David Bowie - Heroes 2017 fixed remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

A credit note? :)

jon9091 likes this.
  2. killie99

killie99 Forum Resident

The matrix on my bad side 2 is BH 70661 01B9 (it's very difficult to read, it might be 01B3)

Side 1 BH02087 01A

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

So just listened to side 2 and did not hear any distortion (a little bit of surface noise on Secret Life...).

Side A:

BH02 087-o1A 0190295842840

Side B:

BH70667-01B3 0190295842840

Discogs has a listing for the replacement disc: David Bowie - "Heroes"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes, I got the 01B3 twice and both had heavy distortion in the right channel. This was not in the category surface noise but this is how a record graded G or F sounds.

Warner wrote last week:

Thanks for your message.

We have had no other problems or feedback regarding a faulty replacement.

Please let us know if you wish for us to send this to you again.

So replacement record number three is on its way.

5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Damn, I thought my "Heroes" LP (standalone purchase) was noise-free, but I listened to it again, this time with headphones, and heard surface noise in the right channel throughout much of "Sense of Doubt." I could also hear it in the fade in and fade out of "V2 Schneider," but most of that song seems to be loud enough to drown it out. But then the rest of Side 2 (and all of Side 1) is totally quiet.

6. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

just curious...did you buy a special edition of this set? I did not have any gold discs in my boxset.

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The cd's are gold in the boxset.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If your discs are silver, and not gold, then it's a bootlegged set. All official sets have gold discs - something each of the Bowie boxes replicate. I tried to buy the first two sets on Ebay - I got lucky with the first set and was able to find a legit one with gold discs, for the second set no luck, and ended up buying it full price from Amazon. With this third set I pre-ordered from Amazon because the hunt after release was soul-destroying.

MultiMan likes this.
  9. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

thanks will have to take another look but I could have sworn all of my cds were silver.

10. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Yeah, as others here have already stated, the box set CDs have a gold tint to them. The tint is fairly "light" but pretty obvious. If your set has silver, you might have an "unofficial" release.

11. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

well I hope that isn't the case...I didn't see any bootlegs on discogs for this. Came from a well known seller on ebay.

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

You can normally tell by the price!

Tim

Vaughan and scobb like this.
  13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Well-known does not (always) equal reputable. With these kind of boxsets I always stick to the reputable (online) retailers as the risk of getting a counterfeit is too high when trying to get it on free-for-all platforms. As stated above, if the price seemed too good to be true, it probably was.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm afraid it really is that simple - if your discs are silver, it's a counterfeit. These Bowie sets seem to have been particularly targeted.

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I was unhappy with the right channel noise on side 2 of the replacement vinyl for Heroes. RCM didn't really help in this case.

So I took a $20 gamble on the standalone release. Same matrix as the replcement (01B3 on side 2), but...this copy is quiet!

I will put this one in the box set and probably keep the replacement for regular listening duty.

Vaughan, sennj and Johan1880 like this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Good to know that quiet copies are out there! I think I'm going to roll the dice on another one.

17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Sorry, I really don't understand this, so you went to the trouble of finding a better copy and now won't play it?

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I will archive the better copy and maybe play on special occasions. The less-than-perfect copy will be my day to day player which is fine in case of accident, scratch, etc. I can't be the only one who does this.

19. Pavol Stromcek

Crap, I picked up a second copy of the new "Heroes" LP and the surface noise in the right channel on side 2 is even worse than the first copy. I wonder if I should even bother exchanging this second copy, and just return it for a full refund instead. (That is why I buy almost all new vinyl on Amazon, after all).

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Are the US and EU versions pressed at the same plant? Maybe return that one for a refund and get it from Amazon UK if it’s pressed at a better plant.

21. Pavol Stromcek

That's not a bad idea, though it appears both US and EU versions were pressed at Optimal.

22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I received my replacement Lp, and Side 2 is just awful ! Lots of noises, and on top of that it is very off-centered ! :D
    I will keep on playing the original box Lp, then. I never really minded the volume change in the song.

23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Masterpiece. Joe the Lion, Blackout, Beauty and the Beast, "Heroes". One of the greatest albums of all time.

24. Pavol Stromcek

Seriously - the volume change, or "loss of energy," in the title track is nothing compared to that awful surface noise on side 2!

Zongadude likes this.
  25. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Wow, that's bad! ;)

Somerset Scholar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.