Current ABKCO Stones Relationship

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nivek29, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nivek29

nivek29 New Member Thread Starter

Do the Stones still harbor animosity towards ABKCO?

What's the story? How did all of the ill-will begin? What the story behind "********er Blues."

To what extent does ABKCO own the Stones back catalog?

Can ABKCO issue previously unreleased material in future packages without the approval of the Stones?

How much input did the Stones have in the current reissue campaign?

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I read that they buried the hatchet. Thus the 40 Licks collection from both labels.

The Kliens still own the Decca catalogue.

The story on CS Blues was that the Stones still owed Decca a tune to complete their contract. They gave Decca CS Blues. Decca said "unfair".

Somehow it worked out that both Decca and the new Stones label both wound up with rights to release Brown Sugar & Wild Horses. That's why you see those tunes on Hot Rocks.

Obviously I'm short on some details but that's a long story in short form.

Mud-

3. nivek29

nivek29 New Member Thread Starter

so klein owns the masters to the decca material?

but does he also own the decca session reels, which contain outtakes and alternates?

or do the stones own the decca session tapes? and who is currently in possession of the multi-track session tapes?

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Abkco owns everything Decca and London via Stones under Andrew from years ago. The Stones wanted a better record deal, and Allen got them what they deserved. The problem is, it's the genie in the bottle backlash. They had to give up control for even more money. Watching Keith dramatize how Allen went into Decca and told them pay or else, while Keith was told to sit there with shades on was hillarious (25X5, CMV Video).

More cooperation from both sides, now. More of a reason to cooperate....a tour, and the pull is tremendous. However, Allen is not giving back any control from what I understand. He has cooperation with the Stones and has agreed to do this and that.

Hatchet is buried, yes. Better than ever.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As is my understanding, Universal/Polygram used to have most/all of the Stones' multitracks (in Edison, NJ). Presumably they got them via Decca, but it seems as if ABKCO actually owned them. Well, at some point (early '90s I believe), ABKCO gave the order to trash them all. The story I've heard is that while they *were* trashed on paper, someone did keep them.

It is unclear exactly where those tapes are now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.