Daisy and Violet Hilton, the joined twins from Tod Browning's "FREAKS" movie..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I've seen Freaks a few times and the last time I saw it on TV it had an added ending I'd never seen before. Freda and two of the other central characters come to visit Hans...

What's the real ending?

Does anyone know the story behind this? (I always assumed it ended with the "chicken lady" scene showing the audience what the "freaks" had done to her) (ie. made her one of them)

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

If this is true, it's very disturbing. Imagine waking up to find your other half dead and even try to attempt to move yourself as well as your dead twins dead weight. The numerous affairs would be weird as well in their situation. How does that work? One reads a book while the other does the deed. Sad stuff nonetheless for these people.

5. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Yes, it's a terrible thought to imagine one of them dying. I guess this is something they accepted and expected from a young age, perhaps came to terms with. Still, it must have been quite awful for Violet to see her sister pass away. They both had a morbid fear of doctors after being subject to rough, insensitive exams when they were young. That may have been one reason for laying low after Daisy passed but there was no way Violet could have been saved, so what motivation would she have to do anything at all?

I got Chained For Life from Netflix today and watched it this evening. It's a pretty awful film, and the audio and video quality of the DVD were about the worst I've ever seen. It was sort of interesting to watch them, and they sang a few songs. They definitely were skilled musicians and were probably the best actors in the film, which isn't saying much. If you're interested in their lives, I guess the film is worth watching. (Not exactly a glowing review... :sigh:)

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey -- "butcher"... "castration"... interesting play on words.

I really don't want to see a castration scene on film. I worked on the mastering of Last House on the Left, and that scene made me wince so much, I shut the monitor off and just color-corrected with scopes. Couldn't watch it. Nobody cared or noticed -- Wes Craven later commented he thought the movie looked fine.

Oh, trust me -- I've had worse days.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There's some info on him on Find A Death:

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/s/shlitze/shlitze.htm

8. Sad story.

9. I saw this film the first time about 40 years ago and thought it was terrific but certainly understand it isn't for everyone. I didn't know the Hilton twins' story and at least one positive is the legal system working properly to free them from that awful situation, maybe the award wasn't large enough but it must have made their lives so much better.

10. sedandelivery

sedandelivery Member

Innarresting read thanks for posting that.I just hope that there is a special place in hell for the folks who mistreated/abused or otherwise hurt them.What a way to start the day- :sigh:-I know,I know,,I did'nt have to read the thread.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Anyone interested in the story of the Hilton Sisters should check out a new documentary called "Bound by Flesh" on Netflix. It is utterly fascinating, thorough and heartbreaking in equal doses.

Mark Nelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.