Criterion Collection October 2018 releases

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

The Naked Prey--Oct 2nd

• Restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Audio commentary from 2007 by film scholar Stephen Prince
    • “John Colter’s Escape,” a 1913 written record of the trapper’s flight from Blackfoot Indians—which was the inspiration for The Naked Prey—read by actor Paul Giamatti
    • Original soundtrack cues created by director Cornel Wilde and ethnomusicologist Andrew Tracey, along with a written statement by Tracey on the score
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Michael Atkinson and a 1970 interview with Wilde
    Eight Hours Don't Make A Day--Oct 9th

• New 2K digital restoration by the Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • “Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day”: A Series Becomes a Family Reunion, a 2017 documentary directed by Juliane Maria Lorenz, featuring interviews with actors Hanna Schygulla, Irm Hermann, Wolfgang Schenck, and Hans Hirschmüller
    • New interview with film scholar Jane Shattuc
    • New English subtitle translation
    • PLUS: An essay by scholar Moira Weigel
    Shampoo--Oct 16th

• 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
    • New conversation between critics Mark Harris and Frank Rich
    • Excerpt from a 1998 appearance by producer, cowriter, and actor Warren Beatty on The South Bank Show
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by Rich
    Sisters--Oct 23rd

• New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Brian De Palma, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • New interview with actor Jennifer Salt
    • Interviews from 2004 with De Palma, actors William Finley and Charles Durning, and producer Edward R. Pressman
    • Audio from a 1973 discussion with De Palma at the AFI
    • Appearance from 1970 by actor Margot Kidder on The Dick Cavett Show
    • More!
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Carrie Rickey, excerpts from a 1973 interview with De Palma on the making of the film, and a 1973 article by De Palma on working with composer Bernard Hermann
    The Princess Bride--Oct 30th

• New 4K digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Audio commentary from 1996 featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
    • Edited 1987 audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
    • New program about Goldman’s screenplay
    • New program about Goldman’s tapestry based on the film
    • Archival interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
    • New interview with art director Richard Holland
    • Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
    • On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
    • Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries from 1996 by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by author Sloane Crosley and, for the Blu-ray edition, Goldman’s introduction to his Princess Bride script from the 1995 collection Four Screenplays,in a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book

Leviethan and Shawn like this.
  2. The Hud

I am in for Princess Bride myself. Glad I haven't upgraded to the regular BD. :)

BNell and Leviethan like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Did they run out of obscure Japanese films?

4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Lol, I just broke down and bought Shampoo on DVD two weeks ago, it arrived last week, and I just said to my wife we should watch it.
    Timing.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I bought the Arrow Blu ray of Sisters one month ago, because a forum member here started a thread about it, and me being a De Palma fan... :doh:

Shampoo will be an interesting blind buy.

musicalbeds likes this.
  6. Humanoid_Z

Humanoid_Z Well-Known Member

time for Criterion to explore some obscure Chinese movie from 80s:p

longdist01 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Shockingly paltry extras for Shampoo but I'll have to have it along with Sisters and anything from Fassbinder.

musicalbeds likes this.
  8. The Hud

I bought the regular version of Grand Budapest Hotel so Criterion would announce it.

Didn't work yet. :(

9. I've been waiting for them to do a Blu-ray of The Naked Prey for ages! Very glad they're getting around to it.

The Hud likes this.
  10. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I hope not because I want more.

longdist01, Ghostworld and LaserKen like this.
  11. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Where the hell is "Local Hero"?

The Panda and PhilBorder like this.
  12. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sisters simply awesome news! I love vintage extras. Should be a great companion to the Arrow version.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Lots of great titles! Hal Ashby remains a terribly underrated director.

musicalbeds, Myke and IronWaffle like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Naked Prey!!!!! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

This is a quintessential action film. Stripped (quite literally, boys! Cornell Wilde running around in a g-string) down to hunter vs hunted it's just so elemental I can't resist it. I love simple movies like this. No false complication, love story, or twist. Yes, one of the manly-men movies for sure! (aside from Wilde's somewhat distracting nakedness!)

15. I just bought Sisters a couple of months back so it figures. I think the Arrow looks fine. I could see picking up Sisters if it were in 4K rather than 1080p.

The Naked Prey on the other hand I’m looking forward to.

16. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Yeah, I would have loved to hear a commentary track from Beatty. Maybe Criterion asked him but he refused or couldn’t meet his fee? Don’t know if Beatty has ever done any commentary before.

Edit: I would love to hear any commentary track on Shampoo. How about a film historian, Criterion?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm up for the last three.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Some griping about that one over on the HTF because it's already had like 97 "regular Blu-ray" releases.

Which I kinda get, but Criterion's gotta pay the bills, and "Bride" is a clear home video cash cow!

19. The Hud

Which makes it more amazing I never bought it on Blu Ray.

20. Oatsdad

The Fox BD is really pretty good - I'm not sure how much room for improvement there is on the Criterion, honestly...

21. The Hud

What about Special Features?

22. Oatsdad

It looks like the Criterion will mostly include extras not on the Fox BD. The latter has 2 audio commentaries but neither will appear on the Criterion, as they're going back to the track created for their 90s laserdisc.

I'll be curious to see the Criterion extras for myself, but the Fox BD was already pretty loaded with materials. Like I said, it had 2 commentaries as well as a slew of video programs.

I do look forward to the Criterion BD but I remain skeptical that it'll be much of an upgrade since the existing product is already very good.

"Bull Durham" had a mediocre transfer and no extras, so it had a lot of room for growth. This one? Much less!

23. The Hud

At least the extras are mostly different.

2 commentaries is a bit much for me, personally. I know I have a couple of discs with multiple commentaries, but I have only listened to 1 per movie, myself.

24. Oatsdad

Oh, I love commentaries! Can't get enough of them - the more, the better!

(As long as they're good, that is. One great commentary obviously beats 4 bad ones!)

I'm betting the Criterion track is very good. Their 90s commentaries tend to be strong - back when they went the "edited" route.

Some people hate that method, as they want all commentaries to be running/screen-specific. I don't care what technique the commentary uses - I just want it to be informative and enjoyable!

25. The Hud

The Silence of the Lambs commentary is a great edited one. If they were all that good, then I could handle more than one per movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.