CSNY reunion rumor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ExHead, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, injecting politics into their concerts make them a no go for me as well (which is sad...I really love Buffalo Springfield & the Byrds). However, I'm not going to pay top dollar to subjugate myself to their guilt shaming, lecture fest.

Matthew Tate and Rhett like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Buffalo Springfield of course put themselves on the map with a political single by Stephen Stills. Probably the most political of his well known songs.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Reports at the time said that a few songs were finished-- "You Can Close Your Eyes," "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Ruby Tuesday." Nash said that CSN basically hated Rubin and weren't happy with the tracks they did finish.

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

The MEZ, Matthew Tate and RockRoom like this.
  5. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Thank you for the kind word!

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, apparently such "preaching" and "sermonizing" was much more on the ok side back then in popular music.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This reunion will almost certainly happen, regardless of the participants' feelings toward each other.

As to ticket prices: I've never seen them but last time CSN toured Britain (in 2014?), their prices were very reasonable. Of course, when you add Y you add£/$.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This is the best news of this entire thread!!!!!! Great collective....LOVE the blend of Crosby and Becca's voices. Heavenly.

As a huge CSN(Y) fan, I frankly hope they never reconnect/reform/reunion. We have been spoilt by the best run of albums since the early 70's period, and I for one hope they continue coming

A CSNY album would not excite me at all at this stage..........A Stills/Hillman album could though......

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I don't think this was even a term when they last toured. And were they ever even that interested in racial politics? "Southern Man" and "Alabama," perhaps, but they are solo Young songs (although CSNY performed them in concert).

10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Guilt shaming? I saw CSNY three times, and they never came close to that. Sheesh.

NaturalD, Crozet Beat and keyse1 like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I would ask why you listen to them in the first place. You have heard "Four Way Street," yes?

O Don Piano, NaturalD, keyse1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Not to forget that CSN are banned from entering the world's biggest communist country... So, they certainly throw punches in all directionns.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm a much bigger fan of their previous bands (especially Buffalo Springfield and the Byrds....less so the Hollies).

Four Way Street is the double live album, yeah? I've heard parts of it, not the whole thing.

14. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

RE: PERRO sessions release:

With the cast of characters on that one, rights issues will keep it on the shelf. I also doubt there's much market for it anymore.

It's easy to hear (the session's on YouTube, for instance), and, to me, not so interesting. It sounds like what it is - some very stoned jams (albeit by first-rate musicians) that weren't cohesive enough to make it onto a Crosby solo record.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's probably the point where CSNY's politics became fully linked with their music, and really continued that way for most of their career. Much more so than the Byrds or Springfield, since both had key members (McGuinn, Furay) who were largely apolitical.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Agree. They could really compliment each other much as they did in Manassas. For that matter, why not add Ritchie Fuary as a 3rd voice? Whatever the failings or missed opportuities of SHF, their harmonies were stellar.

For that matter, I sort of wish some of the other musicians from the whole Byrds/Springfield family tree might try to work together in some new collaborations. Much as the Wilburys are admired, nobody seems to pick up on the model of how they productively worked together.

17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

haha.... and it wasn't even a political song!

18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

They were singing Uncle John's Band on the 2009 summer tour and Nash would introduce it saying it was, "going to be on a covers album produced by Rick Rubin".
    Oh well. Pretty darn good version, too!

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Sounds like you're not much of a fan of CSNY. So why would you even consider going? In the hope of hearing "For What It's Worth" or "Eight Miles High"?

O Don Piano and JoeRockhead like this.
  20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

To some extent, yes. I saw Stills solo around 5 years ago, and he did a bunch of Buffalo Springfield material. Enjoyed the heck out of that. Obviously, a CSNY concert would be a different beast.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

No kidding - a $200 difference! You'd be better off catching Roger McGuinn if you want to hear Byrds songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

One problem with CSNY live is Nash usually has nothing to do on stage for that last half except bang a tambourine when Stills and Young start jamming. Another is that if you agree with them politically they're still not very edifying or thought provoking. The 'political' songs in the Freedom of Speech tour (in which they played 9 out of 10 Living with War Song, which was about 7 too many imo) basically communicated at the level of bumper stickers. Crosby's rearranged as an R+B workout "Long Time Gone' was an exception. Who knew he could sing like that! If you don't agree with them, well, they certainly aren't offering any nuanced or even well thought out reasons that will challenge your own beliefs. So, they come across as sort of condescending.

The MEZ, bonus and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They did a few other songs too-- I remember "Midnight Rider" and there were probably others. The sad thing is that they were really excited about doing this stuff-- Crosby was shouting "Surprise!" after a couple of the songs. Probably the last time that CSN as a group was really that into a new project, before it went sour.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you define political song to only include stuff like "Jesse" or "Let's Impeach the President"

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Four Way Street does represent CSNY at their most political but they 'quietened down' somewhat after that and edged slightly off their soapboxes. When CSN reformed for the 1977 album, the politics had been watered down: Nash's songs about the environment being polluted were about as political as they got. The last CSNY tour was a lot more militant in tone but that may have been because Young had just released an overtly political album.

I think CSN (f not Y) are savvy enough to know they have a wide audience that is not always on the same page as them politically. If they tour, you can probably expect a degree of Trump-abuse or of sarcasm directed at the President. But that will probably be as nothing compared to Todd Rundgren's 'dedicated' anti-Trump tour or Roger Waters' recent tour.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.