David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe I'm the odd man out on this one, but there are entries in this series I never quite got acquainted with prior to the boxes being released (Diamond Dogs is one that I never quite warmed too - ironically, I preferred the versions from David Live). While I may not find any new hot favorites, I'm just as interested to see what they do with the '80s albums as I am looking forward to the "Berlin" albums (which hopefully include Scary Monsters to satisfy my internal sense of thematic continuity :D). These sets have had a very enjoyable sonic signature to them (CD) and I'm definitely interested in hearing more.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My vinyl rip. :D

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

JP Christian and Robert C like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

5. windfall

windfall Senior Member

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I wouldn't have thought so, the discs from the first box didn't have an effect on the second box as far as I'm aware. I've ordered YA and STS on vinyl but not paying the price of £12.72 for the CDs as that will drop significantly in the next 12 months - I bought Hunky Dory from the first box on cd two weeks ago new for £2.99!

7. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Cool...just ordered Nassau live album vinyl from Amazon UK

8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Have just pre-ordered the 3 studio albums at £13.69 each from Amazon UK, I already own originals, but I'm a sucker for nicely priced re-issues!

I'm not too worried about getting the live albums - I already own an original David Live - am I missing much if I pass on the remix, and is Nassau a worthy addition?

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nassau is excellent musically, and awful sonically. You should listen to a sample and decide.
    I love the remix of David Live, but it might feel too much of a repetition to some people (even with the couple of bonus tracks it has). It's up to you to choose, again.

andy75 and JP Christian like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Visconti "reworked" "David Live" is definitely worthwhile since you get "Here Today Gone Tomorrow", "Time", "Panic In Detroit" and the previously unreleased "Space Oddity" put back in their proper places. Plus better sound.

The Nassau concert is fantastic.

BUT..... I have never heard these new vinyl versions. And since these boxes aren't without problems....

vonwegen and JP Christian like this.
  11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I was tempted by the David Live vinyl but I have the DVD-Audio, so no need, really. I'd just be buying it for the packaging...!

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A theater in vancouver is advertising a High Definition master of the Ziggy concert movie.

You got the vinyl on the last box, so I guess the blu-ray will come sooner rather than later.

polchik likes this.
  13. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Now that I can buy separate versions of STS, YA & DD from the box, is there a general consensus on which of these masterings are the total "must haves"?

14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If you want "general consensus", you've come to the wrong place o_O! Many people like them!

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

zaza_3121 likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

of those three, i'd say "none". which of course depends on whether you have any earlier editions. if you're starting afresh and your budget is limited then you could do worse.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I just saw this on PledgeMusic...
    After the recent AmazonUK sale prices, which were very good... and much better...
    Is there any value added to this Pledge sale?

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

How is the new David Bowie Live 24/96? Looking for some feedback, love this record but never got my hands on the DVD-A. I'm only interested in the stereo version anyway.

21. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well I screwed up - thought I'd ordered the new (2016) CDs of DD, YA and STS - delivery date was 10th Feb, so assumed I would be getting the new masters...

Unbeknown to me (should have checked really) Warner/Parlophone at some point repackaged the 1999 EMI masters - Young Americans arrived today and it was the 1999 mastering

One word...bugger. :doh:

22. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the DD CD that comes out 2/10 and it says it is the 2016 remaster. The mp3s below it say they are the 1999, but I'm guessing when the CD comes (pre-order, not delivery of 2/10), it will be correct.

Also, the STS is the same mastering as the 2010 box, correct?

23. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

David Live triple album now £15.99 on Amazon.co.uk

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Return to sender if you can, 99 masters and art work are the worst.

MadamAdam and JP Christian like this.
  25. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Warner and Parlophone repackaged everything when they carved up EMI with Universal....

The Kate Bush repackages that now don't have "EMI" on seem to have photocopied inlays too...

JP Christian likes this.