would have been entitled to their share and even may have had veto power over the release of the recordings. The reality is that a number of the 2nd LP recordings were quite good and could have made for a compelling album, so the fact that Dowd and Clapton (and likely Stigwood) chose to start from scratch suggests there was more to it than simply approaching an alternative creative direction.

Dondy, Matthew Tate and Percy Song like this.
  25. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident