Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Since Greensleeves is now owned by VP I am suspicious of any recent mastering, because even if they have the proper tapes the quality of their mastering process seems to be very hit and miss. But it seems some Greensleeves reissues can some times be made from old stampers (or with old metal parts as source anyway), or at least that has been the case in the past, which would make them practically as good as original pressings.

There's always Lovers and Soul on Freddie McGregor albums, but the early stuff is rootsy too. Vintage recordings from the late 70's and early 80's are never less than excellent, but then I am a fan, so I am biased. :)
    Besides Big Ship, some other recommendations are Mr McGregor [aka Freddy McGregor], available on a CD from VP that includes the Lovers Rock [aka Showcase] album as bonus, both produced by Niney (an alternative is Zion Chant on Heartbeat, it includes all the same songs, but does not have the extended versions of the VP). Then there is of course the classic Studio One album Bobby Bobylon, which is a must.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I also quite like the three albums that came out on RAS: Come On Over, Across the Border and All In the Same Boat.

And don't forget the great "Joggin'", but I have already posted that one earlier in this thread, so I won't repeat myself... :angel:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

For anyone who likes this album and is unaware of how awesome the 7" Joe Gibbs dub version sounds, you NEED to listen to this....

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A few days ago (on 14 August) Maurice Roberts of The Gaylads passed away. I think he was the only constant member through their line up changes, but the classic lineup also featured B.B. Seaton and Delano Stewart. I was listening to them the other day and thought it would be appropriate to give them a mention in the thread at this time (although they have been mentioned here before). Classic Rock Steady trio with a beautiful sound, here are some favourite albums, as listening suggestion, Soul Beat on Studio One, Fire and Rain on Beverley's (reissued on Jet Set) and the compilation Over the Rainbows End on Trojan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maurice Roberts reformed The Gaylads, with brothers Randell and Hopeton Thaxter, and did a "comeback" album for Roy Cousins in 1979, Understanding:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKRX2Re_T7g

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

5. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Spotted this CD in the bargains. I was not going to bother with it as I have number of Maytals 7" & 2 LPs already but am so glad I picked it up.

There are no Studio 1 tracks on this compilation but what is included has been very well selected and the music sounds better than ever thanks to whoever is responsible for the great digital remastering work.

8 page attractive colour booklet included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Best Of Toots And The Maytals Pressure Drop (Island/Universal)

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I also have many Toots compilation already, but have been contemplating getting this if it has improved sound. It is part of a series of compilations Universal did a while back (I have some of the others):

The Best Of Aswad - Don’t Turn Around
    The Best Of Sly & Robbie - Hot You Hot
    The Best Of Toots & The Maytals - Pressure Drop
    The Best Of Black Uhuru - Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner
    The Best Of Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
    The Best of Inner Circle - Everything Is Great
    The Best Of Third World - Now That We’ve Found Love

7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I always want to be able to hear the original vocal versions of dub tracks I like, and especially when I have a dub counterpart to a complete album it is always a must to try to get hold of the original album it versions, and I find it frustrating when a dub album is re-released and is commonly available but the original vocal album can't be found. One of these that has given me a headache is Larry Marshall's I Admire You, which I was reminded of beacause we were talking about Motion records, who have released I Admire You In Dub. I have never seen a picture of a cover for the original pressing, I don't think it had one, but shown below is a different pressing which I don't know when it's from, and the rather unflattering cover of the Heartbeat reissue, which adds a couple of extended tracks. I have never actually seen the Heartbeat for sale, so I finally gave in and found an "alternate" way to get it, and it is a great record, should be more easily available.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The above was Larry Marshall's second album, his first, which is a little more well known is Presenting... on Studio One. Larry was not only a singer but an important songwriter, his "Nanny Goat" (included here) is often cited as the first song to properly use the Reggae rhythm. He also worked as an arranger and engineer at Studio One. Shown is the original pressing, and again a Heartbeat reissue, the latter is almost as rare as the above, but I have actually managed to find a copy of this, it is a classic Studio One album. Coxone only put out this one title, but there are many more S1 recordings strewn around on compilations.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

His songs have been the basis of many later recordings, this riddim might be familiar:

The lyrics also include the asides "If the cap fit you, then wear it" and "If I sow, I sow", I don't know if they first appeared here, probably not, but I'm sure our friend Bob had an ear for this song.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Bobby Buckshot and Jackie P like this.
  8. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

So I've picked up a couple others from this series (Roots and Rock Steady) and they're great. Looking at the Dub comp next. Anyone comment on the quality of the tunes? I don't have any dub at the moment, but enjoy what I've heard.

