"Crossroads" - Cream or Robert Johnson's Original version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usually I would go with the original but I give Cream the edge.

2. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I can't vote because I love both versions equally. Don't forget though that Cream's version also incorporates some of Traveling Riverside Blues.

3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Cream all the way. Clapton's solo is one the greatest in rock. It thrills me every time I hear it.

4. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

The Cream version from Wheels Of Fire was recorded at the Filmore , the one that appears on YT in several places has a different into and slightly different arrangement - I don't think it's from the Oakland Coliseum but I think it's the best version . Any offers as to where it is ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKOR9t9ynM&feature=related

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The one you've linked to (and which crops up under several different guises on YT) is from the final Albert Hall shows on 26 November 1968, as filmed by Tony Palmer and issued on the Farewell Cream film - judging from the clothes (Eric with his orange jacket on, Ginger in dark green brocade top), the performance is from the first show that night.

Oh, to have that movie recut with decent audio!

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Cream version has worn out it's welcome over the years. Bring it home RJ.

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Robert Johnson

8. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

Have to vote for Cream's version on this one, yes, because of personal(chronological?) reasons. Found out that Robert Johnson existed from that particular song - one of the older, cooler kids in school gave me a cassette with Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, and John Lee Hooker songs on it after I had told him how much I liked Cream.

Now if I had to say if one version was more influential than the other, or if I preferred one version over the other then, well, that would be another question...

9. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

"Now if I had to say if one version was more influential than the other, or if I preferred one version over the other then, well, that would be another question..."

Should have said " or if I now preferred..."

10. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

Yeah, Clapton took the lyrics from Cross Road Blues and combined with a riff from another Robert Johnson song -IIRC it was Terraplane Blues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.