David Bowie - EMI remasters (not Ryko)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

I've searched the past threads and can find lots of comments about the various Ryko and RCA issues of Bowie on CD but, can't seem to track down anything about the EMI versions. These are the most recent remasters (sans bonus material). Any comments? I'm particularly wondering about the early material (Space Oddity, Man Who Sold the World etc...).

Cheers,
    Chris

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Not hugely popular here due to mastering techniques used...no-noise, eq, etc...though some do like them!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  3. I've lifted my own quote from this thread here:

4. ... and after all that, my 1990 disc sounds far better :)

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

Guess I'll stick with my mid-70s UK vinyl on that one, eh. It sounds quite wonderful as well as most of my Bowie LPs from that time.

I pretty well figured that the reason these recent EMI remasters hadn't been mentioned was that they were no improvement (or worse) than other issues.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It shows that you don't need to fall for the stickers that try and sell you the "improved" remasters.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I saw an EMI "Let's Dance" the other day that looked really old. It said Made In Japan across the bottom of the back insert. Was this a 1990 release?

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Might well have been a first pressing...I know several people here who might be interested if that were the case :) Or it could be a 1990 Japanese issue...but I doubt it.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If it was a first pressing, shouldn't it have been on RCA? It looked a lot older than 1990...

10. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Nah, Let's Dance came out after his RCA contract was over and he signed with EMI globally, IIRC. His RCA contract definitely ended with Scary Monsters. I don't actually believe that there ever was a Ryko version of anything past his RCA catalog, just EMI...

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Makes sense. So should I have picked it up? I wonder how the new SACD compares to this EMI version?

12. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

the redbook layer is probably better on the one you saw...sacd layer, i have no idea.

13. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

The EMI remasters are horrid in my opinion. No-noised, and airless ... Don't do it! Seek RCA, Ryko, or vinyl, in preference to those.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The EMI release I saw was definitely not part of their remastered series.

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The CD is the original release, from like, 1985 or so. The SACD kills it & I just traded my EMI copy due to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.