David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. WhatTheFlac

WhatTheFlac Forum Resident

2. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion, I contacted them and they did indeed upload it to my library. Thanks again!

Blender and Ben Adams like this.
  3. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

mdm08033 likes this.
  4. My CDs have started to bronze! Still playable though, but for how long?

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

for this new boxest?

6. No, for the Five Years set. I just got it out to rip them to FLAC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's a bit horrifying.

Cowboy Kim and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow wtf

9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

"The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums and the CDs will be gold rather than the usual silver."

- from the product description.

Tim

10. Oh thank god, no idea how I've never noticed that the discs are gold until now. They really do look like an early stage of bronzing from the gold color.

TonyCzar and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

*unclenches*

Preston, sunspot42 and Blender like this.
  12. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been discussed before (in this very long topic) but hopefully there is quick answer:

I notice that the Five Years remastering of Ziggy and Aladdin Sane sounds significantly quieter than the previous CDs I bought (and the Ziggy mp3s which I bought from Amazon).

Is the consensus that the previous versions were mastered "too loud" and the Five Years versions are "better" (since they are less compressed)?

Or are the louder previous versions still preferred?

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

These two should be the loudest albums in the box.
    If you have even louder versions for some reason (are yours the Japanese Mini-LPs, represses of the '99 remasters?), they certainly won't be prefered!

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ben Adams likes this.
  15. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Yes, I think my CDs were from 1999 or so. I don't have them in front of me (they are in boxes) so am not sure.

16. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

So is the vinyl box OOP forever or did Warner Music not anticipate the demand for this and will repress?

Seems like a lost opportunity not keeping this in print. Anyone have the inside skinny?

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My guess is that the individual titles will be kept in print only.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Bought this on EBAY and....oh well, I have a question hopefully someone can get back to me on. Does The Man Who Sold The World CD come with any inserts, or picture sleeve or just the plastic sleeve? And by the way, the soft plastic sleeves suck. Does anyone have any idea where to get slightly stiffer sleeves that would slide in and out easier?

19. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

My copy only has the plastic sleeve and the white paper sleeve. I bought this CD set used via Amazon. It was still sealed. Hope that helps.

20. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Thanks azjvm05! Looks like I'm only missing the white paper sleeve which is easily replaceble. The plastic sleeve are very flimsy and keep binding up when trying to use them properly. I think I'll try to find some slighty stiffer plastic sleeves and then cut them to the same height or slightly lower so they can slide in and out easier without binding up and wrinkling. I know, First World Problems:)

Rod

azjvm05 likes this.
  21. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

i put the plastic sleeve inside the white sleeve

22. Members here should be aware that the CD box has apparently now been counterfeited out of China. Suspiciously low pricing for sets originating outside the United States are now showing up on eBay.

I don't have direct experience with them but new copies are suddenly showing up under $60. This doesn't mean all the boxes on eBay are counterfeits, but something to watch out for when searching.

Runicen and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I wonder whether counterfeit boxes duplicate the proper matrices on the CDs and whether the counterfeit Man Who Sold disc has a textured cover, like my copy.

If you have s counterfeit please post how you know it's counterfeit so those of us who fear we might have one can know for certain whether we do.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

the real ones have a gold playing surface

25. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

That might be a problem....