Dave Davies vs. Mike Love: Who's the better songwriter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alcoholic, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikefromlongisla

mikefromlongisla Active Member

And I'm sure it was then, The Fists started flying ! Justifiably so, if you were playing second fiddle, literally, to a Ray Davies, back then.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

There is no question Dave Davies is the better songwriter

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't get it.

Dave Davies is a great dude with awesome Rhythm and Blues roots and someone who can pound out good rock and roll inspired tunes, and yet some people here thing Mike Love is better.

To me, at least, Mike Love is whiter than Pat Boone when it comes to music, and it's extremely hard to get any worse than Pat Boone in that department.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't get that you don't get how great the Beach Boys were.

(The Kinks were really great too.)

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, and Ray used to introduce Dave onstage as "Mr Dave 'Death of a Clown' Davies" way into the 1980s, which riled Dave somewhat. Dave's contributions to Kinks songs, apart from his guitar playing and singing, apparently indicates more of a co-write status on several well-known tracks, but he didn't push for it at the time.

6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

you are correct and i was remiss....what i meant to say is that i just don't like them very much.....of course they were important etc....

7. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Actually Mike's love of black Doo Wop bass singing and Chuck Berry's lyrical style was an intregal part of the Beach Boys sound.

kozy814 and nikh33 like this.
  8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

This I can agree with.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I also agree. You may not like Mike Love's attitude (I sure don't). But you don't continue on as he has without having had a lasting profound impact. This guy is the real thing, jerkness and all.

nikh33 and mikefromlongisla like this.
  10. mikefromlongisla

You would like this.

Uncut Interview with Mike Love on Inside Entertainment with Barry Blake

Published on Jul 16, 2012
    Recently discovered Uncut Interview with Mike Love of the Beach Boys from the early to mid 90's. Barry Roskin Blake of Inside Entertainment talks with Mike about some topics Mike had not addressed before. Rare interview.

11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

"How to Become and STAY a Rockstar" By Mike (Rocking the Silver Fox Mullet) Love

12. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Really?

13. mikefromlongisla

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

While I favored Ray over Brian, I voted for Mike here. For me, it was the easier of the two polls: Mike co-wrote a whole series of great songs as well as self-penned others that I enjoy. Aside from a handful of tunes like "Death of a Clown" and "Living on a Thin Line," I can't say the same about Dave's contributions to the Kinks. Sure, he was an important part of the band, but not really in the songwriting department.

15. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

16. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Is it as good as this other unreleased gem?:

[​IMG]

17. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

In case you forgot here is the question I was replying to again;

Name a single song that he wrote by himself that comes even close to anything that Dave has self-penned.

I'd say that Big Sur is more than comfortably close to the bulk of Dave's songs. Not Death of A Clown but then I never said that to begin with. Which Dave didn't self penn anyway. Funny that many of the people that are voting Dave are using the song he wrote with Ray as the main crux of their arguement.

mikefromlongisla likes this.
  18. First Love is much better than Country Love. Even Country Love is better than Looking Back With Love.

19. Bellagio Insider

I'm certain if these had been released, he'd be undoubtedly winning this poll

oldsurferdude and mike's beard like this.
  20. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I haven't heard them but I doubt it would make any differance if they were very good. These polls are strictly popularity contests and M.L. is very unpopular because he sued to get money owed him for co-writing many hit songs including Good Vibrations which many consider the greatest pop rock record. Obviously the voters consider the virtually unknown Death Of A Clown a superier co-write.

starduster likes this.
  21. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

You're cracking me up!

23. Bellagio Insider

There is actually a plethora of unreleased Mike Love albums which would certainly turn the tide in his favor. Just to name a few:

Disco Love (unreleased disco album from the late 70's)
    Puppy Love (his tribute to canines)
    Tough Love (his foray into hip-hop)
    Brotherly Love (tribute to the Wilson brothers)
    Self Love (his tribute to himself and his immeasurable talent and contributions to the music world)

24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I always liked Death of A Clown but Susannah's Still Alive is even better. And Dave wrote it solo.

I had the great pleasure of chatting to him and his wife about those songs and others over a nice long, lesuirely roast beef dinner and a couple of bottles of red wine two years ago at the seaside. Lovely guy.
    Never met Mike Love.

25. mikefromlongisla

An interesting discography for Mike Love..

http://www.beachboys-germany.com/64.html

[​IMG]

DISCO CELEBRATION - CELEBRATION (EP) on ADC# LS-4052
    This is a rare private disco EP out Hollywood California produced by Mike Love, Ron Altbach, Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)
    Tracks: Disco Celebration, You can count on love, California girls, Party girl, First Love

http://www.popsike.com/DISCO-CELEBRATION-CELEBRATION-RARE-MIKE-LOVE-DISCO/130562484574.html

Another son (Beach Boys)
    Tracks: Disco Celebration, You can count on love, California girls, Party girl, First Love

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.