Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Wanted to ask about Pat Kelly. Listening to the "Vintage Series" track I'm In the Mood - was this rerecorded for his album "Lonely Man" or just different mixes?

2. Here is a mix of singles by Jimmy Cliff released between 1975 and 1983 on his Oneness label

Jimmy Cliff Mix

3. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Poison_Flour likes this.
  4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

If you want to go crazy with Reggae Christmas music, this is the YouTube channel to go to: RastaClaus85

Poison_Flour likes this.
  5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

7. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yeah, quite common in the nineties...but not later.

Does anyone know when it was actually first released?
    Link above says 1976, but is that really correct...?

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't know when it originally came out, but 1976 does make sense, it's when he signed to Island so I can just see Sonia Pottinger bringing out a cash in album.

crozcat likes this.
  9. nice throwback styleee

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Is the "Carry Go Bring Come" included here a Reggae version? To explain what I mean, there are three "famous" recordings, the Ska and Rocksteady versions recorded at Treasure Isle, and the Roots Reggae version on the Jezabel Island LP, but there is supposed to be an "Early Reggae" recording, which is quite rare to find on any compilations and which I have yet to hear (it's also hard to search for with those other versions existing), and I'm thinking this must be it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

From a cursory look, I think you may be correct. Looks similar to the Trojan comp from years back:

Justin Hinds & The Dominoes - Carry Go Bring Come - The Anthology

Great tracks, btw. If it turns out there's not much overlap these tunes are crucial IMO and I'll be getting that Cherry Red release.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Which compilation is that? On all Trojan releases I have it is the Ska and/or Rocksteady recording that is included. I think the later Reggae version is supposed to be on one of those Trojan 3-CD boxes, but I don't remember which one. This is if there actually is such a version, I'm not even sure since I haven't heard it. Either way it could also be that this album just uses the Rocksteady version.

13. Bobby Buckshot

Is this the rocksteady version? If so, then this is the one I'm thinking of that's on the Carry Go Bring Come Anthology set in addition to the ska version.

[​IMG]

johnnybrum likes this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

For comparison's sake, here's the later reggae version that I'm familiar with:

The ska version is rather ubiquitous.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that is the one I refer to as the Rocksteady version, I have read that there is a later Treasure Isle recording in the early Reggae style, maybe it is just a misunderstanding. (I think there is also supposed to be a fifth recording of the song, later than all these mentioned.)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  16. django68

django68 Forum Resident

I've never heard a Treasure Isle reggae version of "Carry..." and I have a memory that it's the ska version on that album re-issue from Cherry Red - I don't have it but some taped it for me years ago. For the record, the only other later version I know is the Jamaican All Stars version with Justin.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm sorry, I think the whole thing is a misunderstanding, I managed to find where I had read about this and the whole discussion had it's roots in something Ray Hurford said, he is a very knowledgeable person, but he also has a tendency to present surprising and spectacular facts that it seems that no one else can corroborate.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. whats the link to Ray's discussion?
    thanks

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

21. Been obsessing on this, especially the sublime B Side with the Barrett Brothers in FULL EFFECT

22. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Something I play a couple times a year.

The Otis Redding cover sort of brings the energy of the show down.
    But, it is still enjoyable.

Spadeygrove and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Poison_Flour likes this.
  24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Pressure Sounds will release another "2fer", this time it's Bunny Lee & The Aggrovators Super Dub Disco Style with the "bonus" Tommy McCook & The Agrovators Disco Rockers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Disco-Style-Star-Rockers/dp/B078YKPVD7

I have nothing against this new model, since these 2-CDs seem to be the same price as their single CDs. :)

-

Word is also out that the next Studio One release from Yep Rock will be Freddie McGregor's Bobby Bobylon (although I haven't found any official announcement, besides a tweet that hinted at it, but I have it from a reliable source). I hope this is not just a reissue of the old Heartbeat Deluxe Edition...

I am a massive Freddie fan, but I have to say that this practice of relying so heavily on reissuing albums already released by Heartbeat is disappointing. While on the one hand I can understand that such classic albums are easy to sell and therefore "safe" releases, and while I am definitely not particularly interested in only obscure Dub albums and such things, there are on the other hands also so many legendary albums that have not had any such reissues at all, and should give them some good sellers without having to resort to this type of recycling. One that springs to mind is Sugar Minott's Live Loving for example, I would love to have a copy of this album, it's a great album that I don't own because I couldn't afford it, even if I should find a (probably very tatty) copy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    turnersmemo likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Odds on it's the Heartbeat, very annoying that the really interesting things seem to be wasted on RSD releases we can't get in Europe without paying through the nose whilst the readily available releases often tread a very safe path of easily available titles, "Money Maker" and Freddie McKay aside. A copy of "Live Loving" shouldn't be too difficult or expensive should it? It used to be relatively common, apart from with the black sleeve.