David Bowie - Heroes 2017 fixed remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What you said sounds about right—the Ryko mastering builds a little bit in volume, enough to be noticeable, while the new release doesn’t really build in volume at all.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They both build in volume, that was my finding... the difference between them is very slight except that the 2017/2018 is more limited and EQ'd differently, but it still builds in volume by the final verse... an increase of about 2 LUFS from the start of the song, which is only about 1dB less of a crescendo than on the Ryko

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    crispi likes this.
  3. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

I received my replacement vinyl in rice paper sleeve yesterday.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, just today at last got the replacements.
    The LP and CD came in cardboard mailer box and they were well secured.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now Im satisfied at last got the precious replacements, hopefully RSD-releases will be glitch-free.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nothing here yet, but I had a dream last night that I received my replacement LP and it was badly bowled. As the dream went on, it just got worse and worse, like one of Salvador Dali's melting clocks.

You know anxiety is high when you dream about defective replacement vinyl.

7. I don’t really hear the 2017/18 building in volume. If it does, I can’t perceive it, while with the Ryko, the second half of the song gradually builds, although it is not in your face, extremely obvious. It’s more like a subtle but constant raising of volume as the last half of the song builds.

8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

So did I.
    Side 1 is perfect, but Side 2 is suffering from heavy non-fills throughout ! And it's also off-centered :shake:

Anyway, I'll stick with last year's pressing from the boxset then. The so-called anomaly in "Heroes" never really troubled me in the first place.

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That's not consistent with the measurements, it's really Bowie's voice that pings the meter and gets louder as the song goes on, not so much the backing track

10. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Just received. Guess it came from the EU. Interesting that the paperwork said my original order was 01/24. I think that was my first complaint!

11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I wrote them a number times.. they said they sent one to me, but I never got it. Anyway, they did say another is going out s00n... so we will see.

12. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, I finally received and listened to the 2017/2018 stand-alone CD and was surprised by how much I liked the sound quality. I don't own any past HEROES CDs, but this one does have a near perfect balance of bass, tone and high end, so I definitely made the right decision getting this one instead of the 1999 CD. IMO, the song "Heroes" still doesn't sound as restored, modern or stellar as the version on the 2014 Nothing Has Changed 3CD comp, but I was shocked by how much I ended up liking the audio on the 2017/2018 edition, as I like nice bass and tone and luckily this CD has that, and is not too bright.

Vaughan and Scottb like this.
  13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The title track on this new remaster sounds great. It sounds much better then the 1999 CD for those that may be interested in getting this.

crispi, jimhb and Futurecity like this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

My replacement cd and lp arrived today, it appeared to have been despatched from Spain!

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Same here! Very odd. Picked it up at the neighborhood post box on my way to work, so I won't get to audition it for several more hours yet.

But at least, at long last, the bugger is finally here. Now hopefully it's free from flaws, although I'm feeling a bit pessimistic because this whole thing has been ridiculous.

Only fiasco worse this past year was the McCartney colored vinyl pre-orders. Glad I missed out on that headache!

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Annnnd side 2 is riddled with surface noise in the right channel.

I'll stick with the one that came in the box. At least the pressing is perfect.

17. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Exact same thing here. Good thing I only waited three months for this piece of junk, otherwise I'd be a little disappointed...

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I know, right?

And side 1 sounded sooooo good, too. Sigh.

sennj likes this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My replacement vinyl also has a lot of right channel noise on side 2 even after cleaning with RCM.

I assume they are the same but does anyone know if the standalone release is also noisy? Album sounds really great otherwise.

20. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

As I posted above, my replacent copy's second side was junk.

I did purchase the standalone LP from Amazon when it was around $13 on pre-order and I am happy to report that it is excellent. No issues whatsoever. Surprises never cease in the wacky world of vinyl...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I got a second replacement today and it has a noise in the right channel too. I'm going to complain again because it's unlistenable.

22. I agree, upon listening it is Bowie’s vocal, not the entirety of the song, that gets progressively louder. In the 2017/18, his vocal is louder than the backing track, but it doesn’t sound to me like the loudness builds. I am just going by what I am hearing, not by any measurements, as I have not taken any and don’t have the facility to do so!

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My side 2 was noisy even after cleaning on the VPI. Am thinking I will try the US standalone issue.

24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

That's the same lacquer according to Discogs

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

I received Lp and Cd both. Finally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.