CREAM, RASCALS songs: Removed CSG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jonmayo15, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Magnus A. likes this.
  2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

What did you use to remove the CSG? I believe you have to rotate one track 90 degrees. There are a couple of singles I would like to do.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dudes,

Explain to the 99.9% of the population of the world and this forum what CSG is (was) first. Give 'em a break!

The Haeco-CSG or Holzer Audio Engineering-Compatible Stereo Generator was a curse.

Howard should have stuck to engineering great jazz records.

4. xman

xman Active Member

Well that is better than MSG. ;)

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haeco-csg

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

HAECO (Holzer Audio Engineering Company) CSG (Compatible Stereo Groove) was designed to make the low frequencies mono and on one channel introduced a phase shift of 90 degrees. It did a superb job of mono compatibility but still required a Stereo cartridge and tonearm suited for one. And phasey as heck!

7. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Basically anything you need to know about CSG is right here, it's where I learned about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haeco-csg

The short of it was that it was a process in which the right channel was put out of phase 90 degrees so that when folded down to mono there would be no center 3dB increase. It worked for radio airplay but doesn't sound that good at all really.

To remove the CSG I opened the files in Cool Edit Pro and used the Graphic Phase Sifter in the Filters section to roll the right channel forward 90 degrees. It's pretty easy and makes the recording sound way better in my opinion.

8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Doesn't sound much different to me, what am I listening for?

9. Steve Hoffman

Yikes, no one is going to explain this to normal people like us so here goes...

The process made whatever was in the center of the stereo image somewhat out of phase so there is no rock center image at all. Gives you a headache under headphones and on some playback systems. The purpose of sacrificing the pure stereo mix was to let people who had MONO and radio stations be able to play the stereo version in L+R mono and there would be no changing or rebalancing of the stereo mix levels of the vocals and instrumentals. Therefore no dedicated MONO MIX would be needed, saving money and since mono LPs were going out of print, a guarantee of no unhappy customers by having a fully compatible stereo/mono album (except perhaps for the stylus but that's another story).

Many songs (like WHITE ROOM) were mixed with this system and there are no clean stereo mixes of it with a true center channel, everything is always 1/2 out of phase which drives me batty. As Luke once said, once you are aware of it, you can never become un-aware of it (or something like that).

When you remove the CSG you can hear a clean stereo, unphased image in the middle for the first time.

Magnus A. likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

11. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

OK, so why are the drums on the right moved closer to the centre in the YouTube clip with the CSG removed then?

EDIT: Actually that's probably just me misremembering the original mix, never mind.

12. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I was always mediocre at trigonometry in high school....that was the math with sine and cosine waves, right?

I've wanted to ask this every time a phasing discussion comes up: Software specifics aside, I don't quite understand how you can "rotate" a sound wave 90 degrees, result-wise. 180 degrees is conceptually easy: What was positive goes negative and vice versa. But what is actually happening to a sound wave when it is rotated 90 degrees? Is it more like "whatever is at zero becomes a peak"? And can the naked ear easily hear the difference on an individual (mono) channel? I'd love to see a super closeup of a before and after. Preferably not of a simple sine wave.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You Tube encoding? Perception? Undoing CSG doesn't involve any combining of channels.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can't speak a ton about the math behind it, mostly because I've never bothered to think about it too much, but the waveforms do change quite a bit. Compare my MP3 clips of the Wheels of Fire songs to the DCC CD if you're interested in a comparison.

15. Sounds great!

"Break Away" by The Beach Boys (the original mix, as on "Spirit of America") sounds like it was CSG'd, was it?

16. Steve Hoffman

Yes, of course, and many others. Yurcch.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are we sure that's CSG, or some other odd stereo processing? I'm not familiar with Break Away, but Disney Girls has some odd processing that is apparently not CSG. Break Away was a few years earlier though...

18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Didn't know Capitol used it. I thought the only offenders were A&M, Warner Brothers, and Atlantic/Atco?

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Damn, they both sound good !!!!

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thank you. I had no idea what CSG was.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Something to that effect. Kind of like the edit on Strawberry Fields.

In theory one could run a CSG'd signal through a box again with the channels reversed, but good luck finding one. Plus who knows how much the internals degraded the sound.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They've also provided individual channel phase control in the new release of Izotope RX 2.0.

I agree that CSG was a blight and a curse. The worst was when you listened to Haeco-CSG-processed stuff with headphones -- it made me feel like my brains were being sucked out from ears with a soda straw!
    [​IMG]

23. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Wish I could, but I don't have the CD. Could you post flacs of the first few seconds of each version when you have a chance? Only if it's not a hardship.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If not tonight, I'll try to tomorrow.

FWIW, while I used the DCC as my source, the CSGness of the mixes should be apparent on any release, as I'm not aware of any that have undone it.

25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I didn't know CSG was so widespread. The only reason I'd ever heard of it was reading about why there are two different versions of the first Neil Young solo LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.