CROSBY & NASH-appreciation. Whistling down the wire...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

CROSBY & NASH

[​IMG]

I'm starting with their third and last until 2004, but I love "Whistling Down The Wire", start to finish.

2. lemonade kid

One of my all time faves from their pairing on vinyl.

bluerondo, yesstiles and Vinyl Socks like this.
  3. lemonade kid

WIND ON THE WATER

[​IMG]

...The album concludes with "To the Last Whale...: Critical Mass/Wind on the Water." The song is not only a testament to the album's skill at making the complex seem effortless, but it also gets its point across without being mushy. Wind on the Water has an instant classic, lived-in sound and is a definite must-have.
    --allmusic guide

4. lemonade kid

Wish these guys would make up and make more music together.

yesstiles, bluerondo and Vinyl Socks like this.
  5. lemonade kid

6. lemonade kid

So beautiful. Voice of an angel.

oxegen, bluerondo and Vinyl Socks like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the 2004 album "crosby*nash" is the best of all of them.......and id you know me you know that is saying a lot.

impeccably sound, excellent songwriting and playing, and not a bad tune on it.

if you have not heard it, run, don't walk, to your computer and get it today.

thank me later.

8. lemonade kid

I'll thank you now!

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Their first album together has always been a personal favourite of mine, from 1972:

[​IMG]

10. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Put all your fingers on the blacknotes...anywhere you want to...

lemonade kid and gregorya like this.
  11. gregorya

that should be Wind on the Water ;)

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

for those who haven't heard this, a 1972 radio broadcast of Crosby and nash with special guest neil young.

Mooserfan likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

Yeah...WIRE on the brain--listening now. I've had the "Wind On The Water" vinyl since it was released---love it so.

gregorya likes this.
  14. gregorya

I thought if you saw my note on time, you'd be within the window to edit the post... ;)

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Given the choice between seeing C, S, N, Y, C&N, CSN, S&Y or CSN&Y, my first choice would always be C&N. The heart and soul of CSN/Y IMO is the musical relationship between these two and the 6 albums they recorded together, along with IICORMN and the "couch" album, are for me the finest ones they both appear on.

Sad that their musical relationship seems to have ended, but my ex and I aren't getting back together no matter how much our kids think they want it, and I won't hold aging singers to a higher standard than I would live up to myself.

I rank their 70s (recorded) albums:
    Wind on the Water
    Another Stoney Evening
    Debut
    Live
    Whistling Down the Wire

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I have this one on LP, can't say I listen to it a lot. It is solid, though. Think I prefer Nash / Crosby a little more.

17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Hard to believe it could be better than their debut. Extremely hard. But I'll check it out and hope to thank you!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:edthumbs:

and i truly believe that you will.

keep in mind it is 30+ years later, makes it all the better.

O Don Piano likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

Can't understand some of the reviews (such as Allmusic) that calls Whistling Down The Wire their weakest. To my ears every song has a strong melody & fine lyrics. Up there with all their albums.

And of course the beautiful song with no words--

yesstiles likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they were great together. imo crosby has no bad albums or bad contributions to any CSN(Y) releases. graham is also pretty on the mark most of the time

21. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Glad to have the CD since the LPs I had always skipped on JB's Blues, which opens side two.
    Anyway, the album has some beautiful work. I remember thinking "Out Of The Darkness" might give them a big ballad hit, but it stalled mid-chart. I liked it a bit less than Wind On The Water and Graham Nash/David Crosby. But then, I think of "Taken At All" , "Time After Time" and the more rocking "Spotlight" and it may be just as good.

22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Yeah, Wind On The Water is a stone classic recording... very evocative of place and time for me. Carry Me is another that lives in my mind a bit, and Take The Money And Run, so I guess my vote is for the second album.

23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

All the albums are excellent. Carry Me is indeed a great song.

Pat

Grow Fins likes this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am probably the biggest CSNY fan going, and for years and years i have wavered between the 4 of them as to who i liked best.........in the last couple of years i have come to realize just how wonderful david crosby is. to the point that he just may be my all-time favorite rock and roll artist.

Grow Fins, Rfreeman, DTK and 2 others like this.
  25. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

The tours (75-76) from this era with the 'Jitters' resulted in some great performances. I wish an expanded edition of the Crosby Nash Live LP would be explored by Nash. Or alternatively an expanded 'Whistling' with live cuts and outtakes.

Quality record, almost acts as a Volume II to Wind on the Water. Time After Time is a special song for me.

yesstiles, Rfreeman and lemonade kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.