Dave Clark 5 - "Glad All Over Again" LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe Koz, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Unc, I agree with everything you've said. I think my "feelings" come from the fact that when I was a teen I KNEW who Mike Smith was and who Denis Payton, Lenny Davidson, Rick Huxley were. They were like "gods" to us. We all thought they not only lived close to each other but hung out together and, most of all, where rich. When these ideas are planted at an early age they just seem to hang on forever. As we age we learn the reality of things and find out that the touring, etc is not as glamorous as we thought it was and that, after all, most of them (unless they were very wise) are not rich. Dylan's probably a good example. He loves to tour and doesn't need the money. I'm not sure where Mike Smith fits in. Is he touring because he wants to or because he needs to? I guess that's not really important but those "things" we saw when we were young (like these guys playing arenas and things "being a certain way" die hard. It blows my mind that I could go to a place like Borders and see a guy like Ray Davies hawking his book and playing a few tunes for like 100 people.

mud-

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Ed,
    Well I'm still searching record stores and GEMM site. Also I have been checking ebay. Found a couple of "The Best of the Dave Clark Five". Was this album only a UK release? I found this copy of Dave Clark Five "Glad All Over Again" cd, but I don't think this is right. Here's the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2552619846&category=1573. Haven't seen "The Dave Clark Five" Epic EG 30434 lp. I'll keep on searching

David

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

4. David P. Hill

Mudbone,
    Did you notice that "Glad All Over Again" cd had 35 songs and the one Ed mention (EMI CDEMTV75 UK) had 26 tracks and two B-sides songs, "Good Time woman" and "Forget"?
    Is the US cd issue differ than UK on the song count plus those missing songs?

David

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

David, it's somewhat deceptive. There are 35 songs but only 26 tracks due to medleys!

I'm off to see Mike Smith in 5 minutes.

mud-:D

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Hope you're having a great time, Mud ol' buddy...we await your review!:thumbsup:

A lot of things are deceptive, David...after sunning myself on the sun deck most of the afternoon, came back in, had dinner, and decided to pull out some DC5 reissue vinyl. One of them is #8 in a vast series from Spain titled HISTORIA DE LA MUSICA ROCK, for the DC5 Polydor 28 61 293. I remember this one more for its cover, since some dumbbell used a photo not of the DC5 but Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich!:laugh: :laugh: That had to be pointed out to me not long after I bought it, hadn't even noticed...and no, the two bands don't look alike!:D

Anyway....what's surprising here is the clean mono sound....prevailing wisdom--and Clark himself--would have you believe the 1st gen masters were squirreled away until 1993 and the UK and US CD's...well, all I can say is, for 2nd gen tapes this album sounds pretty damn good....too good, in fact. But very obviously better than any US mono Epic Lp, and it makes me wonder if someone at CBS didn't doctor those tapes they got from Columbia UK way back when....the sound on this Lp lacks the grunge I had expected to hear....I've got a few more to go thru before the night is out, imports, and who knows what they sound like, it's been a long, long time.

ED:cool:

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam Thread Starter

ED,
    I own that record as well. Bought years ago (and I did notice the cover) the sound on that is surprisingly good. And, yes Epic did fiddle around with the tapes they received from England. :D

8. Ed Bishop

For anyone interested, all the biggies we love are mono; the only stereo cuts are UK crap like "Live In The Sky," "Red Balloon" and "Put A Little Love In Your Heart." What a choice: Jackie DeShannon's original, or DC5's stilted version....hard call there!:D

But as Joe says, sound is a lot better than you'd expect....still got another on tap, but for the moment derailed by LED ZEP IV, the unfutzed Japan CD....and gotta remember that VH-1 Zevon special at 10 EST....I'll kill myself if I miss that one....the new CD is Tuesday, can hardly wait to hear it....

9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

If you go here, http://wfuv.com/ click the WFUV Archives (9 bars down) on the left side then search on Mike Smith. There is an interview/performance from May 03'. Enjoy.

Edit: Well worth listening to this 1-hr interview. Songlist is:
    Glad All Over (check out the intro)
    Any Way You Want It
    Because (live)
    Try to Hard
    I really Didn't Know You

All in mono unfortunately.

10. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Wow. Just listened to it. That was wonderful. Thanks for the link!

11. Joe Koz

Thanks for the link, John. Mike Smith sounded great, good interview too!

12. David P. Hill

Ed or Koz,
    Here is the "Glad All Over Again" cd(EMI CDEMTV75) that you have mentioned: It does not have the two b-sides "Food Time Woman" & "Forgot" like the album.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2552619846&category=1573-track listings on this cd

"Glad All Over Again" lp? Catalogue numbers? Get this one or one above????
    EPIC has actually released a couple different double-album compilations. One is "Glad All Over Again", which has 18 of the hits, plus two hard-to-find "b"-sides: "Good Time Woman" and "Forget". The other is a collection of Clark-Smith compositions in true stereo. (Reviewed below by Len Costello) Track listings:
    Glad All Over / Bits And Pieces / Can't You See That She's Mine / Catch Us If You Can / Because /// Any Way You Want It / Try Too Hard / At the Scene / Everybody Knows (I Still Love You / Come Home /// Do You Love Me / Reelin' And Rockin' / I Like It Like That / Over And Over / You Got What It Takes /// Nineteen Days / Good Time Woman / Forget / I've Got to Have a Reason / Here Comes Summer. Have not seen this one either.

The Big White Letters album-Dave Clark Five" lp Epic EG 30434
    Glad All Over / Can't You See That She's Mine / I Need Love / Good Love Is Hard to Find / Try Too Hard /// Because / Til the Right One Comes Along / Whenever You're Around / Remember It's Me / When I'm Alone /// Having a Wild Weekend / Sitting Here Baby / Concentration Baby / Please Tell Me Why / Inside And Out /// Come Home / I'll Be Yours My Love / Forever And a Day / Bernadette / Hurting Inside. Still have not seen this yet for sale.

13. Ed Bishop

David,

I think the confusion comes from the fact there is a 1970's US comp titled GLAD ALL OVER AGAIN, and then a 2-Lp import version with the same title but based on the 1993 reissue CD, with the altered track listing(for the most part, no loss, really).

$75 and 'ultra rare,' huh? Shouldn't be all that rare, but, with both '93 collections out of print, no surprise it'll fetch a higher tag, I suppose. I didn't buy the vinyl edition, but odds are it's mostly mono, maybe has "You Got What It Takes" in stereo like the CD....wouldn't mind picking it up for a reasonable price, though...

The one Costello reviews is the 1971 full stereo Epic 2-Lp set, and does turn up every so often. Well worth having for stereo fanatics!

14. Joe Koz

15. dschuell

dschuell Forum Resident

On the "Glad All Over Again" cd(EMI CDEMTV75) the only stereo tracks are You Got What It Takes and I'll Be Yours My Love. Also tracks 19 to 26 are stereo, although they are later material.

16. Joe Koz

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Koz, got a pic or a link to a pic of the cover?

mud-

18. Joe Koz

Mud,
    Here's a picture from e-bay, It's a promo so there's a sticker on it. But you'll get the idea...

"Glad All Over Again"

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Koz, THANKS! I have that and wanted to make sure I did but my lps are just to difficult to get at. Soon that won't be a problem!

20. Joe Koz

Mud,
    You can't see the title "Glad All Over Again" it's above The Dave Clark Five All-Time Greatest Hits.

Oh, I see you got it Mud! :thumbsup:

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Koz, I recognize the cover. That's all I needed!

22. Joe Koz

I've got to get a faster hook up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.