Crosley question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylNewbie, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylNewbie

VinylNewbie New Member Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm new here. I made an account just to ask this question;

I have a Crosley CR6008A, and since I was new to the vinyl ripping scene, I got it without doing the research. Now, about a month later, I found out that Crosley turntables probably damage records. I was thinking if I replaced the needle and cartridge with something better, would that prevent further damage and produce better quality? For the record, I use the AUX Line Out to connect it to my computer. I attached side A of a single I ripped using what the turntable came with.

I'm not in a position to get a new turntable at the moment, I'm only a teenager who has no money. What can I do? Replies from experts would be much appreciated.

2. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

You won't be able to replace the cartrdge on this "turntable" and you won't be able to buy any needle upgrades, either. The cartridge is fixed and there is no way to adjust the tracking force. The problem with these Crosley's is that they use ceramic cartridges (1950's technology) with a very high tracking force. That's why they're not good for your records.

Depending on your location, you can check out sites like CraigsList or Kijiji for used vintage turntables. Lots of good models can be had for cheap. You can also check thrift stores or even ask friends of your parents or parents of your friends if they might have an old turntable sitting around. You never know. Just make sure everything is working. You'll usually need to buy a new needle and perhaps a belt, but those don't have to be expensive. Your best bet would probably be a P-Mount Technics or Akai as they usually go for cheap and are easy to set up and you won't damage your records with them. Plus you can get the styli (needles) for cheap or even a complete cartridge like the surprisingly good AT92E ($20 or so online).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. VinylNewbie

Know any specific models that can play 45's and 78's that I could find on Amazon or eBay? Those are the only two sites my parents trust.

4. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

Crosley's are OK, but this just sounds, for lack of a better term, sneezy. The highs just screech, and there's a lot of wow (is it warped?). However, I decided to run it through an RIAA filter and the balance is better. Weird

I still remember this from the dancing toaster scene in Ghostbusters 2. "It's always the quiet ones..." :p

ad180 likes this.
  5. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Your best bet is to look local. Are you in a city or rural area? On amazon you'd have to spend a few hundred to get a decent turntable. Not many turntables can play 78s these days.... And while the Crosley supposedly can, it doesn't come with a proper needle for 78s. The only new turntables I can think of on Amazon that plays 78s and is not a Crosley would be either a Audio Technica ATLP120 which costs about $240 and a Thorens TD190-2 which would set you back $749!

6. VinylNewbie

You see, I had to compress it to a low-qual MP3 to fit this site's size limit. It was originally a 24-bit 96khz WAV recording. See if this sounds better

I'm in a city. Christmas is on the way, so I might try begging for a hifi I found for less than $200. http://www.amazon.com/Electrohome®-SignatureTM-Stereo-System-EANOS700/dp/B008J1IPGS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385164790&sr=1-1&keywords=hifi record player

If that thing is out of the question, I will see about the ATLP120.

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

If you have to go the Amazon route, I'd also recommend the ATLP120. USB out (not great sounding but has a built-in phono stage) plus a cartridge that won't destroy your records (and you can replace it, as well). And it does 78's, but you'd need a separate cartridge for that too.

But I would highly recommend Craiglist or just scanning garage sales. It might take some time but you could get a very good deal.

8. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Another good thing about the ATLP120 (and ironically the Thorens I mentioned too) it comes with the excellent AT95e cartridge which does have a 78 rpm needle available for purchase as well.

9. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

That Electrohome just looks like a rebranded Crosley. Heck, it's probably even worse-"Electrohome" sounds like something you'd see in an Ikea or Brookestone :p
    Meh, still the same "sneezy" sound quality. Try adding an RIAA curve and see how that sounds.

murphywmm likes this.
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Dual 1019 - built like a tank, very reliable. Nothing fancy, but a solid, reliable turntable with good sound that runs at 16/33/45/78 and is easily serviceable.
    [​IMG]
    I bought one for my dad around 1995 or so, and it still runs today. Sold from 1965-1971, but don't let that scare you. Built to last.

Slick Willie and The FRiNgE like this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Every time I see "Crosley" I think "Radio from the Walton's".

Those vinyl "rippers" are not real turntables. In addition to not sounding very good, they will destroy your records after just a single play. The AT-PL120 will do a much better job, and it has the preamp built in, so you won't have to buy it separately. 78's (that's a whole different world) require different equalization than albums, so while it won't be perfect, it'll work okay if you turn down the bass and turn up the treble a little bit.

Welcome to the forum, linger and learn.

12. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Yep, I am pretty sure Crosley sells that exact same Electrohome thing. Probably made in the same factory in China, just a different brand name slapped on it when it's done. I'd spend the extra $40 and get the ATLP120.

You can also buy the 78 rpm stylus for the AT95e cartridge (which comes with the ATLP120) here:
    http://www.turntableneedles.com/Needle-710-D3-for-78-rpm-ONLY_p_3754.html

13. JNK

JNK Well-Known Member

MMmmmmmm, I wouldn't go far as to say they'd rip them in just one play. Repeated playing, yes, but they're not as harsh as the ol' pencil-paper-clip-and-a-cup-ophone (remember doing that as a kid?). In all fairness, any sort of playing on even a $1000 Thorens or Rega will still damage it, but not to the extent of a Crosley :p

14. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

LP 60 is stuck with the basic AT cartridge it is supplied with and is barely adequate. LP-120 much better and can have cartridge choice. Has better potential and better in all ways.

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

No they're not, they're REALLY not. Any proper seventies TT you find for $10 in a yard sale will kick a Crosley to death.

Agent57 likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Crosley is not OK. Crude tonearm with ceramic cartridge tracking at 8-9 grams, not acceptable for record life or for reproduction quality. Even an old 1960 VM changer or Garrard kicks it to the curb.

Agent57 likes this.
  18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Kent says it all with this post. In other words, disregard any of the Crosley advertising and watch the video at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/crosley-record-player.297748/#post-9605498 for more details.

19. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

You know what REALLY annoys me about Crosley?. The number of videos on YouTube where some sixteen year old (or even younger) is showing off their 2012 Beatles stereo vinyl box, then just casually drops in ''I'm not sure I'll hear how good they are, I only have a Crosley''. I can't even afford the separate albums, and these children are playing the box set on a bloody CROSLEY!!!!!!!!!!.

Ash76 likes this.
  20. Thurenity

Not any worse than the crappy record player I played my own Beatles vinyl on, back when I was a kid.

We should be happy that kids are playing vinyl at all - income discrepancies aside.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

But these aren't six year olds,T; great that they're listening to vinyl, but all they need to do is look around for something much better. Crosley isn't good for playing vinyl.

22. Thurenity

I agree, but they're still kids and their parents likely don't know any better either - how many adult consumers even know that those turntables sold at Target could actually damage their records over time? There's a good chance that the parents are the ones that bought the Crosley in the first place, for those teenage kids.

Most consumers aren't us - best we can do is pass on what we know if the situation comes up.

kannibal likes this.
  23. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Crosley = groove chewing record decimating machine

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.