DAVID BOWIE Cracked Actor LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Maybe baby. I haven't got Nassau Live yet. :waiting:

hi_watt likes this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Go frantic to obtain it only to find it's brickwalled - no thanks

Really want the concert footage

Did Dufries get that too?

3. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Record Store Day is a complete con. It began with good intentions. promoting vinyl, but has ended up as a cash grab on ebay.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As I said, it lost its way pretty quickly. I don't buy Vinyl these days, but I just hate to see these things go on. That and how I've endlessly complained about the Bowie box sets and how half-assed they are, only to be told to wait for something different. Well guess what, that "different" has arrived, and it's going to sell out in a single day (probably half a day), be exclusive to certain stores, and only in one format. So yeah, any good will about RSD is just gone....

johnnyyen likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

No where does it say that. Be patient.

6. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Most of the RSD items sit around for quite a while and never command inflated prices on eBay, or at least don't once the hysteria dies down and everyone realizes they're still widely available. Not that I'm saying the Bowie album will be one of these.

johnnyyen likes this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It was Doug Rauch (not Raunch) who played bass with Bowie then. I hope they fix the spelling eventually.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

It might be, but I don't think Visconti will give it the hideous, shattered glass EQ which was the nail in the coffin for the disastrous sounding Nassau release, on top of the brick situation.

sparkmeister likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Looks like it. The famous fab bootleg "Strange Fascination":
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Bowie* - Strange Fascination

Greenblues, Cake and Tanx like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Except that (IMO) the performances on the bootleg (and soon to be on this LP release) are much better than the ones on David Live. I rarely listen to David Live, but I listen to the Universal Amphitheater bootleg a lot.

11. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Makes you wonder why they bothered re-releasing David Live recently when they probably knew this was coming.

12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both are great and have their own charm. Can't get enough of David Live.

sound chaser, Solace and jhm like this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I wonder if they will "fix" the Quadrophenia-like clams with the pre-recorded pieces which were used between songs (and supposed to stop once the band started). On the "Strange Fascination" boot, the beginnings of "Time" and "Diamond Dogs" have those taped bits which overstay their welcome exactly as long as they do in the "Cracked Actor" documentary.

So, it's what the audience heard; it's what the BBC film crew picked up. Can Visconti make it all *disappear*?

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Isn't it because they are doing all the official releases in order in sets?

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

According to davidbowie.com they finally acquired all of the multitracks for this show so I hold out some hope that this gave Visconti a lot of "room" to work with on these tapes.

Edit: The actual quote is: All of the multi-track tapes were finally reunited in one place in November of last year and mixed officially for the first time by long time Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti.

16. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

What a horrible artwork for Cracked Actor!
    Even worse than the Bowie Legacy Sleeve design.

karmaman likes this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think it kinda looks like a 70s vinyl bootleg. I like it.

DrJ, e.s., xTraPlaylists and 3 others like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They're taking pains to point out that the tapes were "reunited" 11/16, and WCIBN was released 09/16.

So everything probably had to be cut and dried for the WCIBN box well before they had L.A. tape in hand (let alone knew it would happen for sure).

e.s. likes this.
  19. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Eh..., how much more expensive?

20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Me neither, can remember the dissapointment of hearing David Live. Very bland sonically. Nobody could play those songs like Ronno et al!

21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

:righton: Ronson was spot on.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a really lousy cover. I like the title though and I'd love to hear Visconti's mix of this. I abandoned my old TDK cassette of "David Live" in favour of the bootleg of this show long ago. I just read in my old "Bowie - An Illustrated Record" book that it was a real challenge for Visconti to record the shows of this tour because of all the microphones David was using (8), at different points all over the stage. The book also trashes "David Live", pointing out how shagged out David's voice and breathing is on the album.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

SRP is $40 and $50.

Are "test pressings" more expensive to manufacture?

24. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Earl Slick is amazing on David Live.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It also says in that book Visconti recorded "several shows" during the 1972 Ziggy tour of America, "including Carnegie Hall on September 28th"!!
    Hells bells, what happened to the tapes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.