Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I know what you mean; I did notice a certain difference, almost as if he was intentionally making an effort to sound more pronounced, maybe because it was a program in honour of Vera?

2. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

No, it sounded very natural to me hence why it stuck out. If he could hide whatever his trouble has been why wouldn't he have done it previously as he's given some important interviews over the recent years so if he was trying hard to hide whatever mouth/teeth/voice affliction he's had previously I think he would have slipped up just the once but he was great..like the Paul of old (no pun intended). His talking voice probs and when the she-devil made him have that hideous short hair were the two things that had annoyed me the most with Paul this century. Sadly his deteriorating singing voice has put them both to shame.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Perhaps he could call it "The Return Of Billy Shears"...

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

....maybe they auto-tuned his speaking voice...???

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...or finally release "Return to Pepperland".

JDeanB and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely get what you are saying; somehow he sounded more comfortable than normal, and as you say, it was like hearing him speaking decades ago, just with an older voice, without any affectations. He may have intentionally dropped any and just spoke directly because of the subject at hand?

JDeanB and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

It may be that he has been(at the time of that interview) recording vocals and this might be his voice after studio warm ups...

8. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

I do remember listening to a radio interview in his promotion for 'chaos' around 2005 when the interviewer remarked how his 'speaking voice' had changed in recent times.McCartney actually appeared to take offence and gave a very churlish denial ...Kind of shocked me at the time as the interviewer was 100% correct.
    Unfortunately the 'singing voice' has become a ghost since then.My only wish is that one day soon he will accept it and stop exposing himself.

Yorick and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Fun tweets tonight from Camp McCartney (and, unusually, they look like they might have actually been typed and posted by the man himself!)

Tweet 1-"This is insane. After having just written two heartfelt pieces about Vera Lynn and Chuck Berry I realise that my driver today... (1/2)"

Tweet 2 - "... is named Dave. This means today was dedicated to Vera, Chuck and Dave (When I’m Sixty Four!)"

:righton:

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What has Paul said about Chuck Berry with regard to Chuck's death?

theMess likes this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

From PaulMcCartney.com -

"Paul on the passing of Chuck Berry: "Chuck Berry sadly passed away over the weekend. He was one of rock 'n' roll's greatest poets. He will be missed but remembered by everyone who ever loved rock 'n' roll.

"From the first minute we heard the great guitar intro to ‘Sweet Little Sixteen’ we became fans of the great Chuck Berry. His stories were more like poems than lyrics – the likes of ‘Johnny B Goode’ or ‘Maybellene’. To us he was a magician making music that was exotic yet normal at the same time. We learnt so many things from him which led us into a dream world of rock ‘n’ roll music.

"Chuck was and is forever more one of rock ‘n’ roll’s greatest legends all over the world. I was privileged to meet him in his home town St Louis when I played there on tour and it’s a memory I will cherish forever. It’s not really possible to sum up what he meant to all us young guys growing up in Liverpool but I can give it a try.

Long live rock ‘n’ roll!

Love you Chuck.
    Paul"

"

Yorick, supermd, nowhereman87 and 5 others like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

I'll answer my own question:

Paul On Chuck Berry

"Chuck Berry sadly passed away over the weekend. He was one of rock 'n' roll's greatest poets. He will be missed but remembered by everyone who ever loved rock 'n' roll.

"From the first minute we heard the great guitar intro to ‘Sweet Little Sixteen’ we became fans of the great Chuck Berry. His stories were more like poems than lyrics – the likes of ‘Johnny B Goode’ or ‘Maybellene’. To us he was a magician making music that was exotic yet normal at the same time. We learnt so many things from him which led us into a dream world of rock ‘n’ roll music.

"Chuck was and is forever more one of rock ‘n’ roll’s greatest legends all over the world. I was privileged to meet him in his home town St Louis when I played there on tour and it’s a memory I will cherish forever. It’s not really possible to sum up what he meant to all us young guys growing up in Liverpool but I can give it a try.

Long live rock ‘n’ roll!

