Damn Yankees(The Group)-Were They Really That Bad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ Phoenix, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member Thread Starter

I've been listening to some friends bitching about how bad the DY's were, I thought their first disc was excellent. Talk about Supergroups, we could probably throw them in the mix for best Supergroup. I saw them for their first record, they kicked ***. Every so often, I'll read all these "critics" who trash the record, yet, as I said, I've always enjoyed the record. Then again, I've always enjoyed Night Ranger's stuff, so thats probably why I dig DY's.

Anyone else dig these guys?

MikeInFla and ShawnX like this.
  2. No, they were pretty good. Their album cuts were generally superior to the singles, though.

stodgers and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Never could stand them but like you, really like a lot of Night Rangers stuff and I liked Styx as well. Weird I know. Makes no sense to me either!

stodgers and Biscuit Warehouse like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Chances are, they are trashing the style of music, not the band itself.

That first album has some great songs on it. IMO, Jack Blades really helped resurrect the careers of both Shaw and Nugent.

impalaboy, stodgers and longaway like this.
  5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Saw them in 94 when I was in the Corps. The MWR put on a helluva show, all free. Drivin and Cryin, Damn Yankees, Joe Walsh and Lynyrd Skynyrd. What a night

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. DJ Phoenix

This. Think so too. Like I said, i saw them when the record came out, and Blades was great. I've seen Night Ranger too(at their peak), and Blades is great. Loved the dual vocals from Blades/Shaw on "High Enough". I remember the crowd going apes$%* when they played that song.

7. Which I'll never understand . . .

dadonred likes this.
  8. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident

I think they really were that bad or even worse but, so what. Listen to what you like

sandmountainslim1 and DrBeatle like this.
  9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I like them. Great 1st album.

Pat

10. DJ Phoenix

Why? It's a bad a$$ song. They did some Night Ranger stuff that night. That first DY's disc was excellent, try to give it another listen? Worst case scenerio: You may end up liking it.:righton:

11. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes, they were that bad.

redsock, CupOfDreams and DrBeatle like this.
  12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

High Enough = they're alright in my book ;)

mark renard likes this.
  13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

bagofsoup likes this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I got sick of that song, but there are many others I still like.

Unfortunately, Damn Yankees was doomed. Guns N' Roses and Metallica were already changing the landscape and Nirvana was on the horizon. On top of that, Nugent got a lot of criticism for (yet, again) selling out. That style of rock was just on its way out.

The drummer got the gig with Lynyrd Skynyrd and the other three went back to their respective gigs, so it's all good.

15. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

That's got to be it. The monster ballad has been passe for a long time now (unless it's sticking around in country music). It's unlikely to be the band itself: are people really going to expend the energy to trash a band that had two hits? (To praise them, sure, but not to bury them!)

Although I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't know that "High Enough" and "Where You Goin' Now" were two different songs until I looked them up on Wikipedia to see how many hits they had had.

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Liked Damn Yankees, especially the first album and tour. Looked like they were having fun. So much in fact, when I saw them - they were cursing after every song like a bunch of drunken sailors. I expected as much from Nugent, but Blades and Shaw? Hmmm.........

From time to time, Shaw will throw in a DY song or two in the Styx set. Usually Coming Of Age and/or High Enough.

17. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Tonight they were. They got eliminated from the playoffs. Oh, you mean those Damn Yankees.

Sean and JoeF. like this.
  18. DJ Phoenix

As a die hard Detroit fan, that was nice to see.:righton:

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I liked both of the DY albums. Too bad the 3rd album never saw the light of day and probably never will. :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Rhett likes this.
  21. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I like both Damn Yankees albums, but they sound like holdovers from the '80s. The Ron Nevison productions -- super clean, all digital, totally professional -- are relatively easy on the ears, thanks in part to the smooth, unobtrusive mastering preferences of the time. I also think Blades and Shaw made a good singing and songwriting team. But by the time Don't Tread came out in 1992, the majority of the listening public had moved on from the arena rock sound, although the album apparently went gold. It must still have some kind of audience, though, because Collectables reissued it after Warner Bros. allowed it to go out of print.

By the way, what non-LP tracks made it out? There's "Bonestripper," which I haven't heard and seems available only on MP3 at the present. What else is there from the period of the two released albums?

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Yes.

Sean likes this.
  23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I like Damn Yankees, especially the first album.

24. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

They were a strange act in a way. The singles were mostly the lush power ballads of the era, but then on stage you had Nugent still doing some of his schtick - ie: I remember seeing them and Ted was shooting his bow and arrow at a roving cardboard cut out of Saddam Hussein. I recall them doing NRs "You Can Still Rock In America" and I believe Tommy did "Renegade."

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sums it up well! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.