Dave Clark 5 Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guest 4254, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reader

Reader Senior Member

So in answer to the question about "live" Dave Clark Five the only thing that can be confirmed is a performance of "Anyway You Want It" that was semi-live but has been removed from youtube?

I'd bet old Uncle Dave could do up a great documentary with lots of live material if he wanted. Heavens knows why he's not interested. It's almost as if he wants the group's work to be forgotten. Very strange.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Only half of one album (the first), though that was later released in expanded form. Would love to hear live tapes of the classic-era Raiders.

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Only the vocals were live. I've never seen any fully live clips of the 1960's Raiders line-ups.

4. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The 1960's Raiders live recordings(as on Sundazed's "Mojo Workout" 2-CD set) are live in the studio in front of an invited audience. Excepting Dylan(for whom non-Columbia remote recording trucks were hired), Columbia didn't do any live remote recordings of rock music until 1968.

5. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Guys, you should start a thread about the Raiders "live". It doesn't bother me that it is discussed here in a Dave Clark thread but it would be easier to do a search in the future and find the info. I'd like to know more about the Raiders live material myself.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Did Dave confide this to you? I think they chose to lip synk [sic] because they couldn't reproduce the records live, because they didn't play on them (except for Mike).
    But believe what you want.
    The Raiders, on the other hand, were amazing live.

7. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I saw both bands in '66 and they were both GREAT! The Raiders didn't play on their records either (the story goes that Revere phoned the studio during a session and said "how am I doing today?") That's the way it was done in those days, in many cases.

8. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I don't think the DC5 lip-synced (spelling?) any more than any other 60's act on television.

Wasn't that pretty standard for American tv at least. I always thought it was done just because it was easier than trying to set up the equipment and getting the sound right.

I don't know anything about their live concerts but I do think the television work was the standard way of doing it.

9. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

...but like Dave Clark, Paul Revere built his public image around the idea that he was a businessman first and a musician second, and like Clark, there have been long-standing questions over, to what extent Revere permitted himself to be replaced by sessionmen in the studio.

There are some who have gone so far as to claim that Revere's involvement in the studio ended after the group's first album "Here They Come". That is blatantly false, but it is undoubtedly true that Revere's involvement in the studio ended when his involvement with the songwriting ended, and that excepting one 1966 B-side(with a rare Revere vocal) which was inserted into the 1967 "Revolution" album, that Revere's final studio involvement was on the 1966 album "The Spirit of '67".

After the Spring 1967 personel shake-up, the new arrangement between Revere & vocalist Mark Lindsay was that Revere would handle business and be the boss of the touring band, and that Lindsay would make the records with whatever musicians he wanted, whether that meant some or none of the other Raiders.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

...Though I believe that the later Raiders (Freddie Weller, Keith Allison, Joe Correro) all played on the albums. And Paul at least made a speaking appearance on "Hard & Heavy With Marshmallow."

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

What he said. I saw them both live, too, and Dave Clark couldn't keep time in a watch store. When Dave releases a DC5 live album comparable to the Raiders' Sundazed one, let me know.

12. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I think it was often up to the bands. Gerry and the Pacemakers always played live.

13. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree. I was 18 and a drummer in a band. The DC5 rocked hard and steady, the patented snare rolls were like the records. He was solid and on time, if nothing else. That was his role. There's no way they would have toured if they couldn't drive like their records. They were nothing if not rhythmic.

14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

thanks! definitely one of the best items in my collection. never seen any other stuff from this show.

15. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

On "Hard & Heavy(with Marshmallows)" the Raiders resumed working like a real band in the studio, but with Keith Allison & Mark Lindsay providing the keyboard playing on songs that they wrote.

After the Spring '67 personel shake-up, they released 3 albums with very little participation from anyone other than Lindsay. The 3 new members(Charlie Coe, Joe Jr. Corerro & Freddie Weller) joined too late to participate in the "Revolution" album, and "A Christmas Past & Present" & "Goin' to Memphis" were largely played by sessionmen. The producer of "Goin' to Memphis" only wanted to make a Lindsay solo album with Memphis sessionmen(though one Terry Melcher-produced track with POSSIBLE Raiders involvement was inserted into the album). The instruments on "Revolution" are(excepting the 1966 B-side included) by Ry Cooder, Jerry Kole, Drake Levin, Terry Melcher, Jim Gordon & Hal Blaine.

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

He was a great businessman. Period. He was as much of a musician as Don Kirschner.
    Tell me about all of the great songs he wrote after taking co-writing credit for EVERY DC5 group composition. Or all of the solo albums and sessions that he did after the group broke up.
    If the group played on the albums, there are a lot of lying British session musicians. (See previous threads.)
    Like I said, believe what you want.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

So I'm guessing that "Something's Happening" was largely session guys, and
    "Pink Puzz" was a band album?

Also, do you know what kind of songs the Raiders played live, especially during this era? Did they try to reproduce the complex stuff on the albums, or were they still going out and doing "Louie Louie"?

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I saw the Raiders live in September 1966, and they did their then- current singles and album tracks, plus some oldies from their bar days. Sounded good to me.
    Try the live Sundazed album, though- it's great. Their live sound before they sanded it down and brought in the Wrecking Crew.

http://www.sundazed.com/product_info.php?products_id=212

19. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Right, and Hal Blaine is definetly the drummer on "Indian Reservation", the last big hit.

20. RetroSmith

Bill:

Thats a little harsh. The truth is that DC COULD play drums, he played on all the tours (of which there were many from '64-'66) and there is video of him playing in the studio (I think is of "I Need Love" ) and its plain to see he knows what hes doing. If youre not a drummer you may not be the best judge of that.

The main reason he used session guys on the DC5 records was NOT that they couldnt play, it was that he wanted the highest standard of quality on those records, and he got it. Lets not go around saying "He was just a businessman, period" because its just not true.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Think he co-wrote all the songs?

22. RetroSmith

I think he co-wrote some of them , yes. Drummers can co-write songs, you know. :)

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

According to the album credits, he wrote or co-wrote EVERY group composition: http://www.theboltons.net/DC5writers.htm.
    Quite a musician.:edthumbs:

24. RetroSmith

Hey, The Beatles did the same thing, the songs say 'Lennon/Mcartney" even if only one of the wrote it, like "Yesterday".

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Name me one song he wrote after the group broke up. As prolific as he was during 1963-69, surely he came up with a few toe-tappers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.