Dave Mason Alone Together best mastering and sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgearhart, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Never heard my version. Never got a copy of it. LOVE the MoFi version. Sounded just like I remembered the tape sounding, warm and inviting. Can't comment on the one I did. Never heard the damn thing even once but the MoFi is a sure winner.

And besides, the MCA might have been remastered any number of times. How would you know you were getting mine? My work was uncredited..

ultron9 likes this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I wondered that too but was too chicken to ask! :hide:

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Looks as if the original MCA is still readily available for those that want to check it out. The Ultradisc is fantastic, it will suffice.

ultron9 and Blue Collar Man like this.
  4. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi Steve. I am quite sure that what I have is your mastering, now that I know you did A mastering of this album. The reason why I know is that my CD pressing has all of your signature sound. Deep and well-defined bass, clear vocals, clean guitars, luxurious drum skin sound, and overall warmth. If I had to compare to just one CD that you mastered, it would be DCC gold The Eagles Their Greatest Hits. Very similar warm tonality and clean mids.

This is how you can look for your own mastering: Forget the inserts or what it says on the label side of the disc. What you should be looking for is "MANUFACTURED BY SANYO" in the MATRIX (and it does not matter whether it says "MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN" OR "MANUFACTURED BY SANYO"). Again, it does not matter whether the disc states made in Japan or made in U.S.A.

You really need to hear your own version. Personally, I think it is a Class above the MFSL!

ultron9 likes this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Isn't all that just academic as there's only one USA MCA cd mastering? Or is there more than one?

6. eelkiller

7. Steve Hoffman

Well, thanks. The reason I never got one is that I did it in '86 but the thing never came out for years. At least I don't think so. Wasn't manufactured until a long time after, God knows why, such a fantastic album...

phillyal1, ultron9 and nm_west like this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

The MFSL sounds fantastic, but I do need to get this on vinyl as well.

ultron9 likes this.
  9. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Well, Steve, I guess someone goofed and your CD did get manufactured and released in 1987. My CD has the date code in the matrix of 1987!

By the way, I see this particular CD pressing on eBay regularly for only a few dollars!

[Steve, if you cannot find a copy, you can have mine. I will just make a CD-R of it for myself because I am pretty confident that I can find another copy one of these days. If you would like my copy, just send me a private message through The Forums.]

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

1987? Hmmm, sounds about right for a made in Japan disk. I was at DCC by then, probably didn't see it until a long time after.

Thanks for the offer but keep yours, I believe you that it sounds OK...

ultron9 likes this.
  11. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

thats interesting how mca had it mastered in 86 but sat on it till years later....

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Aww, record companies never do that ;)

I've said it before and I will say it again...you can't go wrong with the stock MCA disc or the Mobile Fidelity gold disc. The same can be said for the Blue Thumb vinyl and the Kevin Gray mastered vinyl. None of them suck. Ya gots to trust yer ears

ultron9 likes this.
  13. MCA didn't sit on it till years later, Steve remastered it (according to Steve), in 1986, and it was released in 1987.

ultron9 likes this.
  14. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I too have the Sanyo Japan for USA version. It kicks ass!!!

15. Does the MF CD have the colored swirly look like the original LP? :tiphat:

16. Moby Grape

Moby Grape Forum Resident

Listening to the MCA as I write this. Sounds great; One of my favorite albums. I do have a Japanese release of this CD which I purchased in Japan; it replicates the 3 panel LP jacket, orange Blue Thumb label with thumb print and the marble vinyl on the CD itself. Sound wise it's a bit loud with jacked bass. Prefer the MCA sound wise but the Japanese packaging is stellar. "Mastering Engineer: Kiyoshi Tokiwa 24 bit mastering 2006"

17. steeler1979

18. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Anybody heard the Rev-Ola?

19. steeler1979

I haven't. Anyone else?

20. steeler1979

Wanted to let everyone know I sent Steve the Japan for US Sanyo version and he confirmed it IS his work! If you run across one, treat yourself. It's a great sounding disc!

Not sure if all MCA versions have his mastering, the Sanyo DEFINITELY does.

Jack_Straw likes this.
  21. eelkiller

Did you compare it to the MFSL?

I wonder if the Amazon sellers watch here.

Otherwise it is mint. :)

All for only $39.99, what a bargain. :righton: I will stick with the Ultradisc, it was much cheaper.

22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

anyone have the BGO twofer? If so, how is the mastering on that one?

23. steeler1979

Someone earlier in this thread said the MCA held it's own versus the MFSL. I never owned the MFSL I was always content with the MCA. As far as Amazon goes they were on there last week for $2!

24. Wow, I didn't even know that the original MCA was mastered by Steve (if what was released is his mastering). I had the MCA CD and I think it sounds good, but I also have the MFSL and liked that one a tad better. I could live with both versions but decided to give the MCA to a friend of mine.

I didn't hear any "over EQ" on the MFSL, like it can be found on some other MFSL releases. I think it sounds warm and natural and not bright.

Had I known that the MCA was actually mastered by Steve, I might have kept it anyway, just to have another Steve mastered disc in my collection. But it is in good hands at my friend.

25. I agree, the MCA Plaid back Sanyo CD (both Japan and USA), with Steve's remastering sounds great. It might be plentiful now, and for cheap, but we all know how fast things change.

Arkay_East likes this.