Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I gave up on keeping the separate threads on-topic, but this definitely suits the thread: I attended a "masterclass" by McCartney's sound man Paul 'Pab' Boothroyd in Melbourne, Australia last December, and this is the full video:

I checked it (I made my own recording), and not a second was cut out, while he did say a few things "off the record" (nothing too juicy though). He's less diplomatic than McCartney's band members (although I believe this edit is censored for curse words... fookin' Australians), but still obviously is promoting his boss. 26:10 though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    theMess, whisper3978, Yorick and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnny the Fox

Johnny the Fox hot to hustle

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

From The Guardian: a Liam Gallagher interview where, at the end, he's asked to respond to reader's questions:

Have you ever asked for a selfie or autograph, or been so starstruck that you have been lost for words?
    Alan Gregory, Stockport

“I asked Paul McCartney to sign a programme once, but it wasn’t for me, it was for the headteacher at my kid’s school. It was his 60th, he was a massive Beatle-head and a massive music-head. It was backstage at the Royal Albert Hall. Obviously, I always bang on about Lennon and that, but I was starstruck when I first met McCartney. Starstruck when I met Ringo as well. He was the first Beatle I ever met. Ringo’s a dude, man.”

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And all this time I thought Ringo was a lady... ;)

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

This doesn't warrant a thread of its own, and apologies it's not even news! But a question I have...

Does anyone know whether the versions of C Moon and Mull Of Kintyre on the CD single of The Long And Winding Road (here - Paul McCartney - The Long And Winding Road ) are the same versions/edits that appear on the 1990 All My Trials CD singles?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I believe that is the case.

I can't say I'm 100% sure, because I don't have both of them.. but I would say with 95% certainty they are the same. [Until someone here points out that I'm wrong... :nyah: ]

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Both wrong. Ringo is a man, dude.^^

theMess, Mr. Explorer and JDeanB like this.
  8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

And of course, from last year, the classic Margaritas story:

“I’ve met him a few times he’s been absolutely a dream. The last time was at the Royal Albert Hall. He goes, ‘Why are you always in a rush? Sit down, sit down’. I sit down and he goes, ‘Do you like margaritas?’ I said, ‘Yeah, but I had something before I come out, I don’t eat at this time of night’. He said, ‘They’re fookin’ drinks, you stupid prickk’. I thought he was offering me a pizza.”

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure he's a ladies' man.

theMess and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Exact same timings on my copies - please don’t make me listen to C Moon to verify...

11. Arnold Grove

[​IMG]

12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

13. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Sometimes being famous is so difficult. :D;)

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

[​IMG]

theMess and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Awesome pic. You can hardly see the bruises.

Yorick likes this.
  17. PaperbackBroadstreet

Good old Peter Sellers.

theMess and Beaneydave like this.
  18. PaperbackBroadstreet

Weren’t both Alice Cooper and Tom Seleck also in this movie?

19. Arnold Grove

Not sure about Tom Selleck, as it was from the late 1970s (and I'm not sure if Selleck was around yet).

Sextette is a 1978 American comedy/musical motion picture starring Mae West. Other actors in the cast included Timothy Dalton, Dom DeLuise, Tony Curtis, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, George Hamilton, Alice Cooper and Walter Pidgeon.

[​IMG]

theMess and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hey, any musical with Dom Delouise, Keith Moon, and Alice Cooper can't be bad... wait... no... :help:

21. In an email I received from Wired magazine, one of the subject titles was "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls". (It was just to enter some contest. No real content.) Did Paul originate the phrase? Or was he quoting something I'm unaware of?

theMess likes this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

McCartney sings "don't go jumping waterfalls" and "don't go chasing polar bears." The precise phrase "don't go chasing waterfalls" is from TLC's 1995 hit, also called "Waterfalls."

Paul noticed the similarity:

AVC: Are there any songs of yours that you think deserved to be bigger than they were?

PM: There's quite a few, actually. I like… There's one called "Daytime Nighttime Suffering," which I think's really cool. One called "Waterfalls," I think is nice. In fact, somebody had a hit, a few years ago, using the first line, "Don't go jumping waterfalls / Please stick to the lake…" And then they go off into another song. It's like, "Excuse me?"

AVC: TLC ripped off Paul McCartney? I had no idea!

PM: I think so.​

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I thought so...at the time.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

Could have been Myra Breckinridge that I was thinking of. I have not seen either film.

25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

So did I and wrongly assumed he had a writing credit.