David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

At the Toronto exhibit in 2013, the gift shop was set up at the end of the exhibit, as part of the exhibit if you will. They had some generic items in the museum's gift shop, but a exhibit specific one was where all the good stuff was. This isn't all that uncommon, as most of the special exhibits that travel around will have their own merchandise to sell, so they just setup a specific thing for it at the end of the exhibit to take advantage of folks coming through. Whether or not it's possible for people to access the exhibit specific gift shop without traveling through the exhibit first probably has to do more with where it's situated and how strict museum staff are about it. I just hope all the exclusive vinyl are still available after this weekend. They've already hit eBay from the press walkthrough yesterday, and someone claimed the Berlin was limited to 300 copies. Not sure where that came from, but the prices are out of control.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The show is running through July, I seriously doubt there are only 300 copies of anything.

3. dumaisaudio

Maybe, but the Let's Dance yellow 7" in Australia was limited to 500, and seems to be the most sought after David Bowie Is release, as it's currently going for $1100 on Discogs now. I would hope they'd press more copies of the Berlin release than the Time release.

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If they're only pressing limited numbers for the sake of exclusivity, then why bother making them part of the museum show? I hate that collector mentality.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  5. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

seems to me they should do some sort of guarantee of X copies per day at least

6. dumaisaudio

Yeah, I'd love to know what others experienced when this hit other cities. I'm going off of comments on Discogs. Seems like the Japanese stop sold out in a matter of a few weeks. I know I plan on getting there as early as possible, in case they're only putting out X number of copies a day.

7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Well, ask 'em!

8. dumaisaudio

Good idea! I've sent the museum an email, I'll report back if I hear anything. I might try calling them tomorrow.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the Australian 7" sold out in days. the Japanese picture sold fast but was then held back and sold later in the run, the 12" was kept in stock for almost the entire duration. the Italian single was seemingly repressed as it was available online after the show had closed. the Dutch pair were pressed in decent numbers... but it's down to each location how they were handled. some had no limit per customer (Australia for one), some could be bought without a ticket to the exhibition (Japan, albeit with a three copies per person limit)... staff seem clueless so i don't think there's a directive from "bowie's people" or parlophone on how to do this fairly.
    going for and selling for are different things but $500 is the "going rate" for the Let's Dance single. whether that will change now that the live b-side is being issued on the RSD 12" remains to be seen. the Time single contains nothing new.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. dumaisaudio

I can't imagine an 8 track live LP is going to be extremely limited, it's the biggest exclusive release to these exhibits as far as material on it. iSelect is getting repressed, so I'm not as worried about getting that, especially since you can get it from sellers in Europe for under $100.

11. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Yes, and it was also available to order online (as was Heathen, I think).
    Whereas I think many of these others are 'physical exhibition store' only.

12. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

All the physical stuff will eventually come out as black-standard vinyls (and/or digital). Now we play the waiting game.

13. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

My friend is going to the exhibition tomorrow at opening time to get me the vinyls. I got him an advance ticket to be sure he'll be able to get in the dedicated gift shop.

Hope all works well!

14. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I'm going in a couple of weeks... for those who have been, is there much of interest in the gift shop besides magnets and t-shirts?

15. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Honestly, i bet these will be the easiest to get just because ebay seems easier to do in the US.

16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

at the very least shipping (to USA locations) will hopefully not be 20 bucks like it seems to be with all those 7"s abroad.

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i don't believe they were... only 500 copies were made of each, demand at the exhibition was plenty high enough. i don't know for sure, you may have bought online?

18. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

I purchased the 1.Outside online myself, so a certainty for that one.

karmaman likes this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's pretty standard for museums all around the world to have dedicated stores attached to major touring exhibitions, completely separate from the museum's regular store. I'd be surprised if this hasn't been the case with other iterations of David Bowie Is.

20. dumaisaudio

These are starting to bit eBay, and the exhibit hasn't even officially opened yet. One person has put up at 3 copies of each so far, so the museum hasn't put a limit on how many you can buy apparently.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha.... 649$ for the "complete set":righton:
    Let me put it like this: Whoever is going for that doesn't deserve better:crazy:

22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Inform us if it sells, will you? It's minus 10 degrees here this week and plus 15 Celsius in the Big Apple. I could do with a cheap flight to warmer parts and get to see the extra 100 exhibits, or twice :cool:

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

One more impression of the Exhibition with Victoria Broakes and some stills of the Edward Bell Scary Monsters artwork and the Blackstar items.

TonyCzar and Coley like this.
  24. Coley

Coley Well-Known Member

I select rarity, I got my cd free with daily mail

25. dumaisaudio

According to someone on Instagram who posted a picture this morning, the records are just in the downstairs gift shop of the museum, so you don't need to pay for the exhibit to get them. This means they'll probably sell out faster and allow for more flow to eBay if they aren't putting limits on how many you can buy.

EDIT - I just talked to the gift shop. They're already sold out of the Time 7". There's a 2 per person limit on records. He seemed to think the rest of the limited records wouldn't last past the weekend. Not looking good for anyone not going this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.