"Cursed" bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

It seems there are a few groups out there that are cursed, in a sense. Reading the Jim Gordon thread, look what has happened to members of Derek and the Dominoes.
    Eric Clapton has been through a lot, as we know.
    Jim Gordon's case is being discussed.
    Duane Allman died the year after the sessions.
    Carl Radle died in 1980.

Then we have the Temptations. Of the core 1964-68 group, only one member is alive- Otis Wiliams.

Two members of the original Beach Boys died young. A few of the Ramones have died. Key members of Lynyrd Skynyrd died in that '77 plane crash, and another died later on.
    Are there other groups that have similarly suffered?

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They're no more "cursed" than any family I know. People die.

The Temptations are friggin 10000 years old man!:confused:

Matheusms and zen like this.
  3. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Badfinger is the first one that pops into mind. I don't know the whole story myself, but from what little I've heard, if ever a band were cursed...

BeSteVenn, JL7, bunglejerry and 6 others like this.
  4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Two suicides by hanging -- one died in his sleep. Cursed to say the least.

Sean, Aftermath and nbakid2000 like this.
  5. rockarolla

rockarolla Forum Resident

Yeah, when I first read about what happened to them, I thought it was BS because I was reading it from a not-so-reliable source. But I guess it's true.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Beatles....two dead...manager dead .....road manager dead.....prez of lable dead....MY GOD man.....CURSED!:cheers:

(non serious post alert!)

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

There won't be a better example than this. Everyone dies eventually, some sooner than others. Badfinger endured slings and arrows that were indeed almost unbelievable -- all while still alive and functioning as a band.

It should never happen to anyone, but most especially not to a band as talented as they were. And the greatest tragedy is their most talented member, Pete Ham, was by all accounts a sensitive soul, and just a great guy all around.

To have just put out the best album of your career, to see it begin an encouraging rise up the charts, and then to have the rug completely pulled out from beneath you...after everything else you've already gone through up to that point...

"...your long-time curse hurts, but what's worse...."

8. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Not to mention BAD remixed CD versions :D

9. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

The Allman Brothers Band and their serial motorcycle accidents, IIRC.

Or, for cursed musical families, how about the Buckleys?

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  10. rockarolla

How about the Rolling Stones?

The death of Brian, various drug busts, Altamont, the 1972 Rhode Island incident, Keith falling off that ladder at his house, etc.

11. Joel1963

Naw, but those guys died pretty young. I'm referring to Eddie Kendricks (cancer), David Ruffin (OD), Paul Wiliams (suicide) and Melvin Franklin (brain seizure), the classic 1964-68 line-up. Otis Williams is the only one left alive.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

It's been said being a keyboard player for the Grateful Dead is not a key to a long life - Pigpen, Keith Godchaux, Brent Mydland, and Vince Welnick all died before their time. TC is still with us though.

13. Joel1963

As well as the death of Ian Stewart, the rape of Bill Wyman's wife (girlfriend?) in Jamaica, the deterioration and premature death of producer Jimmy Miller, Ron Wood's current problems.

What was the Rhode Island incident?

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What was that? Doesn't ring a bell.

15. dkmonroe

That was Anita Pallenberg, Keith's not-officially-wife.

16. rockarolla

I'm quoting this from: http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=68

17. dkmonroe

18. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Def Leppard has been called the most blessed and cursed bands..they lost one member ("Steamin' Steve Clark) to Alchohol Poisoning and nearly lost Rick Allen to a accident (And he lost an arm because of this). Michael Boyce

driverdrummer and nightstand68 like this.
  19. Joel1963

Didn't know about Anita, which I now see happened in a jail cell. The one I heard about was Wyman's wife Astrid Lundstrom. While the incident was taking place, Wyman hid under the bed.

20. Joel1963

There's also the Who:

Keith Moon died young, John Entwistle died relatively young, Pete Townshend almost died young in the early 1980s from drug abuse, manager Kit Lambert died young.

21. mr_mjb1960

Stone the Crows..their guitarist was electrocuted on stage during a performance..they were one of the most promising bands at the time..sad ending. Another band was Sweetwater.their singer Nancy Neville was in a acccident and lost much of her voice..she never recovered fully.:shake: Michael Boyce

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well it's not about a band, but the legend of Robert Johnson is a great reading, like a good horror story.

Interestingly enough, Robert Johnson died at the age of twenty-seven at some crossroads in Mississippi.

23. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The Temptations succumbed to Temptations:
    David Ruffin:Crack O.D.
    Eddie Kendrick:Emphysema from smoking
    Paul Williams:Self-inflicted gunshot to the brain
    Melvin Franklin:Arthritis & diabetic-related heart problems*

* When Franklin was diagnosed with arthritis in the 1960's, he asked doctors if there was any injection they could give him to numb the pain from arthritis, so he could continue to perform and do his dance steps with The Temptations. The doctor said "Yes, but it will catch up with you later on". Franklin chose to take the injections ,and he was able to perform for another 27 years, but he lived his last 2 years in a wheelchair.

24. mr_mjb1960

The made-for-TV movie "The Temptations" brought that story to the small screen..I think it's the best Psyudo-Bios around!:righton: Michael Boyce

25. Joel1963

I watched the last half, it is very good! And very sad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.