Culture Club new album and tour news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

2. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I feel as though I have read variations of this same profile of George a million times before. He barely mentions Culture Club. He always talks about things he's planning to do like reality shows, fashion and makeup lines that never materialize.
    I much prefer reading interviews with Jon, Roy and Mikey these days because they tell you something about the band or the music.
    And if you read between the lines of his comments about both Madonna and Jon, you can tell he really doesn't like them even though he's trying to be non controversial and diplomatic.
    The article mentions he played the new single for the author but the article only vaguely describes it which is annoying.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

George posted two brief clips from the new album on his Instagram stories. One was a reworked version of Runaway Train and the other was of the new song You Give Me Life. I wasn't too impressed with either. There were kind of slow and dull. The original Runaway Train had more punch and spark to it.
    I really don't understand why they rejected Youth's production to go with these Future Cut people. Youth is an absolute legend in the music business who knows his stuff.
    Interestingly he is current writing and producing an album with Melanie C, the former Spice Girl. I think she is a very underrated singer and songwriter. Youth and Melanie C sound like a match made in heaven! I can't wait to hear that album. Anyone like Youth who appreciates both Jon Moss and Melanie C. is a friend of mine!

4. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Here's a great interview with my special guy Jon! It starts around 2:09.

BBC Local Radio - Danny Pike, 16/06/2018

He gives a great interview! I love how honest and real he's wiling to be. None of that spiritual PR fakeness we get from George!
    Jon is the best!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks !!! Jon is so great :)

Maddy5 likes this.
  7. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I think they've had to slow down/simplify for George's voice. Which is, diplomatically speaking, no what it used to be.

I was not impressed with his solo album, for the same reason (bland and slow).

Davidmk5 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Don' t see why they would have to slow down. If someone's voice is not as good, ballads don't sound good. When I've seen them live, he sounds way better on the uptempo songs than the slower ones like Victims.

I think it's more he wants to be taken seriously as a songwriter and he thinks slower mature music will lead to that. People always make fun of older artists who do fun uptempo pop music as trying to be young.

Davidmk5 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Jon is awesome. He has another band Ridiculous who did a gig last week in London. They are inspired by the Beatles and do 60's style pop rock with vocal harmonies. Jon describes them as an antidote to the claustrophobia of modern digital music. Check out Ridiculous Rock on FB or twitter.

A fun fact about them is their keyboard player is the brother of Sasha Baron Cohen of Ali G. fame, and did the music for all of his movies.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  10. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

The presenter of this interview was brilliant as well. He seems to be friends with Jon and knew something about him. It always surprises me when interviewers don't even bother to do the most basic research on their subjects. When you ask people intelligent questions instead of silly ones, an interview goes so much better!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Oh cool , i'll check it out , always liked Jon , he was just no BS & says things like they are & rolls with them , probably the Nicest guy in the band to meet too , though Mikkey is a nice guy as well .

Maddy5 likes this.
  12. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

13. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Figures they are ignoring Canada again on their tour. They were so huge here in the 80's. They were supposed to play Victoria BC 2 years ago but cancelled :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe ticket sales were poor and that's why they cancelled? Hope they come to Canada again at some point.

Matthew Tate and Troystar like this.
  15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

They are playing in Canada.
    August 24 in Toronto
    August 25 in Montreal
    August 26 in Quebec City.

16. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

17. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Let Somebody Love You is the first single. It's a remixed version. I'm not too crazy about it. The reggae thing has become such a cliche for me with them.

18. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Mmm, not very impressed with that song. Trouble is I really liked George's young voice so I'm not sure if this album will be for me.
    Oh well, lets hope the hard core fans like it.
    Has Boy George piled on the weight again?

20. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

At least Neil Tennant

21. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I really don't mind his voice. I guess I got used to the change. I just am bored with the reggae thing. But most of their fans love the traditional reggae sound.

And really who cares about his weight? Why does everyone have to be thin? I hate that kind of body fascism. His personality annoys me much more than his weight.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

After boring us to death in every interview for the past 7-8 years about clean eating, raw food, veganism and about how he lost 40 kilos I smell a rat.
    I think George's manager who is into modern celebrity has hatched a plan for him to put on loads of weight and then lose it again, and then release a fitness dvd in time for Xmas.
    This kind of thing is all the rage now with slebs....

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

24. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

25. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I think you are taking that way too far. George is just a big guy! He's not meant to be thin. A lot of people who lose a lot of weight tend to gain most of it back no matter how many diets that follow. Hardly unusual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.