David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Good. Thank you. If all my CDs came designed like this I'd have twice as much room

2. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I have no way of knowing what the producers of this set where thinking when they decided to include the 40th remasters of ZS and AS (probably that those remasters sound fine :whistle:), but IMO including new remasters would have made the studio albums in this set sound more consistent. It also would have made the set more enticing for prospective buyers (as many Bowie fans probably already own the the 40th Ziggy and the 40th AS).

For the record; I still think that there is plenty to like about this box set and I'm anxiously awaiting the next set in the series. :D

RealKamera, bob60 and jon9091 like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You don't say! :winkgrin:

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I recently heard the 2 Ziggy CD's from the set. The 2003 version sounds like a blanket was thrown over the mix.

5. I like it. :) Actually, you have just given me a great idea. If I ever feel like listening to the 4oth ZS again (doubtful), throwing a blanket over my speakers might help make it a more pleasant listen. :winkgrin:

NearysEpiphany and sonnyrock like this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Just in case you did not notice it is a fold down from the 2003 5.1 mix, and there was not a 2003 2.0 mix done. I have never heard it but my guess is it must be a bit weird sounding.

Someone here earlier said they had the 5.1 and this new 2.0, it would be interesting to have your player fold the 5.1 down and see if it does it any differently, but I suppose there may be more productive things to do.

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

HMV and Fopp in London still don't have the new individual CDs in stock as of yesterday, only the EMI stock. And then they wonder why people shop on Amazon...

stef1205, bobcat, d.s.l. and 2 others like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The box is only like 3 1/2 inches thick. It's great. :)

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

That's not right bob. No idea about HMV but I purchased Man WSTW, Hunky and Pinups on release date (last Fri) in Fopp Shaftesbury Avenue.

I was back in there 3 hours ago, they still have DB aka Space Oddity, Ziggy, Aladdin and Pinups but have sold out of the other two.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'm relaxing to Hunky Dory now. Just listening all the way through and not a/bing with the '99 anymore, the differences seem to grow; I am really loving this remaster a ton and it's starting me on a new love affair with this cherished album. It feels so different and just right for a guy who never had the vinyl or RCA.

Vaughan, Ben Adams, mr.datsun and 3 others like this.
  11. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Here are a couple of clips (.wav) ripped from that Target exclusive CD. Both tracks are listed on the CD sleeve as being from "Collector's Special Edition CD" of their respective album.

Copy and paste these links if you have problems

Always Crashing In The Same Car (5.2 MB)
    https://mega.nz/#!V1ABVCwS!PPaAWa__7_oB8pUw5B5ANQgXc97B99MyOTvyGB_t_2o

Oh! You Pretty Things (4.7 MB)
    https://mega.nz/#!s05BHLBK!NgloAtmFFuFNKdTXdNVvuguisw31JNy7Rf0BEwKfjj0

Morrison Braddock and scobb like this.
  12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

A fold-down? Damn. So I'm assuming the "unfolded" had the same low level sound with the highs muted also? On "Ziggy", the cymbal crashes at the start barely ring out.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Similar situation over here in Berlin and Hannover, the four stores I checked carried nothing but the old discs. Maybe they are hoping to sell some of them that way because people get them confused with the new remasters?! I wonder what they are doing with them anyway now they have become obsolete?!

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

When I went there wasn't any in either shop, Fopp must have sold out then, but they had loads of old stock. To their credit HMV were very embarrassed about not having any, they blamed problems with ordering.

15. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Were the live albums reissued separately?

bobcat likes this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

The last Central London HMV rarely has anything I want, back catalogue or new. I wish Tower, Zavvi or Virgin stores had survived instead.

17. rabarbar

rabarbar Forum Resident

From what i see only studio albums(2015) are sold separately. Both Live albums are not available as mini lps.

18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The separate releases are in jewel cases (thank goodness) so your second sentence is confusing.

Are the live albums mini LPs in the box?

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

HMV London is a shadow of a record store. Horrible soul-less place of chart stuff.

Could you try Sister Ray ?

20. BlueSpeedway

No.

And the old EMI versions are presumably out of print now as Parlophone has the exclusive release rights.

21. BlueSpeedway

They're more expensive in my experience in recent years. I went in there recently for a new Elvis reissue and it was £15. When HMV eventually had it several days later, it was £12.99.

The Bowie CDs are cheaper too in the HMV-owned Fopp mentioned above ( £1 cheaper each than amazon too).

HMVs stock is dire for so much I want to look at or buy, but their prices are OK when they actually bother to stock something I want.

22. rabarbar

rabarbar Forum Resident

If u check post above,there is photo of box with replica mini lps (live albums included).

Now that's interesting. So i guess we can expect new reissues of Live albums soon.

23. BlueSpeedway

I doubt it, as their inclusion in the box is in theory a selling / marketing point for it, due to their non-reissue as separates, unlike the studio albums.

Although of course the older EMI releases of Santa Monica and Ziggy the Motion Picture aren't difficult or expensive to find.

24. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

This thread has gone orf terribly, hasn't it? What?

e.s. and Ben Adams like this.
  25. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Decided to get two CDs from this new remasters. I choose "HD" and "TMHSTW". I got both from CdJapan, hopping the Japanese version will have better production quality.