Love you Chuck.
    Paul"

13. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

That's gold!!

ladycat, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  14. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I sent this video to me mum, who turns 80 in 2 months and growing up in London experienced the blitz firsthand. She called me after watching and said she had a good cry and a cup of tea.

PS she loved see Paul in the BBC special.

klaatuhf, Johnny Reb, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Lovely! I imagine that no matter how moving it is to me, it must be even more so for her. I am so pleased to see Paul and Barry Humphries pay such lovely tributes to Dame Vera, a true living legend.

klaatuhf, Johnny Reb and MerseyBeatle like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

First he mentions "When I'm 64". And now, in a Daily Mail interview with Paul for the Flowers In The Dirt reissue, he mentions "It's Getting Better" and "She's Leaving Home".

"Because John and I had such a successful collaboration and all the work we did was when we were young, often your first output like that can be your best," he said. "I wouldn't say it worries me, or I wouldn't continue to write. But I do get the feeling that it would have been very hard to come up to the standards of the ones I wrote with John, like 'It's Getting Better' or 'She's Leaving Home.' "

So it definitely seems that Paul has Sgt Pepper on his brain as of late. And why? Because that 50th anniversary set for Sgt Pepper is on the way (relatively soon).

mrjinks, theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

His old self as in his young self or his old self as in his old self?

theMess likes this.
  18. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Lets say 1987 - 2000 "old self"

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Didn't someone say Paul was thinking about some sort of throat surgery that another artist got that made him sound much younger. Anyone know what I'm talking about, because I obviously don't.

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I believe that Elton John and Roger Daltry have both had a throat procedure done that has allegedly made their voices sound younger. I don't think Paul has publicly mentioned considering this, but I know I've seen people in these threads beg him to do it.

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Like... 2014 old self, in other words not breaking his voice during every sentence as if he has to clear his throat like last year, but there's still the tired-sounding slur. It's what it is, almost 75 years old.

2012, 5 years ago already. ^

Paul McCartney - "What's it like being back in Japan?" LINE Sticker Q&A

Mid-2015 ^

Paul McCartney Reveals Why the Beatles Really Broke Up

Mid-2016 ^

ポール・マッカートニー ワン・オン・ワン ジャパン・ツアー2017 日本武道館公演決定!

Early 2017 ^

Paul McCartney - Interview with Jools Holland (2007) -HD-

Still not close to even 2007 ^

theMess and Yorick like this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hey @mrjinks , I just stumbled across this bit of fun for the first time tonight so I thought I'd pass it along for the others here who might not have heard it .

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    theMess, eroz, Johnny Reb and 5 others like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

MsMaclen and theMess like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This isn't current or news, but I was just thinking about how Helen Wheels has to be one of the few a-sides that Paul never played live. And then I figured, why not make a list. Also, today I learned that Paul HAS in fact played Mary Had A Little Lamb live. Also, I'm only counting US and UK singles. And no Country Hams or Fireman are being counted.

1. Uncle Albert
    2. The Back Seat Of My Car
    3. Helen Wheels
    4. With A Little Luck (but rehearsed for Japan!)
    5. London Town
    6. Waterfalls
    7. Take It Away
    8. Tug Of War
    9. The Girl Is Mine
    10. Say Say Say
    11. Pipes Of Peace
    12. No MOre Lonely Nights
    13. We All Stand Together
    14. Spies Like Us
    15. Press
    16. Pretty Little Head
    17. Stranglehold
    18. Once Upon A Long Ago
    19. The World Tonight
    20. Beautiful Night
    21. Young Boy
    22. Tropic Island Hum
    23. Ever Present Past

Obviously, no touring in the 80's meant those songs wouldn't get played live. Helen Wheels is a headscratcher, especially since it was a single only in the UK. Ever Present Past is also baffling. Such a great pop rocker, and yet he chose fluff like Nod Your Head to play live instead.

Tord, MsMaclen, theMess and 2 others like this.
  25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

/\ I would go to a Paul concert with thst setlist!