"CSNY will never tour again, ever..."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimM

TimM Senior Member

From the looks of the financial information supplied here all four are doing very well. It probably makes no sense to put themselves in an unpleasant situation if they don't enjoy working together.

2. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Did they discuss his divorce or Daryl Hannah at all? The fact that Neil would ever appear on Stern with his desire for privacy is a bit surprising. The idea that he's doing it right now with the divorce, Daryl Hannah, and David Crosby issues all "hot" is shocking. I wonder if it was a contractual thing with the publisher of his book as part of the financial negotiations?

3. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

None of these guys should be struggling as they all do relatively well on the road and have had consistently strong income for decades. It's not like they are selling 200 tickets a show at $20 playing some dive bar. That's why I laughed at Crosby's whole "can't afford a new car" thing earlier this year too. However, if you have enough expensive habits and make enough poor financial decisions anything is possible.

4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Maybe 9,000 in a 15-20,000 seat venue doesn't look so good, but if you can pull in 9,000 people where else do you play? He'd have to do two or three shows somewhere else.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Crosby likely has very significant medical expenses being the owner of a transplanted liver, has indicated that he did not make any profit doing his solo tour (likely in part due to giving his band a nice cut), and certainly can't expect to make much even on a critically well received new album.
    He does make money going out with CSN. Don't know if he makes more with CSNY, but it may be more fun for him.

6. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

If you're not a Sirius subscriber, it may get posted on soundcloud later today. That's what happened last week when Howard interviewed Bill Murray (another rare interviewee). Anyway, someone will probably put the audio on youtube at the very least...

IndyTodd likes this.
  7. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Howard brought up Neil's new relationship with Daryl Hannah near the end of the interview, but it seemed talking about his divorce of Pegi was likely off-limits...

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Any jokes about getting some (mermaid) tail?

IndyTodd likes this.
  9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Basically Stern brought up the NO CSN&Y EVER thing and wondered if there could be reconciliation for money or a charity.
    "Not gonna' happen"... NY actively avoided DC by name.

10. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Good point about his medical expenses. I definitely think David is the least well off financially of the four for a variety of reasons. I'm sure he also worries about reaching a point where his health won't allow him to continue to tour at the same rate. The solo tour was just a very small thing he did for enjoyment and knew going in that even if the shows sold out (as most did) he wasn't going to walk away with a profit. Touring is clearly his bread and butter. He would make more with CSNY (bigger crowds, more expensive tickets) but CSN are a very reliable yearly touring act that give him a nice paycheck every year. If you look at their recent grosses, divide it by 30%, then give him a third it would be somewhat reasonable to think he might make a little over a million a year from CSN touring. If you look at the house he lives in it kind of tells the story. It's nice and for most of us it would likely be something we would think is incredible but it's not a crazy enormous place like Neil's ranch or a $20 million Beverly Hills spread. He's got a nice place, a little breathing room in terms of land, but nothing crazy. I'm not surprised that keeping a steady stream of touring income matters to David but I'm skeptical about his claims about not being able to afford a new car.

11. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I agree. There aren't nearly as many venues in that size range. Neil's one of those acts that (at least with a band) is really too popular for a theater in many places but not big enough to fill a big arena in most cities. So, you typically go the arena route and have some empty seats.

12. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

That's cool. We can all have our different takes on albums. Yeah - I didn't like any of the albums you listed, with maybe the exception of "Psychedelic Pill".....I might need to reconsider that one.

13. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Personal to IndyTodd--will you do my taxes?

IndyTodd likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Whether C makes more with CSN or CSNY depends on how much of a cut Neil took with CSNY.
    The last two times I saw CSNY, on the Living With War tour, they were playing the same amphitheaters that CSN play and the lawn seats were cheap.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If he takes care of himself, the expenses go down after some years pass. We have a friend who had a new liver years ago and she told me her medication regimen is down to next to nothing. she just has to watch what she eats and really listen to her body. Outside of some (as yet) minor eye issues, she's doing really well. If Crosby is a ***** and doesn't take care of himself, then he'll be shelling out money until he passes away.

16. Wipin Dsser

Wipin Dsser Active Member

I get what you're saying. His style is crude, wild, dirty, noisy, but it's a style, an option of playing, a direction he choosed to take. Doesn't matter if he understands about scales or not, he doesn't need them, don't want them. There is a lot of players with the same philosophy as him, Nels Cline is one of them. He is more technical of course, but favors feeling, emotion, energy, themes, atmosphere etc. Omar Rodríguez-Lopez is another one. That clean and technical sound from TMV albums is from John Frusciante playing, not his. But his solo albums and live playing tells another story.

About Harrison, he mocked Neil's playing, he said that one should only play one note solos for having a laugh. To me, he is one of the most boring guitar players around, there is no finesse there. His playing sounds emaciated to me, if that makes sense. I also don't like Lennon's playing, and as you might have guessed, i don't like The Beatles.

17. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Uh-hu, so Howard Stern won a morality contest against Neil? Who would have thought that?

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

With Nels it's a choice. With Neil I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the knowledge/technique/facility to play more conventional lead guitar. But there's a market for what he does, and I'm part of it.

IndyTodd likes this.
  19. Wipin Dsser

Wipin Dsser Active Member

Well, i saw a lot of CSNY shows where him and Stills battle it out to see who is the baddest and meanest, and when Neil is competing with him, he totally changes his style of playing to a more traditional one, with more technically sound solos, so a desagree with you. We agree to desagree then, and that's cool, that's what this forum is for.

20. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Maybe in your market but overall CSN is playing smaller venues than CSNY. CSN these days is almost entirely a combo of theaters (think 2,000-4000 seats) and what the industry calls wine and cheese sheds (smaller outdoor venues in the 2,000-roughly 8,000 range. All the CSNY reunion tours played major NBA/NHL arenas (20,000 or so) or major amphitheaters (again typically around 20,000). There might be a very small number of venues that both CSN and CSNY could play (Jones Beach comes to mind) but largely they are going to be playing substantially larger venues with CSNY than CSN can get booked into these days. You'd have to go back to the 90's to find a time where CSN consistently played the big arenas and sheds with 20k capacity nationally. The only option for CSN to get a tour into venues like those at this point would be a package tour with a band like Chicago, etc. They did a few of those but seem to prefer headling on their own in smaller venues vs. co-headling with an equal draw in a bigger venue.

bonus likes this.
  21. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Have you ever played a big place, thought you could fill it, and nobody showed up? I sure as hell have and there were a million reasons why we didnt.

That figure only shows to me that Neil Young brought out 8000 people to listen to him in one freaking night, and thats probably more people than I played to all of last year. Thats a truth, and thats how I look at these things.

I dont know. this entire argument, can Neil fill up a big hall, has no interest to me, and I dont really see what it has to do with Young vs Crosby vs Hannah.

YOU have insisted TWICE on this thread, that your opinion, or your method of looking at stastitics, are TRUTH, and, in my opinion, there are no truths here. All subjective opinion.

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

nah, I'm just ragging on IndyTodd who has TWICE now asserted that his opinion is the TRUTH, and its bullsh*t to assert that.

23. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Agree with that. His whole angle comes off to me as agenda-driven.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  24. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

If you truly do have Sirius, you know that they replay the show all day long.

25. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.