David Bowie BOWPROMO LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just bought one from Newbury Comics' website for retail last week.

2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm new to vinyl. The record stores near me aren't the greatest or most convenient. So stores usually get a decent stock of exclusives like this? Do they sell them online? I know that probably varies, but I'm just trying to figure out how I can pick these up.

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Was that released before or after he passed?
    If it was before, that would explain why it was still available for so long.
    Also, these 2 releases have a bigger appeal than the picture disc of an album that already exists in standard form and is easily available.

Now he's passed, his popularity has risen and I imagine there's going to be a lot of people wanting these Bowie releases.
    Some will be long term fans who buy everything regardless , some will be people who are suddenly big fans even though they didn't pay much attention when he was alive, and some will be flippers who will be buying to resell at inflated prices.
    The demand will be big.

4. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

The picture disc was released after he died.

5. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

A big oops. Multi-tracks :thumbsup:

windfall likes this.
  6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

My mistake. Visconti used the original multi-tracks for this release. :cool:

7. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

damn, i hope this isn't mastered badly. i'll hang on to the boot version just in case. and if i then get the official release, i at least also have an unmolested or less molested version (less molested in the case of Strange Fascination, there's a very slight fake stereo thing going on, i think it's just stereo reverb).

8. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I think there was second printing. They were completely sold out in Chicago in stores. They weren't available on Bull Moose when they put there stock online. Prices skyrocketed but a couple weeks later they were readily available.

9. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Wish they kept the Dana Gilesspie stuff. If I remember she covers Andy Warhol and also does another Bowie composition.

Tyler Chastain, Fred1970 and Neonbeam like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah but "RSD Exclusive" and "2nd Printing" should be a contradiction in itself:angel:

Which reminds me of the "Testpressing edition" of Big Stars "Third" for RSD 2011 which in the end had several represses. I'm fine with that. But why do the "Exclusive", "Limited Edition" at all? Bottom line: Do not overpay on RSD!

oldturkey and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  11. CBackley

Are RSD exclusives generally hard to get?

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

If you are prepared to sit it out and not pay grossly inflated online prices if you cant actually get it in store then the answer is, with the exception of a few releases over the years, no!

I don't think there has been an RSD release in the last 10 years that I have wanted but have never been able to get, even if it is a few months after the event itself.

CBackley likes this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Nice to see 'Bombers' making an appearance again

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

let go of any chance of purchasing except at a 1000% markup on Fleabay

15. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

great sleeve for cracked actor! very dramatic

i echo the sentiment upthread about a digital complement hopefully appearing later on—these are crucial entries in the bowie canon. after all, a limited vinyl-exclusive release in this day and age is nothing short of manufactured fetishism... or terrorism, take your pick

Robert C likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yes, well, good for him. I don't have an accessible turntable or a hunger to fight for RSD releases, so if Parlophone et al. democratize the process a bit, I'm in.

Robert C likes this.
  17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Official announcement only uses the word exclusive about the five photo prints; albums are limited edition.

rihajarvi likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The SRP on this is USD$50. Cracked Actor is $40

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

For real. Let me download it. Take my money!

CBackley and TonyCzar like this.
  20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This release would be a lot cooler if they had gotten the Dana Gillespie stuff for the other side. She deserves that kind of attention.

21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Wail the sirens ... mini unboxing video

Twitter

oldturkey and Bowie Fett like this.
  22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I believe these records will be available
    only at metaphysical stores.

23. CBackley

Pretty soon that will be all that's left. Thanks for the tip!

The Elephant Man likes this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I've just put this on after enjoying the Cracked Actor LP. Again it's a winner, I haven't heard any of this previously and if I did it would probably be on a bootleg from a beaten up old record. This has clean, crisp sound with lots of dynamics. Is it essential? Probably not, unless you're a serous Bowie fan, the packaging IS lovely with with 5 quality prints and the songs are noticeably different but..... they are the same songs and not radically different. Is this the first time out for Bombers since the Ryko period? I wonder why Ryko didn't do this as a promo or as bonus tracks? At $79.99 AUD it's a steep price to pay for one side of music but far far cheaper than trying to track down an original.

All in all a great record store day!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Definitely worth the money - lovely box but would have been even better with the Dana half. Everybody was walking around the shop with this huge box under their arm - it was the no 1 target IMO.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.