Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Purchased the Hot Milk CD of Planet Earth & Planet Mars Dub yesterday after remembering we still have a cd store in our city with a suprsingly nice reggae selection
    also ended up coming home with the The Strange And Wonderful Story of Yabby You

ando here and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Great buys! :edthumbs:

3. Just picked up on Discogs an original pressing on Bunny Lee's "King of Dub"

Any thoughts on that particular album?

4. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Poison_Flour likes this.
  5. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Nice selection of tunes on this I may have to track down a copy my self I'm certain I have this one on a 10 inch but under a different name

6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I've been going through my Little Roy singles recently and was reminded how much I like them - Pressure Sounds did an excellent job collating his works on 2 compilations, Little Roy - Tafari Earth Uprising which has most of his singles and my personal favourite Little Roy & Friends* - Packin House which has both unreleased Little Roy tunes and some of his excellent productions from the '70s

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Both excellent comps.:agree:

Poison_Flour and marmalade166 like this.
  8. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely crucial! :righton:

The ONE LP I would like to see re-released is Little Roy´s Tribal War. Preferably on CD, but vinyl will do!
    Wonder why it hasn´t been done - licensing problems?
    I don´t want to wait in vain...

marmalade166 likes this.
  9. marmalade166

Haven't the Basic Channel guys reissued it then as they have a lot of other Bullwackies related material?

10. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Unfortunately not. :cry:

11. marmalade166

Here's another trailer for the upcoming film about Trojan Records

12. I'm not sure how many tracks or albums Trojan actually produced rather than merely license or distribute. None come to mind, but I'm not a huge collector or that label. I much prefer to study Studio One or Channel One, Treasure Isle, Taxi. And, in the UK, Island. Quite frankly whenever possible, I'd rather go straight to the source. Plus I've always hated the overdubs on Jamaican productions that Trojan mandated to make the songs more palatable to a Pop base in the UK

ElevateMeLater and Izozeles like this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Though without all the licensing money and tour money spend from Trojan Jamaican producers would have been a lot poorer and have recorded a lot less tracks, Trojan also sowed the seed for later labels, both Jamaican and British, plus we might have never had the Black Ark without Trojan's payments to Perry, now that is a scary thought.

14. you do have a point
    I still don't understand how they keep releasing (despite repeated attempts to stop this by artists) Sly & Robbie albums. They keep feigning ignorance despite the fact that Robbie and I went there and told them and reviewed everything with them!

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's just piracy because they know that you can't afford to take the expensive legal action to stop them and lawyers cost more than any royalties, as we both know they aren't the only major label ripping off Reggae artists in that way, all rights should revert to the musicians, or in the common Jamaican case of work for hire, "producer" after a set number of years unless the label has cast iron paperwork proving they have paid for an extension, no licencing in perpetuity, that would strip the catalogues of the majors and free up the music for labels like ours to pay the right people and make things available.

Poison_Flour and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

There was a strong friendship between Coxsone Dodd and George Peckings, with Peckings handling some UK releases for Dodd, I don't believe the relationship extended to the next generation of each family meaning that those compilations along with any UK recordings using Studio One backing tracks didn't have any explicit approval or agreements, the same applies to Treasure Isle tracks, I believe they were told to stop releasing the comps, especially as Studio One had a European licensee in the shape of Soul Jazz who most likely weren't too pleased with the Peckings output. The one exception might be the Tribute album that came out in 1995 following George Peckings death, Dodd may have let that one go, but these days I'd expect zero tolerance from Studio One, Yep Roc and Soul Jazz, plus Universal or whoever currently controls the Treasure Isle catalogue.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    ElevateMeLater likes this.
  18. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

At one point in my life I had copies of fifteen Eek-A-Mouse albums!

McCluth likes this.
  19. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

BBC posted this video today.

Even though I'm in the US, I always had a thing for Lovers Rock. Although sometimes it can get too sweet, I still love it :)

20. here is the first track from Keith Foundation's upcoming album

21. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Question-does the reggae legend Greensleeves sets -the 4 cd ones , duplicate the original artwork on the sleeves?
    Looking at the Josey Wales set with the Yellowman clash cd within.
    Thanks

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

They do with the dub sets but I'm not sure about those.

23. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Thanks guess they all probably do then since they look pretty on the outside.

24. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Looks like they took down the video I posted and put up a new one. I can't edit my post. So here's the new version.

zphage and uzn007 like this.
  25. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

It's been a while since I last bought some Reggae so whenever I noticed this Upsetter produced album that I used to have on LP in the CD bargains I couldn't resist purchase. Good to revive some of these Lovers classics again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super Eight - George Faith (Black Swan/Island/Black Art/Spectrum) CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]