David Bowie - 'Aladdin Sane' What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say

Say Forum Resident

Picture the Spiders as a supergroup. When Bowie dissolved the band and went it alone, sort of speak, kinda like Clapton after Cream; everything gets re-evaluated and sometimes it ain't pretty. That was the feeling I had with the albums after Aladdin Sane. Granted my first forray into his stuff started with Sane, which makes me biased, and I hadn't picked up my next Bowie album till Young Americans (skipping DD's). As a young teen I could still tell the difference in quality/sound of the new vs old band. I thought nothing compared or could compare with the excellence to what Bowie had with Ronson, Woodmansey and Bolder. However, over time and once accustomed to DD's, there was a lot to appreciate with that new adventure.

2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

3. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I think that DD has so many layers that need unraveling and therefore requires repeat plays to fully appreciate. It's very subtle sonically, so perhaps the polar opposite of AS.

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sweet Thing Live From L.A. 05-Sep-1974

badsneakers likes this.
  5. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

I love Aladdin Sane. I don't think is better than Ziggy, though. Ziggy is a more polished album. Aladdin Sane is more adventurous. For those here who find Ziggy too smooth, I'm not sure you've ever heard it on a good system. Mick's guitar makes your hair stand on end.

Aladdin Sane has been described as "Ziggy goes to America." I think that's a fair description.

You don't have to like Aladdin Sane, but it is one of Bowie's great records and therefore one of the greatest records ever.

Diamond Dog and cc-- like this.
  6. badsneakers

Great clip (but that pale blue suit...)

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It was the '70s baby :)! How'd you like Earl Slick's guitar work as opposed to the studio version?

8. badsneakers

Loved it, but it is Earl Slick afterall! You can see why he chose him for STS and other projects. If I'm honest, I prefer the studio version, as the guitar is more blended into the song. There is so much else going on, what with the sax, piano, effects etc.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

10. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I've also heard (on this forum, in fact) that the EMI 100 - Centenary edition from 1997 is good for Aladdin Sane.

11. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

The problem with Aladdin Sane, as with most many Bowie albums, is there is no warmth, no soul. It's the sound of a man who's chosen music as an avenue to stardom.

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Mick Garson's piano. Plus some remarkable vocals. "She'll come, she'll go."

Tim

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think you'd got a copy of Let's Dance in your Aladdin Sane sleeve. :laugh:

But let's face it, Bowie has never been the warm and fuzzy type.

D.B. and 2trackmind like this.
  14. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying, but I actually think that Aladdin Sane is the album where that view is conclusively disproven.

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

And I don't get that from it at all. I get the vibe that he had songs oozing from his pores. I think ideas flowed from him so easily in that era - and he had such a great working relationship with the band - that 'Sane' sounds effortless and vibrant AT THE SAME TIME.

16. Digu

Digu Forum Resident

AS is one of my top 3 Bowie albums, along with Diamond Dogs and Station To Station. At any given time any of these could be my favorite. I am probably in the minority here, but Watch That Man is my favorite Bowie song despite it's quirky mix. I remember being obsessed with it as a teenager trying to figure out the words through the buried vocals. Now that adds to the song's appeal to me, but I can also understand why others may not care for it as much.

17. badsneakers

You haven't heard 'Young Americans'? Bit plastic, but full of soul.

18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I never knew there was film of this show! Very cool to see this again - I was at that show!

It not clear in this video what's happening, but the set was a city street, and Bowie appeared on a catwalk at the top of the set. Over the course of the song, the catwalk slowly descended then ascended as Bowie prowled back and forth. By the end of the song it was back up at the top. Simple staging, but it was very effective and seemed really wild for a rock show at the time.

badsneakers likes this.
  19. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

This is the album that made me a fan in the first place and still my favorite 40 years later. But it's a matter of taste, really. For instance, "Heroes" is my least favorite, yet it's considered a classic by many a Bowie fan, so go figure.

20. I don't know why but I prefer AS to Ziggy.

Solace likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

Aladdin Sane' is my favorite by Bowie. And a stone cold classic.

Thin Man and Say like this.
  22. Say

Say Forum Resident

old school, I'm starting to like the school you went to more and more.

old school likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There's quite a bit of film from that show actually. The BBC shot the show at the Universal Amphitheater on 05-Sep-1974 as they were making the documentary "Cracked Actor" and wanted some performance footage. If you search YouTube for Diamond Dogs/Philly Dogs tour footage, most of it (especially if it's pro-shot) is from this show. For what it's worth, the audio circulates from this show (mono - supposedly recorded by the BBC and is excellent).

Lastly, there a documentary floating around (I wish I could remember the name - one of those multi-part deals) on Rock and Roll that has a segment on the rise of the big stadium tours. I remember there were segments on one of Kiss' elaborate stagings as well as the Diamond Dog tour set. They had the set designer and a little miniature of the set, with all the moving parts like the catwalk you described and the cherry picker that was used for Space Oddity. I'm sure it's on YouTube as well.

This is a combination of a lot of the footage from Cracked Actor:

This link (since I can only post one video) has the Space Oddity footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18B4MZ0Azo

badsneakers likes this.
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In case you couldn't tell, I love Aladdin Sane. The 30th Anniversary Edition had some nice bonus tracks, including the acoustic "Drive In Saturday" from Cleveland. It's nice to hear one of the AS songs in it's early stages.

I always though this was a cool (supposedly) Aladdin Sane outtake. What I like about it too is that David obviously recycled the piano bit for Sweet Thing later on (never waste any good ideas, right)? I was always surprised they never released this one since it has some nice Ronson riffs too.

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

If nothing else, this thread has given me reason to listen to the album again and see if it works. Jean Genie has always been a favorite of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.