Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Season 2 is coming out on blu-ray in the UK and Australia on May 15th. No word on a US date yet but I would expect it by the end of June.

melstapler and Lonson like this.
  2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I thought Elodie Yung was very good as Elektra myself but at the end of the day - diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks... ;)

wavethatflag, Tree of Life and Lonson like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too. Daredevil the comic came to life for me back in the 'seventies when the Elektra saga began, she is the greatest Frank Miller character created imo. Ms Yung has the sophistication necessary to pull this character off, and her martial arts training makes her action scenes a bit more realistic than they might be.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Defenders looks like a dud.

melstapler likes this.
  5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I saw Season 1 available on Bluray at JB HiFi a while back, and I didn't feel interested in picking it up as I found there was no supplementary material to accompany the episodes. Seemed a little cheap if you ask me. :(

6. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I don't think a single frame of it has been seen yet - though I suppose if you hate the characters in their own series, there won't be much value in seeing them together.
    The opposite is the case for me.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked the first season of Daredevil and enjoyed Jessica Jones a lot. I didn't watch much of Luke Cage because it didn't interest me. Iron Fist looks 'meh'.

8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Honestly, I'd rather see Daredevil separately. From the numerous comics and takes on Daredevil, there are countless story possibilities without having to include the other two characters.

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Actually 3 characters. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. Although it is easy to understand forgetting Iron Fist ;-)

melstapler likes this.
  10. Lonson

Blu-ray for Season 2 is out. As I have had it on DVD a while I'm going to wait for a lower price.

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I used to read the Power Man comics and still enjoy the Luke Cage character, but Iron Fist and Jessica Jones are very forgettable and seem disposable. I say kill them off and bring in The Punisher for good measure.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I really enjoyed Jessica Jones. The subject matter was very thoughtful. PTSD, feminism, for example.
    Luke Cage was the same. Subject matter was relevant to today's world issues.

Iron Fist was very blah though I really liked Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Loved John Byrne's Iron Fist comics back in the day, the show did not pull it off for me. Finished Daredevel on Netflix and loved it. Kingpin is awesome (he beat Captain America in hand to hand combat in the comics).

14. Lonson

I'm re-watching Daredevil Seasons 1 and 2 on US Blu-ray sets. Wow. Better this second time around for 1 and third time around for 2.

Sure hope that Luke Cage and Power Man and Defenders eventually come out on disc. I'm still not streaming any services and don't want to start.

15. They will I'm sure as there is still a market for the shows but there will be a delay as there were with the first and second season of DD, and JJ. They will probably get an overseas release before here though as that has been the case with both.

Lonson likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The recent Defenders series continues the unresolved plot line of Daredevil season 2 with the giant hole drilled deep into the ground under a large skyscraper by evil agents of The Hand. All is revealed, and there's a surprise involving Daredevil himself.

I liked but didn't love the show -- I think it's not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but it does have moments.

Lonson likes this.
  17. Miles better than The Iron Fist though!

beercanchicken likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought The Defenders was near unwatchable. I was really disappointed with it.

19. I didn't find it that way at all. Less compelling and watchable than Daredevil or Jessica Jones (the two best Marvel shows on Netflix). Luke Cage was pretty good as well but Iron Fist player like a bad soap opera IMHO. The adefneders did take a little too long to get the group together and I can think of a half a dozen better ways to bring them together more quickly. My major issue was it seemed like most of the series was treading water compared to the first, second season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones first season.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Shawn and GodShifter like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it was variable and inconsistent. Some episodes were terrific, some (particularly those mainly about Iron Fist) were boring and/or terrible. The ending kinda petered out, too. But it did have some good moments here and there. At least they only kept it to 8 episodes -- 12 would've been awful.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's funny how in the 'early' days of streaming with the adoption of much shorter seasons, the chief defense was that with a much shorter episode run per season, you would avoid all the fat or filler that usually comes with 20+ eps per season.

In general, I think it's a fair argument, but not for these Netflix superhero shows. I've had no interest in watching The Defenders, but it's interesting that you say that even with an 8 ep season that it dragged. That's just unfathomable. I've seen the other shows (Daredevil S1 & 2, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage) and, with the possible exception of DD S1, they all dragged with several filler episodes in each season. I have commented at the time of each show that they all suffered from the fact that there simply wasn't enough story to go the distance, even with these much shorter seasons.

I don't know why that seems to be the case in particular with Netflix Marvel shows...

GodShifter likes this.
  22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Re: Iron Fist. The show could have been so much better if they had a better showrunner. Scott Buck was clearly the wrong person for the job, and it's also becoming apparent with The Inhumans as well. At least a new showrunner for Season 2 has been chosen, so I do believe Iron Fist can only improve. Thought he was better in The Defenders though.

23. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I recently watched all of them + Defenders. I think all of the individual series were too long but, man, Iron Fist was brutal. I'm sure the actor who played Danny gets most of flack but I agree, the showrunner really ruined it. the story was all over the place, the fight scenes were always kind of blocked out by a pillar or something; it was a bizarre experience.

24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I think that the Elektra character was particularly well-written & acted. Complex, and the highlight of the "Defenders" first season, imo.

Jessica Jones cracks me up too. Clearly she & Luke still have some, um..er... "unresolved business". ;)

Yes, Fin Jones was far better suited for his GOT character "Loras", rather than Daniel Rand.

Lonson likes this.
  25. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Man, you guys are harsh on Iron Fist. It was my favorite of the 4 (watched it when it came out and before the other 3). I usually go against the grain though, so it's not surprising. And since this thread is about Daredevil, that was my 2nd favorite and also the 2nd in the series that I watched. Very entertaining and good all-around acting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.