[​IMG]
    Trojan Records Dub Volume 1

Tracklist
    1 –Johnny Clarke & The Aggrovators A Ruffer Version 3:37
    2 –The Upsetters Sipple Dub 3:25
    3 –Linval Thompson & The Revolutionaries Jamaican Colley 3:46
    4 –Rupie Edwards All Stars Buck Shot Dub 3:38
    5 –Prince Far I & The Arabs Foundation Stepper 4:04
    6 –Techniques All Stars Stalag 17 3:11
    7 –Joe Gibbs & The Professionals Rockers Dub 2:34
    8 –Prince Jammy Jammin'for Survival 7:07
    9 –Observers & King Tubby's, The Rebel Dance 2:57
    10 –Roots Radics Band, The* Mission Impossible 3:17

Django and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I would say it's a great selections of tracks (or "crucial" even, as it were), and that goes for the other titles in that series as well. It is also a pretty small and basic sampling, and if one already has a bit of Reggae in the collection most of what is on these compilations is superflous. But for the newcomer wanting a taste this is a good starting point.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    inaptitude likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I should also add that all of these tracks (except the last one) are also on the current double CD Trojan Presents: Dub, where you get "40 Deep And Heavy Hits", so a little more bang for the buck for those that do CD instead of vinyl (but then again it seems these Trojan LPs are US only, while their CDs on the other hand are rest of the world, so maybe that will the deciding factor).

I am pretty bad at remembering the names of dub tracks (they are kind of samey), and what they version unless the title makes it obvious, so on the note of my above post about wanting the vocals version, and just for fun, I tried to think of where these originate, how'd I do?:

1. Johnny Clarke ”Poor Marcus”
    2. Max Romeo ”War Ina Babylon”
    3. Linval Thompson ”I Love Marijuana”
    4. Rupie Edwards ”Ire Feelings”
    5. Prince Far I ”Ten Commandments”
    6. Ansell Collins ”Stalag 17” (instrumental)
    7. Glen Washington "Rockers (No Crackers)"
    8. The Morwells ”Kingston 12 Tuffy”
    (...and the last two I don't know where they originate...)

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

9. Hurts So Good - Susan Cadogan
    10. I don't know - but I can hear faint vocals that sound a little Earth & Stone-ish, but this is a Jammy's production no? Probably not E&S but maybe a vocal group on Jammy's label...???

And ditto your review on that set. Lots of variation in production styles. In addition to the Trojan dub comp on 2 CD, I'd also say the Island 2CD dub comp is a worthy buy. But - if you want vinyl, this is a good set to start with.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Hmm, "Rebel Dance" is not a version of "Hurt So Good", X-raymusic has it as "That Was Love" by Max Romeo, which is a song I don't think I've heard...

10. "Mission Impossible" is actually Freddie McGregor's "Sweet Lady" from Big Ship (Linval Thompson production), it is included on Scientist and Jammy Strike Back!, which versions other songs from that album. I am a bit embarrased of not recognizing that after just proclaiming myself a Freddie fan at the top of this very same page... :oops:

About the "variation in production styles", I actually think that can be a bit jarring on this type of various artists dub compilation, I'd rather hear an album of dubs that are of productions that are a bit more similar in style, but these are all good tracks of course.

13. inaptitude

I don't have a CD player so vinyl is my preferred medium. I have a couple of other reggae comps but these Trojan ones are fantastic for someone like me that is really trying to scoop up essential tracks.

14. inaptitude

Picked up the above Dub collection I mentioned and it's killer. Also bought their Ska Volume I which is great as well. I'm not up to four from the original five that were released and they are so great.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Great Live album from a group I always followed.
    [​IMG]

16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

The Japanese Island/Universal CD: Max Romeo - War Ina Babylon, which has the whole album "Reconstruction" as bonus tracks.

black sheriff likes this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

I more of a dub fan than straight reggae.......

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, lots of good stuff in that Japanese "Roots Rock Reggae" series, there are several CDs that are combinations like that and where often one (or both) of the albums is rare on CD:

Max Romeo: War Ina Babylon + Reconstruction
    Ijahman: Haile I Hymn + Are We a Warrior
    Pablo Moses: A Song + Pave the Way
    Justin Hines & The Dominoes: Jezebel + Just In Time
    Heptones: Night Food + Party Time
    Gregory Isaacs: More Gregory + Night Nurse

crozcat and morgan1098 like this.
  19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Wow! I posted some links to the "Roots Rock Reggae" series earlier in this thread but I don't remember seeing any two-fers on there. I just looked up the Max Romeo on amazon and sellers have it new for less than $10. I need to get some of these.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I am just reading that Rico Rodriguez has passed away today...:( What a legend, R.I.P.

The albums Man From Wareika and Wareika Dub are also available in the above mentioned Japanese series, and they are great, check them out. Of course there's lots more great stuff by the man from before that, and there's actually an very extensive discography at Wikipedia (unusual for a Reggae artist):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rico_Rodriguez_discography

21. Django

Django Forum Resident

Bit of a reggae feel to this

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Aww, sorry to hear that. :(

23. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Any idea what these three titles/artists are..? Many thanks, in advance.

Link removed - thx dubmart.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

First one is Scotty "Clean Race", second one is nice, but isn't Reggae, third one is Teddy Magnus, "Beautiful Sunday" and that one really pushed my memory.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Got it, second one is "Taxi Driver" by Small Island Pride, a nice slice of Calypso.

macdaddysinfo likes this.