David Bowie - Five Years box - Is it supposed to be this loud?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tripecac, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Are the bottom of the CDs gold colored? If not they are definitely boots.

billy1 likes this.
  2. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Bought the 2 box sets very cheaply off eBay, the Who can I be now was ruined by heavy bass, lousy sound.
    The 5 years boxset sounded great, will try and get my money back for WCIBN

3. I kind of took it on a case by case basis myself for WCIBN. Some I liked better than others and some I didn't like at all. YMMY.

driverdrummer likes this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

My two cents:

* Loved the Parlophone "Diamond Dogs" and "David Live (2005)".
    * Already had the "Station to Station (Original Analogue)" in 96/24 so I could ignore whatever torture they may have applied to STS. Still haven't listened to the Parlophone STS.
    * Spent 34 years ignoring variations and bonus tracks and string embellishments on "Young Americans", so, no "collector concerns". It's not an album I ever lost sleep over, and I love the Queen Latifah "Fame". I gave both albums (YA and "The Gouster") a listen in 2016, and liked what I heard. Worth $200?? IDFK. I just said I liked what I heard.
    * "Cracked Actor (Los Angeles 1974)". OMG!!! Glad they didn't use it for boxbait. You could get the 96/24 at a reasonable price. Single shining achievement of the three boxes, IMHO, unless you count the vinyl "Ziggy" (which I don't, for personal reasons that I expect no one else to listen to, understand, or respect.) Trainspot all you like on the three officially released 1974 recordings, all I know is that JIODA is how one ends a show properly.
    * Spent $35 for the CD-sized WCIBN book. It has pictures, so even an American can use it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Tsomi and wayneklein like this.
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It isn't in the three boxes!

Tim

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You just seem angry that you have been mugged (more than once by the look of it) and in denial that what you purchased will certainly sound inferior to genuine product. I doubt you are actually happy with what you purchased but a hard lesson learned. China and Russia = defacto dodgy goods unless pre-established otherwise.

7. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Also, if you enter into correspondence with the seller pay attention to how he addresses you. Does he, for instance, insist on referring to you as 'Jim lad' or 'me hearty'.

Then there's the packaging the item came in, that can sometimes be a dead giveaway. This would definitely give me cause for concern.

[​IMG]

Blurry, wayneklein, yarbles and 2 others like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Love the cultural stereo-typing here. 'Core blimey, well I never – it's a genuine 'onest Bowie item this 'un, Guv – so strike me down with a ten-foot barge pole. If it tickles yer fancy I'll 'ave the boys deliver a couple of these in our spiffing new van in a jiffy'. Clearly the vernacular of a bootlegger, that. And you can tell a pirated copy when the seller says things like 'rub-a-dub-dub' or 'well, blow me down!' at the end of each sentence. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Frittenköter and billy1 like this.
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

That's a plus. It's an unheard rarity (in this quality), a winner, and can be had for < $20.

What's not to like? I bought it and pretended it was part of the box.

onlyconnect likes this.
  11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Could a mod change the title of this thread to "Five Years pirated box"? Since it isn't actually a discussion about the genuine Five Years box.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.